NFR Rant: I’m no huge tree hugger, but this is a crime.

Jojo

A sometimes eternal optimist
WFF Premium
I am so crazed by people who value concrete over old trees.

Our latest condo board is awful, autocratic, dismissive and uncommunicative, which has often happened where i live. Folks seem to get on the board because they love the power they think should come with the position of serving. (I’ve been on it myself but could only stand it for four years.)

Anyway.... how would you feel if you got only 12 hours notice that the big giant 75 year old tree (as i was told by the so-called arborist hired to cut down the tree) outside of your front porch was being cut down? (It’s confirmed that it’s a perfectly healthy tree and you can tell from the parts cut.) This tree has shaded the front of our house beautifully and has kept it very nice and cool and was a great view from our window.

And aside from that, no one thought it important to let us know that this was happening right outside our door. The chainsaws are bad enough but the chipper is about four feet from our patio.

Here is the tree Day 1 before they got started:
And then today, Day 6 of their work: Thank god we have air conditioning. 60EFD865-A9C9-4100-B300-D07A6472156D.jpeg A99D0582-E261-4B23-93C0-8016F2F5DFAA.jpeg

I was told me the roots were getting into the swimming pool but there is no real evidence presented about that nor any lifting of the exposed aggregate pool patio. I think the REAL reason is the woman who is the condo board president for many years swims every morning. And the tree shaded the whole pool during that time she swam. She had also complained about the mess it leaves when it’s windy. I’ve been on the volunteer pool committee for 15 years and it is messy but that is not why you take down a tree.

I am also interested if anyone knows. I think this is a Western Redcedar. Does anyone know?

Last edited:

herkileez

WFF Premium
From the bark, it looks like a western red cedar to me. ( I'm an ex forest engineer ) They need a wet site, so, yes, it may have headed for the pool. They can do a lot of damage, so their reason may be legit, although your suspicion may be also.

Buzzy

My wife and I have been contemplating a move with one option being a condominium where, in theory I guess, you don't worry about the "yard". I hadn't considered this part of condo living. Sorry about the tree.

Cedar or arbor vitae - the roots seek water.

Gyrfalcon21

That is a shame, and I can assume you have no say I replanting a tree there?

I went for a hike today through a spot I have enjoyed for 15 years, only to see it was clearcut earlier this Summer. Part of the bummer of living in the Northwest.

One a sidenote: Having had friends live in "condohoods" where the monthly fees get higher, the privacy and tree and shrub trimming is helter-skelter to murderous, I could not handle not controlling my front yard.

I'll plant you guys a Cedar here, it will look good in 50 years

IveofIone

WFF Premium
Look before you leap Buzzy, an owners association can be your worst nightmare. All too often some pencil-neck dickhead gets a foothold in those things and assumes his lust for power has finally been satisfied. Keep doing that yard work, you will last longer than you would in a condo holding down a rocking chair.

BaldBob

Retired- Navy Captain,Forester,Forestry Consultant
Without a closer look at the foliage, its hard to be sure. It could be a Western red Cedar, but based on its branching pattern, the bark, and its size at 75 yrs, I'm pretty sure its a Sequoia (Sequoia gigantea).

nomlasder

WFF Premium
I am so crazed by people who value concrete over old trees.

Our latest condo board is awful, autocratic, dismissive and uncommunicative, which has often happened where i live. Folks seem to get on the board because they love the power they think should come with the position of serving. (I’ve been on it myself but could only stand it for four years.)

Anyway.... how would you feel if you got only 12 hours notice that the big giant 75 year old tree (as i was told by the so-called arborist hired to cut down the tree) outside of your front porch was being cut down? (It’s confirmed that it’s a perfectly healthy tree and you can tell from the parts cut.) This tree has shaded the front of our house beautifully and has kept it very nice and cool and was a great view from our window.

And aside from that, no one thought it important to let us know that this was happening right outside our door. The chainsaws are bad enough but the chipper is about four feet from our patio.

Here is the tree Day 1 before they got started:
And then today, Day 6 of their work: Thank god we have air conditioning. View attachment 210307 View attachment 210308

I was told me the roots were getting into the swimming pool but there is no real evidence presented about that nor any lifting of the exposed aggregate pool patio. I think the REAL reason is the woman who is the condo board president for many years swims every morning. And the tree shaded the whole pool during that time she swam. She had also complained about the mess it leaves when it’s windy. I’ve been on the volunteer pool committee for 15 years and it is messy but that is not why you take down a tree.

I am also interested if anyone knows. I think this is a Western Redcedar. Does anyone know?
We put in the bylaws a maximum expense without a vote of 1000 bucks.

herkileez

WFF Premium
Without a closer look at the foliage, its hard to be sure. It could be a Western red Cedar, but based on its branching pattern, the bark, and its size at 75 yrs, I'm pretty sure its a Sequoia (Sequoia gigantea).

I think you're right....the branching pattern of the stump likely not red cedar.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts