Experience with Fly Guides?!

StreamerEater

Hi all, my name is Pat and I am doing research into improving the fly fishing marketplace. If you could answer the questions below I would greatly appreciate your input! Feel free to message me your responses if you would prefer. There are no right or wrong answers. I'm purely looking to hear your feelings and thoughts about your experience purchasing fly-fishing guide services.

Background Info: Okay, so to start us off, can you tell me a little about yourself....How old are you? What region do you live in? How often do you fish?

Question #1: Tell me about the last time you purchased fly-fishing guide services...

Question #2: What tools or services did you use to evaluate the guide before purchasing their services?

Question #3: Did you experience any problems in the purchase process?

Question #4: What could be done to improve the purchase process?

Thanks for the consideration. I look forward to hearing about your experiences!

Steve Birrer

So let me see. The very first post you make on a forum is to gather insight on how to book a guide. Let me guess this is really market research for you being a guide?

This is almost as bad as a first post asking for spots....lol.

Good luck but I'll pass.

StreamerEater

Hi Steve, thanks for the response. Yes, this is my first post - gotta start somewhere, right?! I am in no way interested in being a guide. I had a bad experience booking a guide and I am genuinely interested in developing a solution...thinking about a marketplace type app (think AirBnB for guides). Just looking for others experiences to validate the idea. Thanks!

Rock Creek Fan

I would suggest using the WFF search function to look up prior information about guides and our experiences with them. There are a number of threads about this some as recently as a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

KerryS

Ignored Member
Hi Steve, thanks for the response. Yes, this is my first post - gotta start somewhere, right?! I am in no way interested in being a guide. I had a bad experience booking a guide and I am genuinely interested in developing a solution...thinking about a marketplace type app (think AirBnB for guides). Just looking for others experiences to validate the idea. Thanks!
Hmmm, research for an application. How many other websites are you doing research on? Not a bad idea, but I hope you aren’t thinking of making money on your app. Fly fishing isn’t a main stream endeavor like travel and the number of guides doesn’t even come close to the number of rental properties on Airbnb.

Guy Gregory

See Gierach, in Sex, Death and Flyfishing: On Guiding and Being Guided.

Rivers, shops, guides, for each species, in each water, or hunting for that matter are all different. There is no "marketplace" wherein some element: price, service delivery, number of fish caught, etc. can be extracted to maximize your experience. What can be controlled are your expectations as a client or a guide, your communication of those expectations, and your attitude. As a consumer, if you show up hoping to have a good day and learn something, you'll have that. If you've got specific needs (I'd like to catch a big fish) say so, the guide will take you different spots. They'd like you to be successful.

If you're an unpleasant, demanding person, if you have low personal accountability, you'll not be good at either guiding or being guided.

In your case, if you're expectations business-wise were not met, i.e., a dropped reservation or something, maybe an app will help, though enough guides have been stood up at the last minute I'd think they'd be reluctant to show up on some "board". But I've been wrong about a lot of business opportunities. If you didn't catch any fish, or ran into an inexperienced, miserable guide, I'm sorry. I only had one unpleasant guide, and he was frustrated as the fish just were not cooperating and he wasn't meeting his expectations for himself. Good thing for me I was okay with practicing my casting, watching the wildlife and enjoying the boat ride.

Buzzy

Pat I need my nap right now so my answer won't fit your criteria but mirrors Rock Creek Fan: there's a ton of information and yes, misinformation, within this website. WFF search function works pretty well.
Pat

ghetme

Between the fff guy in the steelie thread and this market research thread, I am inclined to think there is a new wave of mentality in fishing. Back to my bunk..

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Never used a guide in my life time of fishing, I've been fishing for 60 years. Everything I caught was done by me alone. Can't help you out in the least bit. Good hunting.

Maybe if you got up and went outside and did some exploring you would find the fish on your own. That's more fun that spending $400.00 on picking somebody's brain.

StreamerEater

Hmmm, research for an application. How many other websites are you doing research on? Not a bad idea, but I hope you aren’t thinking of making money on your app. Fly fishing isn’t a main stream endeavor like travel and the number of guides doesn’t even come close to the number of rental properties on Airbnb.
Hey Kerry, thanks for your feedback. I am not interested in making money so much as I am interested in solving the lack of transparency and confidence in the guide service purchasing process. The process seems to be controlled by flyfishing shops who serve as gatekeepers of the industry. I sincerely believe that the network inefficiencies is reducing market demand. So, if there is a way to solve this problem thereby getting more people on the water and appreciating/becoming stewards of the natural world, than that would be a huge success. Definitely will check out other websites, any come to mind?

StreamerEater

Never used a guide in my life time of fishing, I've been fishing for 60 years. Everything I caught was done by me alone. Can't help you out in the least bit. Good hunting.

Maybe if you got up and went outside and did some exploring you would find the fish on your own. That's more fun that spending $400.00 on picking somebody's brain.
Thanks for the input.

Latest posts