NFR Rant: I’m no huge tree hugger, but this is a crime.

Hem

I'm sorry but you ARE a tree hugger. Most of us are but wont admit it.
As someone who makes their living building shelter for humans from wood products I still find trees have tremendous value from both sides of the spectrum. This summer i have the unusual good fortune to work in the shade.
Crank some RUSH at her.

Jojo

A sometimes eternal optimist
WFF Supporter
JoJo, the great Guy Clark has a song about a tree being cut..

I have a few Guy Clark albums and love how he tells a story (that i am so sure are from his real life)! He has a song wrote about his dog being shot on New Years Day.

@Hem, we had a huge tree cut down here a few months ago that was at the end of our sidewalk to the road. That tree had lifted up the road so badly that a woman tripped walking her dog and broke her hip shortly after it was cut down. I did not get mad about that one. THIS tree bugs me because i believe we are being lied to because it shaded the pool in the morning. Now we have blazing sun exposure where it was so nice and cool and it provided a sound barrier from the screaming kids at the pool. But mainly it was how it was handled and how i feel we are being deceived as to why.

I keep looking online cause now y’all have me curious. I have always just called it simply a cedar tree but now i want to figure out just what kind. I keep going back to Western Red cedar. I’m going to ask the so-called arborist - the guy who is also cutting it down, exactly what kind of cedar it is.

JoJo- another quick way to tell is smell the wood. If it smells like a freshly sharpened wood pencil, its Incense Cedar. If it has a pleasant smell vaguely like a cedar chest, its Western Red Cedar.

So i just went outside and broke off a branch and smelled it. It DOES smell like a pencil and my husband said the same thing without me suggesting it to him first. When they cut it down i did expect that it would have had a much stronger cedar smell, like a hope chest but it didn’t.

Y’all are such great resources! I knew when i posted this here that i would get good feedback! Thank you.

And also...thanks for all these ideas on songs! (Gotta love that throat music the most though!) Rush and all the rock stuff works too, as i suspect the condo president is more of a Perry Como type. Hahahaha.

Hatty

Okay, Jo. I have 1k$ on it being a Western Red.

Not incense. Bark not thick enough, and wood color is wrong

Not Sequoia. Just not.

Sorry about the loss of your magnificent tree. I love living in shady tree streets.

But in another 3 or 4 hundred years you would have (had) a truly monstrous speciman there. And a monstrous project to remove a tree of that size. If only they could have waited until after you are gone!

bconrad

I was looking online bconrad and Leyland Cypress don’t seem to have the kind of trunk that this one does. It’s not blue green or pyramid shaped. View attachment 210370
Leland’s look a lot different depending on where they are planted and how they are pruned. The photos you are showing are of nursery stock designed to act as a hedge. An open grown Leyland will look much different. They can get very big when planted in an area without competition.

Maybe you can post a closer pic of the branch/leaves? That will help narrow it down.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
I am so crazed by people who value concrete over old trees.

Our latest condo board is awful, autocratic, dismissive and uncommunicative, which has often happened where i live. Folks seem to get on the board because they love the power they think should come with the position of serving. (I’ve been on it myself but could only stand it for four years.)

Anyway.... how would you feel if you got only 12 hours notice that the big giant 75 year old tree (as i was told by the so-called arborist hired to cut down the tree) outside of your front porch was being cut down? (It’s confirmed that it’s a perfectly healthy tree and you can tell from the parts cut.) This tree has shaded the front of our house beautifully and has kept it very nice and cool and was a great view from our window.

And aside from that, no one thought it important to let us know that this was happening right outside our door. The chainsaws are bad enough but the chipper is about four feet from our patio.

Here is the tree Day 1 before they got started:
And then today, Day 6 of their work: Thank god we have air conditioning. View attachment 210307 View attachment 210308

I was told me the roots were getting into the swimming pool but there is no real evidence presented about that nor any lifting of the exposed aggregate pool patio. I think the REAL reason is the woman who is the condo board president for many years swims every morning. And the tree shaded the whole pool during that time she swam. She had also complained about the mess it leaves when it’s windy. I’ve been on the volunteer pool committee for 15 years and it is messy but that is not why you take down a tree.

I am also interested if anyone knows. I think this is a Western Redcedar. Does anyone know?

It took them six days to take that little tree down. Those are some hacks, my old crew could have done that in 3 hrs.
Sorry for your loss, but thats condo living.

bconrad

Oh and post pics of both the top and bottom of the leaves/foliage up close. A lot of conifers have distinct markings called stomata that help differentiate similar varieties.

Edit: cause I can’t read I skipped over the blue green trunk. As you said that’s not Leyland, incense cedar sounds right

Last edited:

Jojo

WFF Supporter
It took them six days to take that little tree down. Those are some hacks, my old crew could have done that in 3 hrs.
Sorry for your loss, but thats condo living.
This is NOT a little tree. And it’s one of the tallest trees here, maybe the tallest. I don’t have the right lens on my camera to get the whole tree in the photo but It was a very tall tree. There is a lot more to the tree at the top than is shown in this photo.

Though it still should not have taken 6 days and more. They aren’t working full days and they don’t come every day so now we are going into the third week which for me is like ripping of a bandaid very very slow.

And they are not done yet. They have at least two more days since they still need to grind out the stump. Here is the photo again before they got started.
25A3458D-3AFB-4E00-A745-7BA69A9D588C.jpeg

Jojo

WFF Supporter
What’s kind of funny about how slow the guy in the tree was is that the two guys feeding the chipper had to wait around a lot. It was breezy one day and because my fuschia kept swinging in the breeze my Arlo security camera picked up ALOT of their conversations (that’s how close they are to my front porch). I could hear everything they said and it was pretty interesting. And i heard some stuff i shouldn’t have. Also some funny conversations about how much they hate their exes. The next morning i told them as much as i wanted to listen in and be entertained that they need to be aware that my security camera was picking up their conversation.

Jojo

WFF Supporter
P.S. And dammit, I had to move that fuschia as the full sun would kill it now. It was doing so great on my front porch too.

Jojo

WFF Supporter
99AB7DE9-BA6D-48F4-A533-365557467049.jpeg
Leland’s look a lot different depending on where they are planted and how they are pruned. The photos you are showing are of nursery stock designed to act as a hedge. An open grown Leyland will look much different. They can get very big when planted in an area without competition.

Maybe you can post a closer pic of the branch/leaves? That will help narrow it down.

Here is what i put up a few pages back. though it’s not one of the sturdy branches because those were already put in the chipper. The leaves are the same color on both sides.

Milt Roe

Looks like a Leyland Cyprus to me. A cross between two similar and related native west coast species, popular in the landscaping trade, Port Orford cedar X monterey cyprus. Fast growing, but not a particularly handsome tree when mature.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
It looks like Leyland Cyprus to me as well. Twice a year I trimmed a Leyland Cyprus hedge that was 12 - 20 foot tall and about 900-1100 feet in Madison Park! It looked like a lasar beam trimmed it when I was done, did it probably 10 times.
I [email protected]%$#NG HATE Leyland Cyprus!

Grayone

Fishin' to the end, Oc.P
WFF Supporter
With the upward branching structure, I would say Leyland cypress. Being a Leyland, it was definitely planted in the wrong place.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info