Trip Report Wenaha Tucannon Wilderness - Picture Heavy

SawyerJones

a previous post of yours. its ironic and a good laugh in this thread.....
How does this have any context? I don't believe in hotspotting. I called you out for talking shit to successful anglers and being a pompous asshole about it, nothing about hot spotting.

Sad to see how you spend your time.

Cheers

Dustin Bise

Hot-spotting Sheriff.
How does this have any context? I don't believe in hotspotting. I called you out for talking shit to successful anglers and being a pompous asshole about it, nothing about hot spotting.

Sad to see how you spend your time.

Cheers
you get it all out? do you feel better now? sorry your having a bad day, maybe you should go down to this river and get that lifetime goal now that you know where to go.

Last edited:

Dustin Bise

Hot-spotting Sheriff.
@Dustin Bise when you approach like this i believe the message is lost and invokes hostility.

That area is a pretty good chunk of some pretty wild lands. I personally think the OP's trip report was ok and I enjoyed it.
this is me. take it or leave it. im passionate and don't give two flying goats what people on the internet perceive me as. im aware that people dont like my approach. i dont like their approach either, so its a mutual disgust. i changed my under name title so it doesnt take people off guard next time.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
WAFWA lists this river and two other by name as Bull trout streams capable of handling catch and release angling pressure according to ORFW on the same internet that we're all using. I didn't know bull trout were a thing let alone in trouble until i read about them in the WDFW regs when I moved out here. Also this river is designated as wild and scenic so its on that list. Maybe people should take it up with ORFW of WAFWA They've been blasting these drainages all over the internet. Hell. The WDFW instagram account made a multi-photo post TODAY about a certain river I posted about the other day unknowingly and was pretty much crucified for by a few members. They have over 13,000 followers they reached with that post. The internet is a double edged sword when it comes to conservation. We have to let the world know these places are in danger but in doing so we invite human pressure to see these wild places before they're gone. I love and hate the internet at the same time.
You weren’t crucified....you are still alive and posting.
There has been a lot worse if you’ve been around here long enough.
Quit playing the victim and take it as lesson learned and move on.
SF

Shad

Nice report. Looks to me like you worked your ass off to earn a chance at catching, gently handling, and releasing some lovely, wild trout and char in a beautiful, remote location (that I can assure the hotspotting police is in very nearly zero danger at the hands of 99% of the members here, myself included, due to the remoteness). Keep doing what you do.

I am starting to wonder why some of us even use this forum. I get that it's a great resource for people learning the sport, but having learned enough about HOW to fish, I personally come here to share in the experiences of others. Without the occasional thread like this, I would lose interest and stop visiting fishing sites, because they would bore the shit out of me.

I get that hotspotting is something to be avoided, but I don't think this particular thread qualifies.

Last edited:

bakerite

Great report and beautiful pictures. This is one my son and I are meaning to do sometime. I fish some of the road accessible rivers in NEO and have caught some really nice bulls while fishing steelhead or rainbows including one on a big orange bug during a June stonefly hatch. They are in all those Snake river tributaries in pretty good numbers.

The remote nature and effort to access these streams is what protects them. They're multiple hours away from any decent sized metropolitan area and require multiple hours of hiking in some pretty vertical country. The vast majority of fisherman aren't in good enough shape or have enough drive to access them.

To the point of I don't know why they're in the Minam. They're there in good numbers year round. For over 20 years I've averaged a 60/40 split of Bull trout vs. everything else on that river July-September (you can't access any other times). To add to that, my favorite stretch to fish is starts at Minam Falls and extends up stream roughly 1/2 mile. If you've got the ability to get there you'll have earned the fishing. I doubt there's more than 3-4 people on this cite that is capable or has the determination to get there.

Buzzy

If you've got the ability to get there you'll have earned the fishing. I doubt there's more than 3-4 people on this cite that is capable or has the determination to get there.
@NukeLDO - Great report and photographs, thank you for your efforts and filing the results. @theleo91386 - you make a really good point about capability or determination; at 32 years of age, you young whippersnapper, your comments hit home (pretty hard)! ;-)

Penobscot

Great report.
I fished that area last year for the first time.
Let’s just say that the drive into the popular town was a challenge in it’s own right.

Shapp

As a biologist who has actually done research on bull trout in the Wenaha, I would not recommend targeting adults up high in the system in September simply to avoid harassing them during the spawning period (Sept-Oct). However during summer up to mid-August no problem targeting with good catch and release technique. They are pretty numerous. The weneha is far and hard to get to, loads of people have heard about it, but I don't see it getting crowded anytime soon due to the work it takes to get in there to the good stuff. Another fun tidbit, there are now wolves and moose in the Wenaha watershed as well, recent colonizations since the late 1990s.

mcswny

As a biologist who has actually done research on bull trout in the Wenaha, I would not recommend targeting adults up high in the system in September simply to avoid harassing them during the spawning period (Sept-Oct). However during summer up to mid-August no problem targeting with good catch and release technique. They are pretty numerous. The weneha is far and hard to get to, loads of people have heard about it, but I don't see it getting crowded anytime soon due to the work it takes to get in there to the good stuff. Another fun tidbit, there are now wolves and moose in the Wenaha watershed as well, recent colonizations since the late 1990s.

What do you consider high up in the watershed? Last I heard, it was against the regs to fish for them above the fork of the North and South fork anyways. Not that I plan to, mostly out of curiousity.

Shapp

What do you consider high up in the watershed? Last I heard, it was against the regs to fish for them above the fork of the North and South fork anyways. Not that I plan to, mostly out of curiousity.
I would recommend avoid targeting potential adult bull trout spawners entirely in the Wenaha in Sept-Oct. The large majority of potential adult spawners will be upstream of Crooked Creek during that time period.

Last edited:

Latest posts