Antelope hide worth saving?

theleo91386

I don't tie yet, but I'll be getting into it at some point to keep the family supplied. Anyways, I've got an antelope tag to fill and I'm just curious if I should plan for keeping the hide or not worry about it? A quick search on here seems like antelope is pretty limited on it's usefulness for tying flies.

Guy Gregory

Yeah, it's an unusual hair. I've used it fairly sparingly in patterns usually calling for deer, just because.
The skin of the pronghorn is thin and easy to rip when skinning. But the tanned hide is supple and beautiful.
Ya gotta keep some, I'd pick belly or back or both, just for the memory. Good luck!

Buzzy

Optimistic on your hunt's success! I've tied floating muddler minnows with antelope since it seems to be more buoyant than deer. It's certainly more buoyant but it is also fragile and more easily torn by trout teeth...... I don't use it anymore (but then I don't find much use for the floating muddler). You might pick and choose a few pieces for curing and saving.

Ron McNeal

Life's good!
Yeah, it's an unusual hair. I've used it fairly sparingly in patterns usually calling for deer, just because.
The skin of the pronghorn is thin and easy to rip when skinning. But the tanned hide is supple and beautiful.
Ya gotta keep some, I'd pick belly or back or both, just for the memory. Good luck!
I know little about antelope, and nothing about their hair, but that sure sounds like a great idea.

Meeshka

I find it a very bouyant hollow hair, good for spinning, but somewhat fragile that it can be fairly easily cut with tying thread. I kept a representative parts hide of all game animals I harvest, elk, moose, bear, deer, and antelope as well as feathers from ducks, geese, and upland. It also helps that my buddy is a retired taxidermist.

Doug

Riogrande King

If the tips of the white belly hair are generally unbroken you've got a treasure. I love it for trudes; it is basically unsinkable and extremely bright on the water.
That said, this describes an extremely rare speed goat. You're much more likely to find broken hair there.

theleo91386

Thanks for your input guys. I've got part of a hide salted and will see what else needs to be done to preserve it. My wife saw me salting it and gave me an "eww" when I told her what it was. When I told her the why, she was all for it. :rolleyes:

Guess I'll have to start looking at vises now.

Chic Worthing

I have a friend who got drawn fora Havenlina in AZ. and gave me the salted hide along the backbone. You could do serious damage you yourself with the tip of these.

sconnie

Always good to see someone putting their money where there mouth is, in regard to using the whole animal. Play around with it (hide) and see what works for you. Salted out my last whitetail hide, a duck or two and a wayward rabbit just to see where I might use them down the line.

Latest posts