Team Engel here

I bought an Rtic last year for 2/3 price of a Yeti; discounted now on home site: 45 qt is $185, free shipping. Very happy with it. Throw a couple frozen milk jugs filled with water in the cooler for a day or more, cools it right down.

mbowers

I know a guy who was using Kennedy turnbuckles to hold down his Engel in the triangular tiedown hole just like I do as recommended by Engel. Engel even sold me the turnbuckles with the cooler. When his cooler failed in the turnbuckle attachment hole, Engel's response was that hole was not be used for a tiedown attachment and the cooler was not covered under warranty. Since Engel won't cover its product when I use it as recommended with accessories that they sold me there will be no more Engel for me.
Screenshot_20180906-165732~2.png

Creatch'r

Heavies...
Get with the program, you need the cooler before the paint job, then you can custom paint the cooler to match the boat.
White cooler will match the white boat. I should rephrase that... not a new paint job per se, just getting it lettered with my boat name on it.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
I know a guy who was using Kennedy turnbuckles to hold down his Engel in the triangular tiedown hole just like I do as recommended by Engel. Engel even sold me the turnbuckles with the cooler. When his cooler failed in the turnbuckle attachment hole, Engel's response was that hole was not be used for a tiedown attachment and the cooler was not covered under warranty. Since Engel won't cover its product when I use it as recommended with accessories that they sold me there will be no more Engel for me.
View attachment 210255
pretty sure the tie-down hole is the one above the triangle. you run a strap through there.
Maybe thats why Engel only sell the straps on their website...

View attachment 210259
Yeah I was about to say... I'm pretty sure they're designed to be used with the straps. That's the only way I've seen Engel show that setup.

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
I shared the photo with my cooler guy. Here was his response:

"I've seen it...but mostly on coolers we've recovered after they were stolen. It's not a popular spot to use to tie down. And no one uses turnbuckles anymore. I'm positive it can happen with an over-tightened turnbuckle, but WE don't sell turnbuckles, and never have. Not in the last 5 years, at least. We sell a tie-down strap kit. That's it.

It's got black rope handles...so I can only assume it's a gray cooler. We didn't start selling those until 3 years ago and I can absolutely say we didn't sell turnbuckles then. Anyway, most any turnbuckle can still be utilized at the strap opening right above it.

Have him reach out to me and I'm happy to chat about it."

If you want his contact info, just send me a pm and I'll get you in touch. Then you can have a cooler guy as well.

Team Engel.

Lakota

I wish I were on team Engle. My wife and I had the Engle 50 on our wedding gift wish lift and the in-laws got us a Yeti 65 instead thinking it would be an upgrade. The Yeti stays home 90% of the time. I picked up the Stanley Adventure 30 on a closeout deal and it has been great. Ice for days, 1/4 the weight of the yeti, and the Stanley lifetime warranty. Bonus points that is fits perfectly in my little raft.

Anybody want to buy a Yeti?

IMG_5680 (1).JPG

mbowers

I shared the photo with my cooler guy. Here was his response:

"I've seen it...but mostly on coolers we've recovered after they were stolen. It's not a popular spot to use to tie down. And no one uses turnbuckles anymore. I'm positive it can happen with an over-tightened turnbuckle, but WE don't sell turnbuckles, and never have. Not in the last 5 years, at least. We sell a tie-down strap kit. That's it.

It's got black rope handles...so I can only assume it's a gray cooler. We didn't start selling those until 3 years ago and I can absolutely say we didn't sell turnbuckles then. Anyway, most any turnbuckle can still be utilized at the strap opening right above it.

Have him reach out to me and I'm happy to chat about it."

If you want his contact info, just send me a pm and I'll get you in touch. Then you can have a cooler guy as well.

Team Engel.
Here's a shot from their website never selling turnbuckles nor showing how they should be used in the triangular hole.. If you don't want someone using your hole the same way you used to recommend it be used, you should probably not offer that hole anymore. Just sayin'.

My cooler is currently fine with turnbuckles in the triangular hole and I don't want to redrill my boat for straps when I bought cooler and turnbuckles simultaneously from Engel. I am now concerned the cooler might break free at a bad time though..

Screenshot_20190909-171334_Photos.jpg

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Reading through this thread I've decided that I have been seriously cooler shamed.

Latest posts