Don't Want to Use fir Bait

Squamishpoacher

Not really something I think I'll need to worry about duplucating because it would likely scare fish away.

I was sawing and splitting some large fir rounds that have been down in the yard for about 3 years when this creature popped out. It's about 2.5 inches long and it's got a nasty looking set of pinchers at the end of its enlarged head. I've never seen one of these before. Anyone know what it is? 20190825_125208.jpg

Bob Newman

When they hatch into their beetle form they look even nastier. I’ve seen them up to 2 inches long, and in the evening enjoying a fire along the Gallatin watched a bat grab one.

Last edited:

Taxon

WFF Moderator
Hi Steve-

I believe your "nasty looking thing" to be a crane fly larva. While the majority of the (approximately 573 North American) species of crane flies are terrestrial, like the one you found in your back yard, some species are aquatic, and as such, are food for fish. Crane flies (which like all true flies), have larval, pupal, and adult (winged) lifestages, but spend the vast majority of their (normally one-year) lifecycle growing in the larval lifestage.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts