NFR Rant: I’m no huge tree hugger, but this is a crime.

Jojo

A sometimes eternal optimist
WFF Supporter
Somebody must be paying by the hour. A week would be ridiculous. 3 weeks is a sin.
The owner of the company told me they were paying him $3500 for the job. I asked because i wanted to know how much would it have cost had they saved the tree and put up a root barrier from the pool. He said a root barrier would be a lot more. Not sure they are even coming today because the pool is not covered yet. This also drives me crazy. Not knowing when they plan to come.

This was supposed to be done in three days. If this happened in front of the condo board president’s home she would have been screaming bloody murder. She once stopped the idea of a community garden with a petition because it was going to be planted near her unit.

Jojo

WFF Supporter
She is swimming this morning. I’m currently blasting Drake from my patio while watering my plants.

Jojo

WFF Supporter
That certainly explains why the pool didn't get covered . . .
Yep. She is probably having them show up later so she gets her swim in before the 10 am opening time.

Ha! I actually like some Drake, but oh boy there is a parental advisory on his music for good reason. I switched to Eminem. He’s not PG either but fewer N words. She doesn’t have the best hearing but I hope at least the bass is resonating over at the pool. I’m sitting in the sun outside my garage so it’s not driving me too crazy.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
WFF Supporter
You need to dig up some old Richard Pryor routines and blast that at her.

Jojo

WFF Supporter
You need to dig up some old Richard Pryor routines and blast that at her.
I had the Eminem and Drake playing so loud that i had to sit outside my patio in the driveway so i could read. My newspaper guy (who i really like) smiled and said to me “You having a party!” I said yes i am.

Then later after about 90 minutes when i turned it down after she left and I went inside my patio. The maintenance guy (who is a friend) yelled over the fence at me and came around and he said “We heard your music!” And Dave (his co worker) said ‘I didn’t know you liked music like THAT!’” And i said, “I didn’t know either, but i do now. I really do like it!” (Though i would like to blank out the N-words.) I don’t mind the F-words, so yes WW, some Richard Pryor could be fun! Fun for me too.

This is kind of fun actually.

I asked him where the tree guys were and he said they hadn’t returned his calls. It looks like this:

22F0BEBF-7EE6-4972-A307-D23B132453E9.jpeg If they don’t get it down soon i’ll start nailing signs to it.

Last edited:

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
The owner of the company told me they were paying him $3500 for the job. I asked because i wanted to know how much would it have cost had they saved the tree and put up a root barrier from the pool. He said a root barrier would be a lot more. Not sure they are even coming today because the pool is not covered yet. This also drives me crazy. Not knowing when they plan to come.

This was supposed to be done in three days. If this happened in front of the condo board president’s home she would have been screaming bloody murder. She once stopped the idea of a community garden with a petition because it was going to be planted near her unit.

Arborist, tree cutter, root barrier installer....jack of all trades, master of none.
Maybe he can paint the building then seal coat and stripe the parking area and clean the pool while he is at it.
SF

Shad

I'm at the airport in Anchorage (and just a bit drunk), and I have just two (likely errant) thoughts on this thread:

1. HOA = Horde of Assholes

2. That tree was very likely a cedar (in my very amateur opinion), but the wood is much less "red" in color than the Western Red Cedars I've come to know quite well, so I'll roll with incense. Mature red cedars seem to have more droopy branches, too....

Jojo

WFF Supporter
I'm at the airport in Anchorage (and just a bit drunk), and I have just two (likely errant) thoughts on this thread:

1. HOA = Horde of Assholes

2. That tree was very likely a cedar (in my very amateur opinion), but the wood is much less "red" in color than the Western Red Cedars I've come to know quite well, so I'll roll with incense. Mature red cedars seem to have more droopy branches, too....
Laughed at the part “and just a bit drunk”!
Chainsaw art? @nomlasder ....something phallic maybe. This is right next to the pool gate so i imagine it would come down soon if i do something to it. The pool is opened until the end of the month.

Billy McFly

$3,500? That cant be for one tree. Does that include stump grinding? Even if it did that's ridicules. I paid $1800 for a huge twin tree single stump tree a couple of years ago. Sorry for the loss Jojo.

Jeff Peacock

Jojo. I'll start by saying my wife and I moved out of Seattle and the HOA related BS last month - or better stated how some residents used the HOA. Over the last year I served as the HOA President because I wanted to make a positive change and knew I had to get involved to do it. It wore me out and serving in that capacity really gave me insight into how HOA's can be manipulated by a few to get the outcome that serves them best. It was the final validation it was time for us to move on after four long years.
It seems to me the direction you might take is related to what outcome you are interested in. If it is to vent and then move on (which I TOTALLY get), that is certainly understandable. If you are interested in reparations and/or considering legal recourse, take a close look at the "Conditions, Covenants and Restrictions" together with the Bylaws of the HOA. I'd bet there are some clear guidelines regarding actions that may be taken on individual properties within the HOA- in particular there is almost certainly a minimum notice time to property owners along the lines of 30 or 45 days before taking action. Twelve days doesn't even pass a straight-face test.
All that said, the graveyards are full of tombstones that say "Yeah, but I was right"! Most HOA's have way too many people with nothing but time on their hands who can monopolize your valuable time and cause a lot of additional stress in your life- you could be essentially taking legal action against all your neighbors, even though it may be just a few who drove the issue.
BTW, we are thrilled to be out of Seattle. From our new home we can only see one neighbor's roof. We traded city noise and filthy conditions throughout much of the city for listening to saw whet's hooting at each other all night, beach fishing for cutt's n salmon and even saw a gray whale from the house last week.
Best of luck in what ever direction you choose.

BaldBob

Retired- Navy Captain,Forester,Forestry Consultant
@BaldBob.

That stump part in the photo was higher up on the tree. They haven’t gotten to the bottom thickest part of the trunk yet. Does that matter? I believe the tree was here before these places were built, which was 1974.

Today marks the third week. They started this TWO WEEKS ago.
To get within 2-3 years +or- of true tree age with a stump of that height : to the growth ring count, add 1 year of age for each foot the cut is above the ground plus 2 years for initial seedling growth. Since Incense Cedar is not native to this area, it's unlikely that it was there before the community was built.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts