2020 Alaska Trip Recommendations

Dan Massaro

My dad and I are interested in doing a trip to Alaska next summer. I know there have probably been a hundred threads posted on this topic, but I wanted to list some of our main criteria and see if anyone has any specific recommendations. We have not completely nailed down all the details of what we want to do but have decided we want good opportunities for either Kings or Silvers with the ability to fish for rainbows or grayling as well. Our budget will probably be around $3k-4k each before airfare and would ideally like to fish for 6-7 days. I am aware this probably precludes an all inclusive stay at most of the nicer lodges in Bristol Bay and other premier areas. We would like to avoid "road fishing" and hitting the crowded areas like the Kenai. But we really do not need a luxury experience. We just want to maximize guided fishing time on less crowded water. Something that offsets the cost with bare bones type cabins would be excellent. I am also interested in learning more about folks' experience doing 6-7 day guided overnight floats in remote areas as that seems like another good way to offset cost while still getting to fish some of the more famed rivers in the region. Otherwise, something where we could fish guided for 3-4 days while still having good access to do an additional 3-4 days DIY would be appealing.

Would love to get some specific lodge and guide names to start researching. Thanks in advance.

Creatch'r

Hesitant Member
Naknek river in King Salmon. I haven’t looked too deep into lodges or boat rentals because I made some friends down there but that river is magic. You can make it happen without a full week of guiding to save some coin. Tons of options in king salmon but that place was recommended to me by a board member and I drove by their camp many times and it’s literally right where you want to be.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
No idea what it costs, but a good friend is guiding on at the Togiak River Lodge this summer and having a blast. Chinook fishing was good but since they started coho fishing he's been averaging 100-150 coho a day his clients, a high percentage on top water flies.

Might be worth looking into.

I'm still wishing I could have taken that gig, but just can't justify being that far away from the family all summer

Young Engh

+1 for the Naknek River. My buddy and I ran into a guide in a bar after the Bristol bay season and he took us up the river for 200 each. Such an incredible day. We cast streamers to huge rainbows crashing bait. We would wait till the fish would start to boil and it was madness. Like salt water fishing. We may have consumed an entire bottle of makers mark but that’s a different story. The prices are super reasonable for a week and looks to be in your budget. Obviously pick the season according to which fish you want to target.

www.naknekrivercamp.com

winxp_man

Steelhead Bum
No idea what it costs, but a good friend is guiding on at the Togiak River Lodge this summer and having a blast. Chinook fishing was good but since they started coho fishing he's been averaging 100-150 coho a day his clients, a high percentage on top water flies.

Might be worth looking into.

I'm still wishing I could have taken that gig, but just can't justify being that far away from the family all summer

The 7 day at the Togiak River Lodge is about 6.5K from last I checked. Might be a bit above what the Op wanted to pay for a AK trip.

g_smolt

Recreational User
Rainbow Bend Lodge in King Salmon, or Seasons on the Fly just downstream from Iguiagig.

These two are top-notch operations (I've fished over 75 days with Rainbow Bend, my personal fave), and right in the pocket of what you are looking for.

FWIW, the going rate for 7 days at many of the Bbay lodges is now $9.5K+

Both of the above-mentioned lodges are in your price range

g_smolt

Recreational User
Tsiau River for Silvers. Dierks Lodge. Great fishing, great people and affordable.

Greg and Darcia Dierick are good folks, and their lodge is a great deal for folks wanting to fish coho. Another great option on the "Lost Coast" of AK is Icy Bay Lodge. Mike York will have you catching coho at a rate you could only imaging in your dreams.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts