Article Flying to alaska rules

luv2fly2

What rules apply to me on the plane? Just found that no bear spray, u need 2 buy it there. Hair spray can't b more than 4 ounces. Any other can do or can't dos we need 2 b aware of? Mww

Salmo_g

I've flown with bear spray and bear-taming knife in checked baggage every time. However, can't take iso-butane or propane fuel canisters even in checked baggage.

Timbow

I've flown with bear spray and bear-taming knife in checked baggage every time. However, can't take iso-butane or propane fuel canisters even in checked baggage.
YIKES!! Please don’t do this, bear spray is strictly prohibited on both carryon and checked baggage. Please don’t risk getting in trouble over a canister of bear spray

Jim Darden

Real men just hunt bear with a switch that you can cut from any available tree, what's the matter with you guys anyway........;)

JM

Just go to the TSA website and click on it will list items that you can carry-on as well as those you can put in your checked baggage. And you are right Timbow. Bear spray is not allowed.

Salmo_g

YIKES!! Please don’t do this, bear spray is strictly prohibited on both carryon and checked baggage. Please don’t risk getting in trouble over a canister of bear spray
Learn something new every day. Seems strange however. If bear spray were to set off in the checked baggage compartment, it wouldn't affect anyone in the passenger area or the pilot's cockpit. And where in Dillingham or King Salmon or Bethel is a person going to buy bear spray? Seems like TSA has yet another cerebral-rectal inversion.

Bonefish Jack

Strictly FF
Learn something new every day. Seems strange however. If bear spray were to set off in the checked baggage compartment, it wouldn't affect anyone in the passenger area or the pilot's cockpit. And where in Dillingham or King Salmon or Bethel is a person going to buy bear spray? Seems like TSA has yet another cerebral-rectal inversion.
Air from the checked baggage compartment is recirculated, and will reach the passenger cabin. This is why bear spray is not allowed in the checked baggage compartment.

Timbow

If your fishing with a guide/outfitter I’m sure they will be armed appropriately and will probably have some you can carry personally if you would feel better. Other option is to ship it to you destination

Salmo_g

Air from the checked baggage compartment is recirculated, and will reach the passenger cabin. This is why bear spray is not allowed in the checked baggage compartment.
I guess I'm still learning. Does seem weird to circulate air from baggage into the passenger cabin.

Salmo_g

If your fishing with a guide/outfitter I’m sure they will be armed appropriately and will probably have some you can carry personally if you would feel better. Other option is to ship it to you destination
A whole lot of DIY fishermen travel to AK. So I guess shipping it to the float plane service is the logical thing. But I've never heard of anyone doing that. Now I'm curious about how most AK anglers get their bear spray to their destination. I got a feeling I'm not the only person putting it in my checked baggage.

Logically, float plane pilots and helicopter pilots have asked that we put our bear spray inside the floats or external baskets on a chopper.

dekartes

Mainly its only bear spray and fuel. Certain batteries cant go in checked luggage (although i have never had mine pulled out). Without lookinv out the TSA site, i believe jet lighters are a no no too (although i bring these all time too). Shipping bear spray or isobutane isnt practical for a do it yourself trip. It has to go by boat. Maybe there is a service now, but when i checked Matson about 10 years ago a pallet at 1,000 lbs was the miniamal load. Most small towns sell both bear spray and isobutane. Dillingham does. Its smart to buy ahead and have your pilot pick it up, or just reserve it. If you are going in and out with the same bush pilot they always have spare cans to loan; or at least thats my experience. Fuel worries me more than bear spray. I like to use isobutane, but also have a stove that burns anything just in case.

Shad

Was just up there (King Salmon area). My Leatherman got confiscated at Seatac on the way out; I had forgotten it was in my fishing pack. I bought a cheapy replacement at the store that connects to the liquor store in King Salmon. I didn't look, but I bet they carry bear spray.

No bear spray on bush planes, either (at least not on the ones I flew on). Not sure how you're supposed to get that stuff out to where you're going under those regulations. I guess you just don't tell anyone you have it. Seems a little silly to me. Has there ever been an incident where someone's bear spray blew up and caused problems on an airliner, let alone a bush plane?

dekartes

What air group was that? I have never had them say no. They do put fuel and spray in the floats (i cant remeber what they do with wheeled planes), but i have never had a bush pilot not allow spray. That is over the top.

Eroksolfe

Just got back from Alaska. We took a Lake Clark Air from anchorage to Iliamna and a float plane with Fish and Float Alaska to the Alagnak River.

The rules we had to follow were no bear mace in either checked or carryon baggage on the commercial jet (Alaska Airlines for me). Bear mace was ok on both the other flights however it MUST be declared and they keep it in the wings or float storage. On Lake Clark they actually had another locked container they made us put them in. Basically if one goes off by accident in the plane, everyone is incapacitated and then dead. So they take it pretty serious.

Latest posts