Who wants to try tuna?

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
Bet Nick is sporting Tommy Bahama chinos under those Grundens.

SilverFly

Here we go again. Tues the 17th looks decent, on the long range. Unless things have changed we still have the 3 of us that got bumped this last Tues. I'm waiting to hear from a couple of interested in the 4th spot but nothing confirmed yet. So the spot is still open until somebody says yes for sure.

Update; The charter is not available on Tuesday but is on Monday. Given the shitty forecast Monday it's probably not gonna happen this week. But if the forecast improves, and @NRC or someone else can make it, there's still a chance. I'm thinking next week is more likely though. Hope springs eternal.... right?

Last edited:
Reactions: NRC

jasmillo

I'd like to see Grundens come out with a more tailored cut. Right now they look like garbage bags
You’re thinking about this all wrong. The 90’s were 20+ years ago at this point. As any fashionista like yourself should know, fashion trends repeat every 20 to 30 years.

Be ahead of the curve my friend. Grundens are fashion forward. I expect this look back on the runways again starting next year.

A8C6B2AA-F680-454D-B840-DCDC161DC082.jpeg

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
At this point Bill, any expressed interest makes me happy. Totally with ya on the good whiskey part too.
The added benefit, would be that I get to fish with you! I think I still have one of the flies you gave me years ago. Up on the Stilly I think.. anyway, when I can swing it, I'll let you know.. maybe I should check my lotto tickets... then I can join you tomorrow or whenever the next available trip is!!

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
I'd like to see Grundens come out with a more tailored cut. Right now they look like garbage bags.

Sounds awesome. Are there mountains and fresh water streams on these charter trips?
Swimmy: FlyBill, do these Grunden's make my butt look FAT?
FlyBill: No Swimmy, your ass makes your butt look FAT!!

And yes, of course there are mountains and streams on this trip... just bring your 2wts and Tenkara rods! They'll work fine! Don't forget the water skis too... :cool: :)

c-dawg

...the famous "yellow boat" a.k.a the "Opportunaty" ...
I fished next to that boat on Sunday. They got a little close on our last bait stop, but no biggie.

Tuna are no joke. The only time in my life I became too exhausted to continue fishing.

c-dawg

I happen to know a guy who will be running a tuna charter boat full time next year who is quite open to fly fishing ;)

FYI I had guys onboard today who brought a fly rod. They didn't fish it much as they were too busy piling fish onboard with live bait, 52 of them but who's counting.. But they did hook and land 3 on the fly. Could have done much more if they put more time into it
Are you going to run your own boat, Nick, or one of Coleman's?

SilverFly

Classic PNW marine forecast! Monday the 16th is looking better today, than Tuesday did last night. Go figure. Waiting on confirmation for the 4th seat. If yes before a full gear crew books, and the forecast holds, the boat is ours.

UPDATE: Crew sitch is firming up. Looks like it's all forecast now....

Last edited:

SilverFly

So in the saltwater equivalent of trying to hit an OP river when it's falling after a storm, at that perfect shade of just-right-grayish-green, and on a day you can arrange off, the forecast is shitting on us again. I haven't gotten the official word about Monday but fully expecting a no-go call later this morning. The Saturday crew is already cancelled, probably Sundays, and Tuesday almost looks like Deadliest Catch weather.

This is the price of offshore fishing.

I make the falling river analogy because, of all people, I would expect steelheaders to get the "pay-your-dues" persistence and determination it takes to be there, when everything comes together. Just for a handful of hours that you will remember for the rest of your life. I've caught hundreds of steelhead in mine, more on gear than fly, but plenty on both. I understand what it means to freeze your nuts off all day, day after day, for that one grab, and flash of chrome in a deep green run. Trust me, I get it.

And yet, offshore fishing is every bit as "magical" and addicting. Much more so to be perfectly frank. As much as I love walking into my favorite run on a gray morning, with mist still hanging over the water, that feeling falls far short of what I have when watching the the sun rise over the coast range... as the mountains sink out of sight to the east.

What I have been trying to get across in this thread (with some success I think) is that what we have off our coast every summer, is anything but a "gotta do this once", fly fishing novelty, or "bro-thing" that needs to be scratched off some stoke list.

It's not ... unless that's all you let yourself see, and experience.

Virtually every aspect of fly fishing in freshwater for trout, steelhead, you name it, is duplicated offshore. Match-the-hatch, casting skill, presentation, line control, even reading water - albeit on a much larger scale. Add in the incredible wildlife experiences, and the removal of expectations as to what's possible, and what's not, and any trace of "novelty" or "bro-ness" is completely obliterated. This is fly fishing, pure and simple. The gear may be heavier, the flies may be larger than the last trout you caught, but you're still throwing loops ... into what feels like another world and time.

This also goes for the sense of connection with the natural environment that is behind so much of the allure of fly fishing. There is no shortage of content here about enjoying solitude in serene natural settings. And yet, the most incredible sense of solitude, and connection with nature, or "universe" really, that I have had in my entire life, wasn't far up some remote canyon after hacking through devils club and vine maple. It was on a 50' commercial fishing vessel during an overnight tuna trip 40 miles off the coast of Westport. In spite of the gently rocking conditions, I couldn't sleep and went up on deck about 2AM. No one else was up and no other boats in sight. Just black empty ocean on 360 degrees of horizon. Except that band of blackness was sandwiched by our galaxy above, displayed like something out of an astronomy textbook, and another "galaxy" of bio-luminescence below, in the water surrounding the boat. Hell, the hairs on the back of my neck just tingled a little recalling that moment. I shit you not.

Life is short guys and gals, quit bitching about crowded rivers, no fish, hot-spotting, beads, tweakers, low-holing, and take a fresh serious look at offshore with an open mind. Those problems don't exist out there and the fishing is a thousand times better. If it's just not your thing, that's fine, I just want people to understand what it is they are missing. I'm sure many would get out there and say this was interesting but not my cup of tea. Great, but at least you exposed yourself to something new. However, I am sure there are many who would be more along the lines of "this is incredible, why didn't anyone tell me about this!!!" I am telling you now.

We can't do anything about the weather, but falling short on a crew because we can't find one person on a site with thousands of members seems an unnecessarily wasted opportunity. At the same time I am also encouraged at the number of inquiries I fielded, and appreciative of those that tried to make it work.

On that note, I think we finally solved our 4th crew problem, albeit likely too late for any additional trips this year. I was messaged the other day by a very inspiring individual. Inspiring because he should not be among the living, and yet he is. Possibly out of sheer determination to embrace life. I'm not sure what it is about people that have had life-altering events. The ones that instead of crawling into a hole of depression and bitterness, choose to embrace every day as a gift. And do so in the face of adversity. I am in awe.

In defiance of his condition, this man is willing to get on a plane just to round out a crew and fish with us. From our discussions it is crystal clear that he is anything but crazy, and clearly a man of exceptional intelligence. He also knows what he's getting into being very experienced with offshore fishing - albeit for salmon and halibut.

Here's the incredible part that I am sharing with his permission. He is on permanent disability after being stuck by a car when riding his bike to work several years ago:

In 2013, as I was cycling to work as usual, a car crossed the road in front of me to turn left and hit me head on, a 100kmh (60mph) impact (both my cycling speed and his driving speed were estimated at 30mph). Nobody survives a 60mph impact on a bicycle and I was not expected to, but I did. My main injuries were/are: 13 (thirteen) broken bones, 5 broken vertebrae (t3, t4, t5, t12, l5), 1 inch of spinal compression (all my disks are pinched), permanent brain injury, premanent spinal cord injury, permanent damage to my left lung, both inner ears broken, and many more.

Incredibly, he can walk and function like most people, he is simply living in constant severe pain. In spite of this, he is ready to board a plane to the US, on very short notice to join us on one of these trips. My discussions with him have left me both humbled and greatly inspired. Granted he does have the freedom of being financially secure without being tied to a job, but as he puts it:

To answer your question about the roughness of offshore fishing: every day, I have 2 options: 1- live the day in pain and do nothing. Or 2- live the day in more pain and do something. I choose #1 more often than I would care to admit, but I'm pushing myself toward #2 more and more because, well, it's the painfully right decision.

I will consider an honor to fish with my new Canadian friend. If we have an open spot that needs filled, and he can make it, it belongs to this guy first - period.

I'll say it again because this is far FAR more important than ignoring a world-class fishery on our doorstep.

Life is short.

Don't look back when you're drooling, having your ass-wiped, and think in a fleeting moment of clarity, "Gee I really should have tried that offshore thing". Or any other great life experience that was within easy reach - which this is - in spades.

I hope this discussion continues here so those that might not normally hang in the salt forum will have a chance to learn about PNW fly fishing opportunities that exist offshore. And for those that are interested in digging deeper, the Albacore 2019 thread is still active for now:

There is much more depending on how far down rabbit hole you're willing to go. 65 pages worth here:

Edit: Almost forgot this one from last year:

Last edited:

SilverFly

Looks like we won't be setting up any extra trips, unless we get a great weather window next month. I'd be shocked, but not completely with the general weirdness this year. Fortunately I still have 2 shots. This Saturday the 21st with a work buddy and his boys, which right now is actually looking OK. And Sunday Oct 6th with a WFF crew.

Also wanted to semi-apologize for getting so worked up over this. At least if I came off disrespectful in any way. I stand by everything else I said, even if it was over the top. I have had quite a few inquiries, so next year I'm hopeful we'll be able to get some fly crews together without too much begging. I know part of the problem in my case is Garibaldi being such a long haul from the Seattle area, but at least one repeat client over the last few years feels it's worth it for the smaller boat/crew experience. With @Nick Clayton running tuna next summer out of Westport I'm really hoping that will make it easier for prospective Seattle based crew to get off the fence. Unfortunately rounding up crews for 6-pack boats has proven even more difficult. But maybe it's just me :rolleyes: .

I was also thinking at some point a mass PM might be a good idea to get everyone who have expressed interest connected so we'll have a starting point for next year.

On a side note. My Canadian friend has gotten all his travel arrangements done, and is ready to get on a plane, or be picked up at the ferry in Port Angeles. The ferry was an offer suggested by one of the WFF'ers trying to get out on one of those Monday/Tuesday trips. He said the ferry would be the easiest option. PA is a bit far for me, but flying into Portland would still work. No problem for me since I'm just across the river from PDX.

Anyway, I really hope myself or other WFF members can get him out. If not this year then definitely next. I'm not getting a sense that he would be a burden in any way. Quite the opposite. I get a clear sense that he would be a very interesting and enjoyable person to fish and hang out with. If anyone would like to get him out on the water, for anything, please let me know via PM. I don't think it's too strong of a statement to say that could change his life.

Last edited:

Latest posts