Flies you never leave home without

teedub

I am from Michigan so I am biased - I always have two dozen Adams (4 sizes) In my glove box and a three weight and reel, tippet and floatant in my truck.

Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor/dbfly
New guy building up my fly collection. Pretty dismal right now.....

What flies do you not leave home without? River fishing, clear water.

chadk

Be the guide...
Where I fish now (Wisconsin's Driftless Area), I could easily catch all the fish I want with a single fly, the Pink Squirrel. I've caught Browns, Brookies, and Rainbow with it.
View attachment 210332
I also never leave without a few Muddler Minnows in smaller sizes - 10's and 12's, a selection of PT nymphs and GRHE's in various configurations, and some soft hackles.
Do you tie those yourself? They look dirty awesome. I'd love to fish those here during low clear conditions for salmon, steelhead, dollies/bulls, cutties, etc. Definitely motivates me to break out the fly tying station again!

chadk

Be the guide...
Also, for something not said yet - I have always had royal wulffs on me. General attractor pattern I've always had good luck with. Rides nice and high. Highly visible. Dries out easily. Anyway, just offering another old standby to the mix.

Driftless Dan

Do you tie those yourself? They look dirty awesome.
Yes and no. I do tie them myself, but that picture is of a friend's fly box. He has the patience to knock that entire set out in one evening while watching TV. The Pink squirrel is a fast tie, even for me, but he does it in about half the time I do - a couple minutes per file, max. One evening last winter, I went over to his house and we had a production line - I put the bead and tail on, hand them off to him, and he can finish the rest in like 90 seconds, seriously. He's a much better fly tier - and fisher! - than I am.

Anyway, great fly for every species of fish - I've caught bluegill and small bass with them as well as trout. I never smaller than 14, never larger than 12.

duggiefresh

A really poorly tied peacock wet fly. I'm not a great tier by any means, but this fly has caught me fish everywhere I've fished.

I like it because it's easy and quick to tie, and I can fish it multiple ways. I can nymph it, swing it, add floatant to it, etc. Lastly, since it's so easy to tie, going to a size 18 isn't that bad. Also, I have a hunch that because I tie so poorly, it looks like a cripple/spent fly, so fish think it's an easy meal!

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
For trout, in WA, and most MT streams and rivers:
1. Attractors - Stimulator (Orange, Green), Royal Wulff, Royal Coachman
2. EHC
3. Prince nymph (purple for the Yak)
4. Pat's Stone (variety of color's and sizes)
5. Midges
6. Compatsdun (small yellow for the Missouri .. near Craig, MT or from Holter lake down size 18 to 22
7. Salmon flies
8. Trico (July / August MT .. my first guided trip on the Missouri I slayed them on trico's.. too small to tie on now with out a threader.
9.PMD
10. Streamers
11more nymphs - copper johns, san juan worms, ??
12. whatever the local fly shop guru recommends
13. more small nymphs
14. traditional wet flies

Driftless Dan

Don't underestimate the value of terrestrials, esp. in the summer.
Absolutely! Out here in the Driftless, most of the caddis and mayfly hatches have disappeared for the summer, but since these streams all meander through pastures and fields, the fish gorge on hoppers, ants, and beetles. Probably the #2 fly in this area, and one I missed, is the Hippy Stomper. Here is one in green, but red, purple, tan, and black also work great. I rarely see these in smaller than 12 and bigger than 10 in this area, but Back West, I know they are tied larger. There is also a "Skinny Hippie," a more slender version that is popular.

hippie-stomper-lime-med_large.jpg

But Lots of hopper patterns are used, probably most popular is the Moorish Hopper.

Zak

For freshwater trout, my "don't leave home without it" flies are beadhead black wooly buggers, the Usual, some scruffy wet flies and my unsinkable dry snowshoe muddler. I've also been liking the cdc & elk.

Zak

For freshwater trout, my "don't leave home without it" flies are beadhead black wooly buggers, the Usual, some scruffy wet flies and my unsinkable dry snowshoe muddler. I've also been liking the cdc & elk.
and ants. lots of ants.
1567539974448.png

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I always have some clouser minnows with me, whether fishing fresh or saltwater.
Easy to tie and they produce.......
SF

dustinchromers

Seems everyone has got you on some good dries and nymphs. I'll add I like buggers in many variations and soft hackles in many variations.

Latest posts