Who wants to try tuna?

SilverFly

Here's another thought that just hit me. I've been extraordinarily fortunate this year. I've caught a 700# mako shark (with help from friends) in San Diego on the way to Baja. Had an amazing week there catching and seeing lots of cool fish. And topped off the trip with a pair of grande roosters including one that bottomed the guide's scale at 55+ pounds. On a 10wt no less. Easily fish of a lifetime.

I'm not saying that to brag (OK, maybe just a little) but to point out I should be "good" for the year. And yet, here I am foaming at the mouth to get on a boat less than a 2hr drive from my front door. Every bit as excited as I was on my way to Baja. No passport, no plane tickets, no TSA bullshit, just throw my stuff in the truck and drive to the coast. THAT level of stoke, and it's right here in the PNW!

Why is it I'm tying flies right now?

Last edited:

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
I'm not saying that to brag (OK, maybe just a little)
"When you've done it, it ain't braggin." Goes right along with "No brag, just fact." You have had a dandy year! If I weren't so dead-set against driving through heavy traffic now, I'd love to head-out to the coast. It would be well-worth the expense of a new 12 weight outfit & the "chumming" I'd undoubtedly do on the big water (no blue water sailor here, lol. Never have been, never will be I reckon. :().

Matt B

Guy, your enthusiasm is contagious, online and in person. I hope some folks from here can jump on the fishery this year. I would go again if I could. As the guy at the bait dock said, it’s as “good as it gets” this year, and I can attest to SilverFly being a good fishing partner. Do it, do it, do it!

SilverFly

Guy, your enthusiasm is contagious, online and in person. I hope some folks from here can jump on the fishery this year. I would go again if I could. As the guy at the bait dock said, it’s as “good as it gets” this year, and I can attest to SilverFly being a good fishing partner. Do it, do it, do it!
Thanks Matt. back atcha. :) Unfortunately there's a fine line between enthusiam and needing an intervention. Or being a whiny little bitch in my case. :rolleyes:

But hey, I just tied a juicy mack!

20190910_155017.jpg

Last edited:

mudshark

Deep dweller
Well like I said in my hissy-fit post earlier, the more fly fishermen we have interested in this fishery, the more opportunities there will be to fly fish for tuna. What I would love to see is a "critical mass" of fly guys (and gals) that are ready to do this. Not only will it be SO much easier to setup charters, maybe more charters will change their mind about fly crews. Or mixed fly/gear crews.

The way I look at it this is a chance to develop an incredible, WORLD-CLASS FLY fishery, with virtually zero conservation concerns. But we need more than a handful of fly guys out there to change minds and show that fly gear is not only effective, it can play well with conventional gear.
I’m game let’s do this

SilverFly

I’m game let’s do this
What? like we might have a 4th crew member!

Alrighty then. Currently we're looking at next Monday or Tuesday (if you're available) but the long range looks kinda shitty right now. If those days don't work, then the following Monday/Tues. Unfortunately the charter is down to one captain and his availability is Sun-Tues. And all the Sundays are booked through Oct 6th. Also like I stated a few posts back mid-October could be nuts if the weather cooperates (BIG if, I know).

Whether you can make it or not, THANK YOU!

Last edited:

SilverFly

Thought I'd also point out that this wouldn't be the first bluefin to grace the decks of Meanwhile charters. Here's a jig caught BFT from 2018.

10994.jpeg

SilverFly

So the bite "slowed" for the gear crew that bumped us today. Word is they got somewhere between 30 and 40 tuna (7-10 per fisherman). No size info yet.

Last edited:

SilverFly

I mean, obviously you are using fly rod, but does it work for multiple clients to fly fish, or have a mix of fly and gear people?
I can't speak for Nick, but he is a busy guy so I'll butt in here in the interest of a quick, partial, and probably incorrect answer.

Nick and I have had many discussions on the topic, and I KNOW he would love to run fly trips for tuna, and anything that swims. Hell, I would love it if he ran fly trips! The main difference from Meanwhile charters (besides being in Westport vs Garibaldi) is the charter he works for runs "6-pack" boats vs a 4-pack. Which should be like 33% easier to get a full crew for Meanwhile - at least in theory.

Again, I can't speak for Nick, but as I understand things it would come down to an open charter date (last I heard there weren't any) and his availability to book a fly trip. Besides that is the challenge of getting 6 fly fishers, or a combination of 6 that want to fly fish and gear that are OK with both types on the same boat.... welcome to my world.

Last edited:

Latest posts