NFR Rant: I’m no huge tree hugger, but this is a crime.

Jojo

A sometimes eternal optimist
WFF Supporter
That’s a Leyland Cypress IMO. A lot of people confuse them with Western red cedar. Could also be an incense cedar as was mentioned earlier, but in this area there are a lot of Leyland’s planted In the wrong place because people buy them at Home Depot and have no idea how big they get. Also agree, 6 days to cut that thing down is a joke.

Sorry about your experience though, to remove a tree like that with no notice is a crock.

I was looking online bconrad and Leyland Cypress don’t seem to have the kind of trunk that this one does. It’s not blue green or pyramid shaped. D6CF67AE-2500-4ED3-BF2A-F1C408554FC1.jpeg

JACKspASS

I was contracted 12+ years for several HOA's. There is always somebody bitching about something. I actually had folks run out to greet me, to tell me the latest news, what the neighbors did, etc....Management always has somebody on a power trip, however, i ran across some awesome folks who live in these places.

Thanks for bringing back a flood of memories ive tried to erase, Jojo:D

Swimmy

Practice your craft.
WFF Supporter

laugh_zpsjibvvpur.gif

Jojo

A sometimes eternal optimist
WFF Supporter
Today i was asked would i be helping put out the flags for Labor Day and i said i was no longer doing one minute of volunteer help unless this board changes. I started thinking about what i have done to help this community. This list is pretty long.

1. Each patriot holiday i help out out the little flags all around and pick them up.
2. I served on the pool committee for nearly 15 years and served as the first chair for about 5 years. I troubleshooted many problems and researched and dealt with contracted pool companies and got bids from pool companies for recovering the pool’s surface.
3. I was on the board for four years before i couldn’t stand the power trips of the board members (who are totally different from this board).
4. I organized the decorations for Christmas at the clubhouse when i was on the board.
5. My husband put up the Christmas lights on the Clubhouse for those years too.
6. Last summer when the grounds folks quit over one board member in charge who pissed them off and It took awhile to hire a new company i put in 20 hours weeding and pruning.
7. I have helped shovel topsoil.
8. I have helped organize folks to vote for an increase in HOA dues a few weeks ago.
9. My husbands band played for free at the pool opening this year.
10. I helped redecorate the clubhouse on three different occasions getting rid of outdated old lady decor.
11. I rearranged the library room in the clubhouse.
12. During a major storm one February years ago when i was still on the board for some weird reason the only power in the whole area in our community (and outside too) was in the clubhouse. Over a period of two or three days I opened it up and put a sign on the door and told people to come and bring their snacks and beverages etc and join us. And i kept it open all day and until 10 pm so people could stay warm.
13. I designed and created a Vistaprint account and made all of the signs for the pool that are required by the health department.

So yes, it’s their loss. Not that they will think of it that way.

Last edited:
D

dld

Throat singing is awesome. I suggest watching the documentary, 'Genghis Blues', about the blind blues musician, Paul Pena, traveling to Tuva to compete in a huge throat singing competition.

The punk musician woman is not great.

BaldBob

Retired- Navy Captain,Forester,Forestry Consultant
View attachment 210351
In reading online i do think it’s a western red cedar which i understand an arborvitae is a version of a younger one. I measured the circumference of the stump about three feet from the ground and it’s 140 inches around. I wanted to find out what that might mean in years. Just curious.
Based on the foliage picture above I concur on the Western Red Cedar ID. However, to be sure of that and that it's not Leyland Cypress or Incense Cedar, look on the underside of the fronds. WRC will have white markings on the bracts while Leland Cypress and Incense Cedar will not. BTW bark appearance and juvenile growth form are among the least reliable characteristics to use for most tree ID's.
Although WRC sometimes goes by the common name of Giant Arborvitae, the Arborvitae commonly used for decorative planting and visual barriers is a different specie -WRC = Thuja plicata, Arborvitae = Thuja occidentalis. Incense Cedar is an entierly different genus -Calcocedrus decurrens.
Your tree looks to have been less than 35 yrs old. Diameter and age are only loosely coorelated. It is not uncommon for two trees of the same species near each other both in age and location to have 1000% difference in diameter, e.g 6" Dia. tree under a 60"dia. tree both about 150yrs. old. Herecleze gave good instructions on how you can determine the age of this tree. To get even closer - count the growth rings add two years for initial seedling growth and 1 year for every foot of stump height. Or simply find out when the house was built since the tree was probably planted as a 3yr old seedling then.

BaldBob

its a goddamn incense cedar. Ill bet 50 bucks on it. any takers?
Before I took that bet, I'd want to see a close up of the underside of the foliage. BTW I have over 50 yrs experience as a professional forester, with some of those years in Northern Cal where Incense Cedar is extremely common. A quick look on the ground underneath the tree for the fruiting bodies would absolutely determine the ID if any were found.

SawyerJones

Before I took that bet, I'd want to see a close up of the underside of the foliage. BTW I have over 50 yrs experience as a professional forester, with some of those years in Northern Cal where Incense Cedar is extremely common. A quick look on the ground underneath the tree for the fruiting bodies would absolutely determine the ID if any were found.

I've spent a couple of few years working in PNW forests also, and I'm going with incense cedar. The foliage scales certainly seem like incense and not red cedar. would not be the first time i'm wrong though!

BaldBob

JoJo- another quick way to tell is smell the wood. If it smells like a freshly sharpened wood pencil, its Incense Cedar. If it has a pleasant smell vaguely like a cedar chest, its Western Red Cedar.

SawyerJones

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info