Brook trout

Lorraine

Does anyone know a place within 100 miles, that an elderly person who can't hike way into the wilderness can fly fish for brook trout ? Pleas ? While I am still able to fish..?

Matt B

Does it take larger type boats ? We have a 21 foot family boat, inboard , wish we did have a smaller one.
That would not be appropriate for Leech Lake.

WDFW has an online tool where you can search out lakes overpopulated with brook trout. I don’t have the link handy but a quick google search should yield the result I’m thinking of, which will help you. But you still might need a boat; otherwise, practice your roll cast.

Lorraine

Leech Lake. Fly only, no motors, Forest Service boat launch. Some kind of boat is necessary, it is not fishable from shore.
Thanks Jerry, we don't have a small boat.. maybe we should consider getting one. . We generally like to fly fish while we are walking , thatbis what we have been used to doing in Wyoming. Thank you .

Lorraine

That would not be appropriate for Leech Lake.

WDFW has an online tool where you can search out lakes overpopulated with brook trout. I don’t have the link handy but a quick google search should yield the result I’m thinking of, which will help you. But you still might need a boat; otherwise, practice your roll cast.
Thank you Matt, we would probably be happiest with a river, that is what we are used to. Preferably with tent camping .

tkww

Oh.. I hope it does somewhere
Not in WA that I know of. I'm sure there are some some small streams that have them, but we're talking really tiny water and really tiny fish. The WDFW has made an effort to get rid of them since they can interbreed with native Bulls. (By "effort" I mean generally removed all harvest restrictions.)

SquatchinSince86

Totally Unprofessional
I know of a few places in eastern Washington, but that's not in your radius.

Incidentally, we found a pocket of them yesterday close to seattle.

Last edited:
Does it need to be brook trout or would rainbows and cutthroat suffice? There are rivers that meet your criteria but the brookies are definitely the minority trout and not common.

Latest posts