Kelly Galloup Streamer Selection

Eroksolfe

Hi All, so I started fishing streamers more heavily about 3 yrs ago when I started to target Northern Pike and Muskie. I quickly realized the potential for trout (as most people do) and have landed some of my biggest trout on streamers since. As I tied more and more I noticed that though I’m capable of copying any pattern I find online, I didn’t know much about how/why they were all different. I felt like I was just tying some sort of slumpbuster variation every time.

As I researched, I came across the work by Kelly Galloup who helped me learn more about types of streamers, how to tie them efficiently and how their designed to be fish. I decided that I wanted to tie my way through Kelly Galloups “recommended” patterns as a way to learn about streamer construction, tying and fishing.

The ask:

Does anyone have or know of a resource with Kelly Galloup’s streamer selection? Ideally videos if they are available. I’d like to start with more traditional single hook streamers, then move into the bigger articulated stuff. (His articulates flies seem to be variations on his single hook stuff anyways.)

Note: I recognize that there might be more modern / better fly tiers around and I’m not claiming that Mr. Galloup is the be all end all for streamers, but in a world with 1,000,000 options, I had to start somewhere.

Thanks, Erik

Thirdcoast

Just a thought, but maybe try contacting him directly at the Slide Inn on the Upper Madison. I’d imagine he would know better than anyone as to what resources are out there on his stuff. Kelly’s a great guy whom I’ve always found to be more than willing to share info on tying his patterns, as well as talk streamer fishing generally.

Driftless Dan

Well, there is his book, "Modern Streamers for Trophy Trout: New Techniques, Tactics, and Patterns," available on Amazon and probably many other places. One would think some of his favorites are there. It's a little older, though. He posts tying videos on his Slide-Inn web page, too.

tkww

Some of Kelly's streamers are on his youtube channel; if you go to the playlist section, he has one entitled streamers. Not sure it's a complete list of all his streamer videos, as some people don't do a good of maintaining playlists.

Flyfishing the Ozarks has a whole bunch of streamer videos. They also have playlists sorted by fly originator. Their Gallop playlist lists 15 vids.

A little off-topic from your specific inquiry, but if you're into streamers (particularly warm-water), make sure you're familiar with Gunner Brammer's youtube channel. He has a website too.

Both Gunner's and Gallop's videos can be long, wordy, and intense, but there is a ton of information packed into each one.

Last edited:

Eroksolfe

Well, there is his book, "Modern Streamers for Trophy Trout: New Techniques, Tactics, and Patterns," available on Amazon and probably many other places. One would think some of his favorites are there. It's a little older, though. He posts tying videos on his Slide-Inn web page, too.
Hi Dan, that’s the book (well video) that started me thinking this way. Haven’t purchased it yet as I learn better thru video and thought I’d check what knowledge the forum had before I did.

Ps - did you grow up fishing the Driftless in Wisconsin? I was born in Madison and started my fishing career there.

Dustin Bise

Hot-spotting Sheriff.
kelly has one of the best fly tying youtube channels that exists, and he has tied most of his streams with IN DEPTH details and explanations.

the big gulp minnow is one of my favorites of his.

Eroksolfe

gunner is awesome i love his series about the "infinate fly principle" and i have caught a lot of fish thanks to the knowledge he drops.
Great recommendation TKWW and Dustin. Watched the infinite fly last night and it’s more information then I could process in one viewing. I’ll need to spend a few days working through it to have it sink in.

P-FITZ98

I personally find a lot of ideas and inspiration scrolling through the SlideInn website. Kelly’s patterns have a lot of ingenuity in them, and they produce. I believe Brammer got his knowledge from Galloup. Great tiers

Latest posts