Who wants to try tuna?

Mems

Tuna are good fun on a fly rod. Guy is obsessed with them. If you get the chance you should go. The fly rod is not the best tool for fighting a big one, but the fly line will tire them out. Be careful landing the tuna. Lots of rods get blown up by high sticking. Hand line the fish when it starts to circle. Be ready to run to the rail if it takes off. The initial run is awesome, and I like it best when they hit top water, so we use poppers.
Please go with Guy and let him get his fix. He has been dreaming, nightmares about big tuna ever since he left baja. You can wear what ever you like, saltwater fish don't care what you look like, you will probably get bloody. Have fun, but be careful what you wish for. Big tuna can mess you up and break your hearts. Mems.

NRC

Still potential this coming Monday? Might be able to do that day. Or has weather or lack of charter rules that out?

#guy’swishingforflyfishing
#bloodsoakedchinos

SilverFly

Yeah, Outside of them outnumbering is, I think the other thing to consider is it is probably more comfortable for a gear guy to go from their normal everyday fishing to albacore fishing. I don’t know the actual numbers but I imagine a big majority of fly guys are really only comfortable fly fishing for smaller fish with lighter rods - like 6 weights and under. There might me an intimidation factor in going out with a 12 weight (which they probably do not own), casting it, etc.

That being said, I am no big game fisherman myself. The biggest fly rod I currently own is an 8 weight. I still really want to do this though!!

If you get a list started for next year, include me. Even if it does not happen it gives me a legitimate reason to start shopping for a new 12 weight :)!
Well, whatever the reasons I really appreciate honest feedback as to why this fishery is nothing more than a fly fishing novelty for an extreme minority.

Good point on the intimidation factor. My work buddy I'm (hopefully) fishing with on the 21st, was on the epic trip we had in 2015. He's very much a fly fisherman but prefers trout and does some steelhead. I tried to get him to give my 12wt a shot, but it didn't "feel like fly fishing" to him. Besides, he was having so much fun casting swimbaits on a spin rod, he was giddy like a school girl. Also one of reasons we were filleting til 1AM..... and his nickname "Swimbait Joe".

His dislike of heavy fly gear aside, it feels perfectly normal to me. So that aspect might be more a matter of getting accustomed to casting stuff 11wt and up. A balanced 12wt loads/unloads like any other fly rod, just more effort involved. But not bad once you have the rhythm down and get into efficient energy transfer. I didn't seriously work out before Baja and most days was throwing dozens of 60 to 90' casts on a 13wt with a 700gr line.

Effort shouldn't be a major issue with albacore though, since the casting is much more limited. Especially if we're fishing on the drift. Cast once, let the line sink to depth, retrieve halfway in, stack mend the retrieved line, rinse and repeat. The fly is in the zone almost continuously and you're saving arm energy for the ensuing fight. I'm no expert at casting heavy outfits, but maybe someone that is a good instructor (I'm not), and familiar with offshore fly rods could put some clinics together to help interested guys (and gals) get a feel for this. I assure you, it IS fly fishing.

And as far as getting a list together for next year, HELL YES. Let's do exactly that. There's nothing I would love more than other people contacting me for a change saying "Hey Guy, we're looking at next Saturday out of Westport, you in?" Or even hearing a fly crew got out and I didn't even know about it. THAT's the level of involvement I'm hoping for. Not sure the best way to get such a list started but maybe a sticky thread on the Salt forum, PM lists, whatever. I'm open to suggestions.

SilverFly

What does one wear to catch tuna on a fly?
Good question Swimmy, glad you asked. The trend setting designer for the last several decades is "Grundens". Haven't seen their 2020 line yet but they typically go with summers such as hot orange and safety yellow, but also offer more muted tones like forest green for those not looking to make a bold statement.

But seriously, Swimmy, I think you should give this a shot. You don't seem to hold back on anything so come out here and crush this.

NRC

What? like we might have a 4th crew member!

Alrighty then. Currently we're looking at next Monday or Tuesday (if you're available) but the long range looks kinda shitty right now. If those days don't work, then the following Monday/Tues. Unfortunately the charter is down to one captain and his availability is Sun-Tues. And all the Sundays are booked through Oct 6th. Also like I stated a few posts back mid-October could be nuts if the weather cooperates (BIG if, I know).

Whether you can make it or not, THANK YOU!
I just became a stronger maybe for this Monday. But from the quoted post it looks like you might already have a full crew?

SilverFly

I just became a stronger maybe for this Monday. But from the quoted post it looks like you might already have a full crew?
I'm not even sure who's on first at this point. But we have 2 plus myself that are ready to go either Mon or Tues. Also the last time I talked to Capt Randy he wasn't optimistic about the forecast for either day.

But, as we know long range forecasts generally suck, so I think you are next in line for the spot. If I overlooked someone else who committed earlier then please speak up. Dont think so since that would have gotten my attention.

Reactions: NRC

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
I really want to do this, got a 10 wt which is probably a little light for it. I've got some warm water lines for it and a couple of reels that will work, I hope!!

SilverFly

I really want to do this, got a 10 wt which is probably a little light for it. I've got some warm water lines for it and a couple of reels that will work, I hope!!
Like I've said, no worries about not having the right fly gear. The boat has at least one 12wt outfit, and if you're fishing with me I'll have a 14, 13, and two 12's. I'd bring the 10 anyway, just because you never know what we'll get into out there.

One day we never found the tuna (it was a shitty year) but hit a patch of busting mackerel that blocked out the sonar at 40'. We caught something like 150 in the space of an hour. The charter kept a bunch for halibut bait and me and a couple of WFF'ers caught them C&R til it got old. A 12wt was overkill to be sure but they still were fun. I was glad I brought the 10, still a bit much, but like all pelagics, they fought well above their weight class. Most were 2-3# but we got a few around 5#. The fives fought like a 6-7# coho.

A 10wt would also come in handy if we got into some "peanut" albies like were common last year. Fish in the 6-12# range would be perfect for a 10wt.

Then under the unlikely-but-could-happen dept: We could come across a kelp patty or big log loaded with 10wt sized yellowtail or dorado. When stuff like that happens you want to be ready.

I'm even considering my 6 piece 8wt with a heavy sinking line for macks, or if we get into the pomfret again. I think of them as weird looking pelagic 2-5# bluegills that are VERY good eating and feisty little buggers.

Last edited:

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
Like I've said, no worries about not having the right fly gear. The boat has at least one 12wt outfit, and if you're fishing with me I'll have a 14, 13, and two 12's. I'd bring the 10 anyway, just because you never know what we'll get into out there.

One day we never found the tuna (it was a shitty year) but hit a patch of busting mackerel that blocked out the sonar at 40'. We caught something like 150 in the space of an hour. The charter kept a bunch for halibut bait and me and a couple of WFF'ers caught them C&R til it got old. A 12wt was overkill to be sure but they still were fun. I was glad I brought the 10, still a bit much, but like all pelagics, they fought well above their weight class. Most were 2-3# but we got a few around 5#. The fives fought like a 6-7# coho.

A 10wt would also come in handy if we got into some "peanut" albies like were common last year. Fish in the 6-12# range would be perfect for a 10wt.

Then under the unlikely-but-could-happen dept: We could come across a kelp patty or big log loaded with 10wt sized yellowtail or dorado. When stuff like that happens you want to be ready.

I'm even considering my 6 piece 8wt with a heavy sinking line for macks, or if we get into the pomfret again. I think of them as weird looking pelagic 2-5# bluegills that are VERY good eating and feisty little buggers.
It's not a matter of gear for me, just can't justify spending the money right now. Saving for a trip to Mexico next year and don't want to give up the cigars I smoke these days and the good whiskey.. next year for me!! Unless I get a good bonus.. well see!

SilverFly

It's not a matter of gear for me, just can't justify spending the money right now. Saving for a trip to Mexico next year and don't want to give up the cigars I smoke these days and the good whiskey.. next year for me!! Unless I get a good bonus.. well see!
At this point Bill, any expressed interest makes me happy. Totally with ya on the good whiskey part too.

SilverFly

So enough with the sales pitches and my whining for now. Time to get back to making this happen.

First order of business. @NRC, unless I'm missing somebody, the 4th spot would be yours IF we get Monday booked. Unfortunately Monday's looking like a no-go per the forecast on Magic Seaweed as of 3AM Thursday morning.

I'm currently stuck at work, but it's been a better night than I was lead to believe yesterday AM when I asked about getting the next two nights off. Because of that, I actually turned down an open seat today (9/12) due to some scheduled work being done. Big surprise, it was pretty much wrapped up when I got in. :mad: (sorry, more whining slipped out)

Anyway, I've had some idle time to watch the forecasts, and right now this Monday (9/16) looks on the nasty side. Wind isn't too horrible but an 8' swell at 13 seconds doesn't sound fun. Tuesday however, looks pretty nice. At least from what I'm seeing on MS. 4' swell at 11 seconds, and Beaufort scale 2-3 winds all day.

Based on Tues, I'll text Capt Randy after I get off work in the morning to see what he thinks, but it would be great to say "YES, we have a full crew of 4 ready to go". And maybe we do. I've had quite a few PM's expressing interest (thank you all!) but I'm not recalling any firm "I'll see you at the dock".

I'll go through this thread again, and the Albacore 2019 thread on the salt forum, to make sure I'm not missing anyone. That said, PLEASE speak up if I missed somebody that said yes, or is seriously considering. I emphasize serious because the charter policy requires a 50% deposit which Randy has, so far, waived for any fly crews I've arranged (and to re-iterate, I am one of those paying clients - so guess who will have to pony up). I'm also not ruling out Monday just yet being 5 days out.

So nothing is firm at this point, other than (I think) we still have those two open days on the charter calendar next week. That could change very quickly as our gear brethren pay very close attention to weather apps. Think we'll have to jump on this quick. Uuuugh.

And as I've told others, my secretarial skills leave a lot to be desired, so patience is appreciated.

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
Works for me. Swimmy?
I'd like to see Grundens come out with a more tailored cut. Right now they look like garbage bags.

But seriously, Swimmy, I think you should give this a shot. You don't seem to hold back on anything so come out here and crush this.
Sounds awesome. Are there mountains and fresh water streams on these charter trips?

Latest posts