Float Tube Advice & Suggestions

Jake

veni, vidi, fishi
Im looking for a float tube for a tall guy. I’m 6’7” and 265 lbs.

I’m curious to know if anyone knows what float tubes exist for tall guys. I tried an Outcast Prowler because several places online said it was for bigger guys, but apparently they meant horizontally or something because I kept feeling like I was falling forward no matter how I shifted in the seat. Could have been operator error, though. It was my first time in a float tube.

I’d go in to a fly shop, but without trying one in the water I hesitate to buy one before hearing the experience of others.

It needs to be a float tube for portability (I already have kayaks, a canoe, and a Sound/lake boat so I don’t feel the need for a pontoon boat or raft).

thanks in advance for your advice,

Jake

Last edited:

Kilchis

WFF Supporter
You might consider an Outcast Scout. They call them a frameless pontoon, but they are really just an extended float tube. The seat has a wide range of adjustment. I'm 6', have the seat-back-to-knee distance just right for me and the seat can still be moved a considerable distance further for the longer legged folk. I also have a Fishcat 4 float tube and was amazed to find that the much bigger Scout was easier to maneuver with fins than the smaller tube.

I don't know where you are. I'm in the mid-Willamette valley. If you are nearby I would be pleased to take you for a test drive. (Mine isn't for sale.)

bakerite

I'm 6'2", 200 pounds. I have a Super Fat Cat and it work great for me. I also use a Wilderness lite which feels tight, but is great for hiking at 3 and a half pounds. If you haven't used one before it might take a while to get used to one. You could also try a frameless pontoon like a OSG Stealth Pro, but they are big and heavy. I just got a NRS GigBob and it is a great frameless but is 62 pounds with oars and all. Too heavy for hiking, but propels easily with fins or oars and good in a river, It sets up in less than 10 minutes and packs easily in my Prius. You can also use just the top part of it like a tube, but I will just use the fat cat. If you are in TriCities you could check mine out.

Jake

veni, vidi, fishi
You might consider an Outcast Scout. They call them a frameless pontoon, but they are really just an extended float tube. The seat has a wide range of adjustment. I'm 6', have the seat-back-to-knee distance just right for me and the seat can still be moved a considerable distance further for the longer legged folk. I also have a Fishcat 4 float tube and was amazed to find that the much bigger Scout was easier to maneuver with fins than the smaller tube.

I don't know where you are. I'm in the mid-Willamette valley. If you are nearby I would be pleased to take you for a test drive. (Mine isn't for sale.)

Thank you for the offer. If I didn’t life north of Seattle, or if the school year hadn’t just started, I would love to take you upon that.

That looks like a great boat. 35lbs is doable. How packable/carryable is it?

Jake

veni, vidi, fishi
I'm 6'2", 200 pounds. I have a Super Fat Cat and it work great for me. I also use a Wilderness lite which feels tight, but is great for hiking at 3 and a half pounds. If you haven't used one before it might take a while to get used to one. You could also try a frameless pontoon like a OSG Stealth Pro, but they are big and heavy. I just got a NRS GigBob and it is a great frameless but is 62 pounds with oars and all. Too heavy for hiking, but propels easily with fins or oars and good in a river, It sets up in less than 10 minutes and packs easily in my Prius. You can also use just the top part of it like a tube, but I will just use the fat cat. If you are in TriCities you could check mine out.

Thank you for the offer to come look at yours. I’m just north of Seattle and school just started, otherwise I’d take you up on it.

I’ll look into the OSG Stealth Pro, thanks!

Last edited:

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
I like the spaciousness of the Super Fat Cat-arguably the best float tube available at this time. It has a load capacity of 300# which puts in in your ball park but I don't know of any tubes that will be comfortable at your height. The problem would be the length of the seat which would not match up well with the inseam of a 6'7'' guy. The seats are a little short and you would probably feel like you would be sliding out. I corrected this on mine by building a foam sub-seat with a lip on the front that eliminates the slipping out feeling. I was constantly trying to move back in my seat until I did this. It attaches with commercial type double sticky tape and seems to stay despite getting wet sometimes.

For portability the SFC is hard to beat at just 17#. At 81 I am still hiking into lakes with this boat on my back. With shoulder straps and a waist strap it doesn't shift around as you walk. Fins can easily be strapped to it for the walk in and it also has generously sized pockets. Mine is about 16 years old and no wear issues yet.

Kilchis

WFF Supporter
Thank you for the offer. If I didn’t life north of Seattle, or if the school year hadn’t just started, I would love to take you upon that.

That looks like a great boat. 35lbs is doable. How packable/carryable is it?
At age 35-50 the Scout is relatively carryable, inflated and upside down over your head. At my age, 72, not so much. For any sort of backpacking the Scout is the wrong boat IMHO.

I second the Super Fat Cat opinion above. I'm in the market for a used one myself, to replace my Fishcat.

IveofIone

WFF Supporter
All Super Fat Cats retail for $469 which seems like a bargain when amortized over 15 or so years. But Troutfitter in Mammoth Lakes CA sells these with no tax and no shipping which is quite a saving in itself. In addition they credit you with 10% of the purchase price which you can apply to other merchandise when you order. I would talk to them first before I bought one. Saving tax plus getting $47 worth of goods ( think pump here) would be about an $80 net savings by the time everything gets added up.

Jake

veni, vidi, fishi
I like the spaciousness of the Super Fat Cat-arguably the best float tube available at this time. It has a load capacity of 300# which puts in in your ball park but I don't know of any tubes that will be comfortable at your height. The problem would be the length of the seat which would not match up well with the inseam of a 6'7'' guy. The seats are a little short and you would probably feel like you would be sliding out. I corrected this on mine by building a foam sub-seat with a lip on the front that eliminates the slipping out feeling. I was constantly trying to move back in my seat until I did this. It attaches with commercial type double sticky tape and seems to stay despite getting wet sometimes.

For portability the SFC is hard to beat at just 17#. At 81 I am still hiking into lakes with this boat on my back. With shoulder straps and a waist strap it doesn't shift around as you walk. Fins can easily be strapped to it for the walk in and it also has generously sized pockets. Mine is about 16 years old and no wear issues yet.

thank you!

Jake

veni, vidi, fishi
All Super Fat Cats retail for $469 which seems like a bargain when amortized over 15 or so years. But Troutfitter in Mammoth Lakes CA sells these with no tax and no shipping which is quite a saving in itself. In addition they credit you with 10% of the purchase price which you can apply to other merchandise when you order. I would talk to them first before I bought one. Saving tax plus getting $47 worth of goods ( think pump here) would be about an $80 net savings by the time everything gets added up.

Great advice, thanks! I’ll check out that tube and that company.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
I also recommend at least trying a SFC. I started using mine at 6'2" & 250# and it worked well. I also still use an obsolete Wood River V-Boat (outfitted with a new Wilderness Lite replacement bladder. The SFC is some 8# heavier but is a more comfortable tube, although it catches more wind than the V Boat. I am now at 210# and a mite shorter (old age, lol), but still have long legs (36" inseam). As Ive stated, with straps it is eminently comfortable to pack. I found that adjusting the air pressure in the seat & angling the backrest properly mitigates any tendency to "slide forward" somewhat. Good luck in your quest.

Slipstream

I've owned my SuperCat since 2003 and have had no major issues. Website is supercat.us Call 1.800.523.8853
for information. I only purchased the the bare pontoon boat, I just kick around with fins. I'd rather fish than row. Tom

Jake

veni, vidi, fishi
I also recommend at least trying a SFC. I started using mine at 6'2" & 250# and it worked well. I also still use an obsolete Wood River V-Boat (outfitted with a new Wilderness Lite replacement bladder. The SFC is some 8# heavier but is a more comfortable tube, although it catches more wind than the V Boat. I am now at 210# and a mite shorter (old age, lol), but still have long legs (36" inseam). As Ive stated, with straps it is eminently comfortable to pack. I found that adjusting the air pressure in the seat & angling the backrest properly mitigates any tendency to "slide forward" somewhat. Good luck in your quest.

Thank you for your advice! My local fly shops carry those, so I’ll check them out.

still releasing

While not a float tube, I use a outcast commander for lakes and rivers. I think that the boat would accommodate your size better than most. I am 6'3 and there is ample room left to extend on the foot bars. Might be a bit hefty for packing in - 35lbs.

Jake

veni, vidi, fishi
While not a float tube, I use a outcast commander for lakes and rivers. I think that the boat would accommodate your size better than most. I am 6'3 and there is ample room left to extend on the foot bars. Might be a bit hefty for packing in - 35lbs.

Thanks, I’ll look into that one as well. I’m good for several miles with 35lbs, but ideally I’ll find something lighter.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts