NFR Rant: I’m no huge tree hugger, but this is a crime.

Jojo

A sometimes eternal optimist
WFF Supporter
I really don’t think it is a Leyland Cypress given what our tree looked like. But i really do wonder what it is. Here are photos to compare:
B4289ECB-2927-43B9-9DD1-4C1115C9E2A4.jpeg 4BB09180-87EF-4685-A00B-7B029A40AF21.jpeg 0F60B841-4F64-4D12-B991-6B1429400527.jpeg
BAD1C343-4AB4-424E-8862-052BEC0030DD.jpeg
The first photo is Leyland and i don’t think the needles looking anything like what is on our tree. And i loved how our tree looked. Plus it had such a fabulous trunk.

The second photo is Western Red Cedar.

The third is Incense Cedar

The last is a photo i took this morning of our tree and granted it is from a branch that was cut from the tree many days ago, lying on the ground so it’s a bit weary looking.

I think it looks most like Western Red Cedar to me.

BaldBob

Retired- Navy Captain,Forester,Forestry Consultant
OK, based on JoJo's observation that the fronds are the same color top & bottom and that the wood smells like a sharpened wood pencil, I absolutely concur with Sawyer Jones that it is an Incense Cedar and I decline to bet against him, I will however take up Hatty's $1K bet that its a Leyland Cypress.
BTW the reason Incense Cedar wood and the wood in wood pencils smell the same is that they are the same. The wood in wooden pencils is Incense Cedar.

Hatty

OK, based on JoJo's observation that the fronds are the same color top & bottom and that the wood smells like a sharpened wood pencil, I absolutely concur with Sawyer Jones that it is an Incense Cedar and I decline to bet against him, I will however take up Hatty's $1K bet that its a Leyland Cypress.
BTW the reason Incense Cedar wood and the wood in wood pencils smell the same is that they are the same. The wood in wooden pencils is Incense Cedar.
Wait, I am betting on it being a Western Red Cedar.!!!~

Jojo

WFF Supporter
We had a Jambalaya party with the gathering of 6 other friends on the pool committee who are resigning with me. They all agree it is a Western Red Cedar and one is emphatic that it is. But when I zoom in on the my photo of my tree and compare it to the incense cedar, to me the needles look the same. I also thought a WRC would have smelled way more fragrant.

Here is another photo I found this online (apparently many people can’t tell the difference between WRC and Incense Cedar). Looking at this side by side and my cedar branch below i am going with Incense now for sure.

Thanks again everyone for your comments and ideas!

096B4551-DB5F-4B4C-AF51-B495C967E281.jpeg
2B34CB4F-3C35-4E84-BE15-FEA76BD15051.jpeg

Last edited:

Hatty

JoJo, you are just going to have to take a speciman to a laboratory for analysis. You know, just for something to do, as a deflection strategy, so you do not spend too much time in the anger phase of grief!

My neighborhood has trees, especially Douglas Firs and Western Red Cedar that are about the same age. 75 to 100 years old, and many are starting to outgrow the site they are planted in. People are having to start bringing them down. These are not good ornamental trees on small urban lots, or near structures. They are around 30-40" dbh now, and people think, what nice mature lovely trees they are! But they are juvenile trees, with multi-hundred year lifespans, and in the country we live in are capable of growing to truly spectacular sizes, 8 or 10 foot diameters. And larger. (This may not be reassuring to you now! But this is the best I can do).

BTW, I do wear the Tree Hugger hat. Even being a former lumberjack. I just do Love trees. My favorite plants, by far.

herkileez

WFF Supporter
My neighborhood has trees, especially Douglas Firs and Western Red Cedar that are about the same age. 75 to 100 years old, and many are starting to outgrow the site they are planted in. People are having to start bringing them down. These are not good ornamental trees on small urban lots, or near structures. They are around 30-40" dbh now, and people think, what nice mature lovely trees they are! But they are juvenile trees, with multi-hundred year lifespans, and in the country we live in are capable of growing to truly spectacular sizes, 8 or 10 foot diameters. And larger. (This may not be reassuring to you now! But this is the best I can do).

And there it is....I agree the tree was planted in the wrong place to begin with. If it was this size at +-75 years, it was only going to get much bigger, and more unmanageable, lifting concrete/fences/pools, etc.
RIP Red/Incense Cedar.

smc

We had a Jambalaya party with the gathering of 6 other friends on the pool committee who are resigning with me. They all agree it is a Western Red Cedar and one is emphatic that it is. But when I zoom in on the my photo of my tree and compare it to the incense cedar, to me the needles look the same. I also thought a WRC would have smelled way more fragrant.

Here is another photo I found this online (apparently many people can’t tell the difference between WRC and Incense Cedar). Looking at this side by side and my cedar branch below i am going with Incense now for sure.

Thanks again everyone for your comments and ideas!

View attachment 210576
View attachment 210577

I think you've got it right Jojo. The key to me - and @Grayone mentioned this - is the uplifted branching structure evident in the remains of the stump. Western Red Cedars typically have straight trunks that make really good saw logs. They only branch if they've been damaged.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
Since we are on the subject of trees I thought I would add a little bit here. One of my buddies in Washington had a live Christmas tree. And after the holiday was over with he gave it to my dad. My dad planted it in the corner of the front yard, That was over 30 years ago, I drove by the house before I came to Montana. That tree fleshed out and was almost 30 feet high. I don't believe it is still there as it was close to power lines.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
One of my buddies in Washington had a live Christmas tree.
My rural/suburban 1 acre lot is heavily wooded. It started out in the early 80s with just two Doug firs out front. One is a big boy with a 6' diameter trunk. There was also a 10' Blue Spruce as an ornamental. That big fir drops a lot of cones and after a few years I was grooming and cutting our annual Christmas tree from the front yard. It progressed to giving them away. Then they outpaced us and I had a dozen 25'+ firs taken out. The big boy is still there, along with the 30' Spruce and there are still a couple of 30' firs (they'll be coming down), plus a nearly 20' tall English(?) Holly "tree", but now I treat the fir sprouts like weeds.

Last edited:

BaldBob

Retired- Navy Captain,Forester,Forestry Consultant
And there it is....I agree the tree was planted in the wrong place to begin with. If it was this size at +-75 years, it was only going to get much bigger, and more unmanageable, lifting concrete/fences/pools, etc.
RIP Red/Incense Cedar.
Hatty and Herkileze - That tree is nowhere near 75 years old, more like 35. Count he growth rings on the stump in the picture that JoJo provided.

herkileez

WFF Supporter
Hatty and Herkileze - That tree is nowhere near 75 years old, more like 35. Count he growth rings on the stump in the picture that JoJo provided.

I didn't count them, but will take your word for it...although seems like a huge amount of growth in 35 years....Wow !

Jojo

WFF Supporter
@BaldBob.... i’m not surprised that the “arborist” they hired to look at the tree before they decided to remove it got it wrong. The “arborist” they hired is the same guy paid to cut it down. At this point, i believe i know more about trees than he does.

That stump part in the photo was higher up on the tree. They haven’t gotten to the bottom thickest part of the trunk yet. Does that matter? I believe the tree was here before these places were built, which was 1974.

Today marks the third week. They started this TWO WEEKS ago.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts