Experience with Fly Guides?!

StreamerEater

Between the fff guy in the steelie thread and this market research thread, I am inclined to think there is a new wave of mentality in fishing. Back to my bunk..
Interesting point... I think there is a new wave of PEOPLE trying to get into fishing but they struggle to do so because the process of connecting with guides who provide access to the support is inefficient and confusing at best (in my experience).

StreamerEater

Don’t sweat the negative responses above, those are just haters. I’m here to help.

Who am I? I am Matt Foley.

As for the rest, I’ve never bought a guide or an app. If I did want a guide I’d use that new google machine app I saw on the line.

Best of luck!
Thanks for the support, Matt. Appreciate the good vibes!

StreamerEater

See Gierach, in Sex, Death and Flyfishing: On Guiding and Being Guided.

Rivers, shops, guides, for each species, in each water, or hunting for that matter are all different. There is no "marketplace" wherein some element: price, service delivery, number of fish caught, etc. can be extracted to maximize your experience. What can be controlled are your expectations as a client or a guide, your communication of those expectations, and your attitude. As a consumer, if you show up hoping to have a good day and learn something, you'll have that. If you've got specific needs (I'd like to catch a big fish) say so, the guide will take you different spots. They'd like you to be successful.

If you're an unpleasant, demanding person, if you have low personal accountability, you'll not be good at either guiding or being guided.

In your case, if you're expectations business-wise were not met, i.e., a dropped reservation or something, maybe an app will help, though enough guides have been stood up at the last minute I'd think they'd be reluctant to show up on some "board". But I've been wrong about a lot of business opportunities. If you didn't catch any fish, or ran into an inexperienced, miserable guide, I'm sorry. I only had one unpleasant guide, and he was frustrated as the fish just were not cooperating and he wasn't meeting his expectations for himself. Good thing for me I was okay with practicing my casting, watching the wildlife and enjoying the boat ride.
Yes!! Exactly!!! The "marketplace" issue I'm looking into is all about communication and expectations...You nailed it!! In my experience, the purchasing process lacks transparency and confidence in what you are going to get. That's what I think an app could solve.....Imagine an alternative to googling and calling a bunch of different places and feeling unsure of what the experience will deliver.

Bentley

Something strange StreamerEater. As pointed out above, this is your first post, that’s number one. From the personal background questions and the then the guide specific questions, your interest is clearly more than marketing research, that’s number 2. Number 3, asking question is fine, but I am not sold enough to participate.

StreamerEater

Pat I need my nap right now so my answer won't fit your criteria but mirrors Rock Creek Fan: there's a ton of information and yes, misinformation, within this website. WFF search function works pretty well.
Pat
Hey Buzzy, thanks for chiming in. Please check back in after your nap to elaborate. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Yard Sale

Huge Member
The last thing I want from a guide is knowledge of the purchasing process. Nor do I want him to be involved in some sort of app to get clients.

I want him to have chew spit stained waders that wreak of old farts and a bit of stubbornness about doing things right.

Yer barking up the wrong tree Streamereater. Try golf lessons...

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Hi all, my name is Pat and I am doing research into improving the fly fishing marketplace. If you could answer the questions below I would greatly appreciate your input! Feel free to message me your responses if you would prefer. There are no right or wrong answers. I'm purely looking to hear your feelings and thoughts about your experience purchasing fly-fishing guide services.

Background Info: Okay, so to start us off, can you tell me a little about yourself....How old are you? What region do you live in? How often do you fish?

Question #1: Tell me about the last time you purchased fly-fishing guide services...

Question #2: What tools or services did you use to evaluate the guide before purchasing their services?

Question #3: Did you experience any problems in the purchase process?

Question #4: What could be done to improve the purchase process?

Thanks for the consideration. I look forward to hearing about your experiences!
I just reread the first post by this yahoo. Why do you need to know a little about each of us. How old we are doesn't seem to factor in on this. And to what area we fish in. I used to fish all the time. But as I grew older I slowed down.. What area do you fish in?? And how old are you. You would of been better off to tell us about yourself instead of asking these kind of Questions. How long have you been fly fishing.
+

Dustin Bise

Hot-spotting Sheriff.
Hi Steve, thanks for the response. Yes, this is my first post - gotta start somewhere, right?! I am in no way interested in being a guide. I had a bad experience booking a guide and I am genuinely interested in developing a solution...thinking about a marketplace type app (think AirBnB for guides). Just looking for others experiences to validate the idea. Thanks!
just what we need, an app to make any joe blow into a fishery pimping guide! the biggest problem i see with this is how to screen reputable guides. the good ones already have client streams and work with reputable shops or organizations to get clients. these guides probably dont need your service, unless it were offering them some major advantage.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Oh what the hell, I’m going to try to answer this dude’s questionnaire.

How old are you? I’m not.

What region do you live in? I live in ‘merica.

How often do you fish? I fish for compliments when i’ve Had one too many Irish Deaths. Otherwise i fish once a year. Usually in September.

Question #1: Tell me about the last time you purchased fly-fishing guide services...
The last time I hired a guide was to the summer of 2001. His name was Scooter and we fished the Methow. We waded in and only went for about 4 or 5 hours. I liked hiring a guide to wade with me more than fishing from a boat. He brought sandwiches. I told him i wanted him to fish with me but i found out later he was fishing with flies that he had cut the hook off of.

Question #2: What tools or services did you use to evaluate the guide before purchasing their services? I believe i checked the website of the fly shop. Then I used the telephone and talked to him. I liked how he sounded on the phone. I also liked his name.

Question #3: Did you experience any problems in the purchase process? You mean purchasing his guiding expertise? Not sure what you mean. I paid him in cash and tipped him $50. Then i worried that i didn’t tip enough. So that was my only problem.

Question #4: What could be done to improve the purchase process? For me or for him?

KerryS

Ignored Member
Interesting point... I think there is a new wave of PEOPLE trying to get into fishing but they struggle to do so because the process of connecting with guides who provide access to the support is inefficient and confusing at best (in my experience).
If there is a new wave of people wanting to fish they can get into fishing the same way people have been getting into it for years. Buy a pole, a reel, a can of worms and go fishing. They don’t need no stinkin’ guide just some water and hopefully a fish or two. They will or will not figure it out. Jeezus fugging christmas, you all want everything served up on a platter for ya. Do something for your own damn self for a change.

Rock Creek Fan

This app would be cool if you could use it somehow to get chicks.
It would have to have advertisements for the proper clothes to wear when fishing. It would also have to have advertising for boots rods reels and high-priced flies.

The user could pay money to get rid of the ads and get advice direct from Swimmy

Latest posts