Experience with Fly Guides?!

StreamerEater

just what we need, an app to make any joe blow into a fishery pimping guide! the biggest problem i see with this is how to screen reputable guides. the good ones already have client streams and work with reputable shops or organizations to get clients. these guides probably dont need your service, unless it were offering them some major advantage.
Very smart point. Thanks for that feedback.

Preston Singletary

words of wisdom from David James Duncan:

"Consider the osprey, the heron, the kingfisher. How much verbiage and instruction do these fish-catching geniuses bestow on their unschooled young? None. These prodigies pass on the primordial art by feeding their young vomited-up trout, which naturally makes the young yearn for non-vomited trout, which makes the young sit up in the nest and observe their folks more closely, till it hits them: Eureka! I don't have to squat in this shithole eating puked-up fish all day. look at Mom and Dad out there catching fish! Look at my wings, my beak, my talons! I've got everything they've got. What the hell have I been thinking? I CAN GO FISHING MYSELF!

Anglers! Look at your guides on their days off, unguidedly catching fish after fish! Look at your legs, your arms, your rod! Feel the heft and the synaptic whir of your big cerebrum! You've got everything they've got! What the hell have you been thinking? GO FISHING YOURSELF!"

Last edited:

StreamerEater

I just reread the first post by this yahoo. Why do you need to know a little about each of us. How old we are doesn't seem to factor in on this. And to what area we fish in. I used to fish all the time. But as I grew older I slowed down.. What area do you fish in?? And how old are you. You would of been better off to tell us about yourself instead of asking these kind of Questions. How long have you been fly fishing.
+
Hi Old Man, thanks for the questions. I am 29 years old and live in Maryland. My uncles first introduced me to the sport 3 years ago in Montana, on the Missouri River. I immediately fell in love with it. I appreciated the peace, the mindfulness involved in studying the water. And most of all, it connected me with nature in a real friggin way. The guidance I received from my family was essential to getting me into the sport. A lot of you may be thinking....well it shouldn't be easy. Millennials need everything served to them on a platter. Well, the reality is the sport is dying off with people who think like that. Fly fishing is fuckin hard. Period. Should it be restricted to people who grow up on the water/had it handed down to them? I don't think so. This is my motivation for asking these questions...... if we can get more people connecting with the natural world, then that's a net positive, right? Fly fishing encourages an ecological mindset, an appreciation for nature you can't get in any brochure or school lesson.....So, anyway......sorry for rambling. I wanted to be transparent with you all. Let you know where I'm coming from and what my intentions are with asking these questions. I am not a wall street guy looking to make a quick buck. I've been fishing for three years and enjoy fishing for trout with a streamer. Hopefully this will clear some things up. With that said, I really do appreciate the constructive feedback. I understand the feeling that you don't want more "yahoos" on the water. I understand there is a solitude people value with the sport. I understand that a certain value or beauty of the sport comes from the self discovery process....in other words, figuring it out for yourself. I understand those things and appreciate your negative, but constructive comments on those points.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Hi Old Man, thanks for the questions. I am 29 years old and live in Maryland. My uncles first introduced me to the sport 3 years ago in Montana, on the Missouri River. I immediately fell in love with it. I appreciated the peace, the mindfulness involved in studying the water. And most of all, it connected me with nature in a real friggin way. The guidance I received from my family was essential to getting me into the sport. A lot of you may be thinking....well it shouldn't be easy. Millennials need everything served to them on a platter. Well, the reality is the sport is dying off with people who think like that. Fly fishing is fuckin hard. Period. Should it be restricted to people who grow up on the water/had it handed down to them? I don't think so. This is my motivation for asking these questions...... if we can get more people connecting with the natural world, then that's a net positive, right? Fly fishing encourages an ecological mindset, an appreciation for nature you can't get in any brochure or school lesson.....So, anyway......sorry for rambling. I wanted to be transparent with you all. Let you know where I'm coming from and what my intentions are with asking these questions. I am not a wall street guy looking to make a quick buck. I've been fishing for three years and enjoy fishing for trout with a streamer. Hopefully this will clear some things up. With that said, I really do appreciate the constructive feedback. I understand the feeling that you don't want more "yahoos" on the water. I understand there is a solitude people value with the sport. I understand that a certain value or beauty of the sport comes from the self discovery process....in other words, figuring it out for yourself. I understand those things and appreciate your negative, but constructive comments on those points.
This is nice @StreamerEater. This is what you should have led with! ;)

vader

Good guides already have clients and their clients return for multiple trips. Word of mouth gets them more. Why would the good ones need an app?

I’ll play along. Why not.

Question #1: I booked it a tiger muskie trip with my dad kinda late in the season. I’d already fished with that guide. First time I found him word of mouth from the guys at the fly shop I frequent. Caught 3, and my fishing partner 1, on the previous trip. My dad and I didn’t catch anything the 2nd trip (had several follows), but it was still a great experience. Weather and conditions didn’t help. Learned more. Guide was great. Would book with him again.

Question #2: Word of mouth from someone I know. I would never use an app or book someone that hasn’t been vouched for word of mouth by someone I know. I’ve only fished with a few guides over the years. I primarily hired them to gain knowledge on how to fish a particular body of water or species more effectively. A few hundred dollars for a piece of 20-40 years of knowledge is cheaper than all the gas, tackle, and vacation time I’d burn up going at it with zero knowledge.

Question #3: Nope. Showed up cash in hand.

Question #4: PayPal I guess would be handy if a guide wanted a deposit. My last guide trusted me to show up with money, and didn’t ask for a deposit.

StreamerEater

I’ll play along. Why not.

Question #1: I booked it a tiger muskie trip with my dad kinda late in the season. I’d already fished with that guide. First time I found him word of mouth from the guys at the fly shop I frequent. Caught 3, and my fishing partner 1, on the previous trip. My dad and I didn’t catch anything the 2nd trip (had several follows), but it was still a great experience. Weather and conditions didn’t help. Learned more. Guide was great. Would book with him again.

Question #2: Word of mouth from someone I know. I would never use an app or book someone that hasn’t been vouched for word of mouth by someone I know. I’ve only fished with a few guides over the years. I primarily hired them to gain knowledge on how to fish a particular body of water or species more effectively. A few hundred dollars for a piece of 20-40 years of knowledge is cheaper than all the gas, tackle, and vacation time I’d burn up going at it with zero knowledge.

Question #3: Nope. Showed up cash in hand.

Question #4: PayPal I guess would be handy if a guide wanted a deposit. My last guide trusted me to show up with money, and didn’t ask for a deposit.
Wicked helpful feedback, thank you!

Latest posts