Experience with Fly Guides?!

dustinchromers

Why would we want more people to care about our natural resources? Yeah your right that's not what we want...
Guiding isn't conservation and being a guide middle man isn't an honourable job. People seem to think resources need pimps and Johns who "care" about the resource. This is disingenuous and a fallacy you tell yourself to feel like you are doing something cool. You're attempting to hold someone's penis while they piss. That's how useful your service is. Useful for the handicap perhaps. Yet even if I were in that boat I'd not want a stranger holding it. Maybe a Dallas cowboys cheerleader if I knew her or not but not some 29 year old dude from the east coast that's for sure.

Good guides have clients, period. Any guide using an app or middle man is a hack. Any middle man is a pimp. I don't like pimps or hacks. Any real angler doesn't either. Any John who needs help getting laid in a whorehouse is an absolute helpless idiot you don't want on the water. It's called Google and word of mouth. Your air BnB bullshit is another part of what's wrong with the handout Instagram generation of wannabe anglers. If I needed a guide I'd be just fine to find one without some Google glass shit app to hold my dick. A fine fak off to you and your kind sir. Stay in Maryland and may all your trout snub your fly. Have your no shame, no honour, no motivation to create on your own?

This anti millennial get off my lawn moment has been brought to you by Black Angus, Pendleton Whiskey and Second Hand Lunker Alerts Ponzi Schemes Incorporated.

Last edited:

Tinker

Coigrich
Perhaps some of these answers are a bit harsh - although I, myself, have had a chance or two to ridicule an odd question and have piled right on, giggling the whole time.

I am in my tender seventh year of self-taught fly fishing and am still learning how to unlearn everything I learned that was wrong from the get-go. A guide could probably help me a great deal, but to be honest, I'll probably never hire a guide, despite knowing it would do me some good and shorten the path I'm on. Learning to fish with any type of gear is an exploration, and the exploration is the joy

On top of that, should I ever reverse myself and decide to work with a guide, I would never use an "app" to find a guide, nor use an "app" to locate a good guide. Wouldn't be caught dead. Old fashioned, analog word-of-mouth will always be better than any inforamtion that's been digitized.

I believe your idea might be a non-starter. Just sayin'.

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
Interesting point... I think there is a new wave of PEOPLE trying to get into fishing but they struggle to do so because the process of connecting with guides who provide access to the support is inefficient and confusing at best (in my experience).
There are always new people, however I don't see a wave of people who don't do it because they can't find a good guide! I worked at Orvis for about 4 years as a part time employee and 2 volunteering to teach their free casting and gear classes (Fly Fishing 101 and 201). Taught 1000's of people and recommended guides, equipment and ways to get started.

There are lots of places to get a review of a guide that's been around for a while, beyond their website. Personal recommendations are best and booking through a reputable service or shop is another easy way to find a good guide! Guiding is too much work and a labor of love for those who do it and are successful. The bad ones are weeded out. Basically if you see a guide charging too little, and it seems too good to be true, it many times is.

Good luck with your app /service. Not something that is "needed" in my opinion, but of course I know a ton of fantastic guides and can refer you and others to them if you ask!

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
Welcome to the forum Pat. Be mindful of everything that @Old Man says! (This forum, In part, is named -OMJ - after him for good reason!
The forum is only named OMJ, so he knows where to post.. :cool: :) Eventually I'll have to ask Chris to rename it to "FlyBill"... wait, where do I post this?

Jamie Dow

Hi Old Man, thanks for the questions. I am 29 years old and live in Maryland. My uncles first introduced me to the sport 3 years ago in Montana, on the Missouri River. I immediately fell in love with it. I appreciated the peace, the mindfulness involved in studying the water. And most of all, it connected me with nature in a real friggin way. The guidance I received from my family was essential to getting me into the sport. A lot of you may be thinking....well it shouldn't be easy. Millennials need everything served to them on a platter. Well, the reality is the sport is dying off with people who think like that. Fly fishing is fuckin hard. Period. Should it be restricted to people who grow up on the water/had it handed down to them? I don't think so. This is my motivation for asking these questions...... if we can get more people connecting with the natural world, then that's a net positive, right? Fly fishing encourages an ecological mindset, an appreciation for nature you can't get in any brochure or school lesson.....So, anyway......sorry for rambling. I wanted to be transparent with you all. Let you know where I'm coming from and what my intentions are with asking these questions. I am not a wall street guy looking to make a quick buck. I've been fishing for three years and enjoy fishing for trout with a streamer. Hopefully this will clear some things up. With that said, I really do appreciate the constructive feedback. I understand the feeling that you don't want more "yahoos" on the water. I understand there is a solitude people value with the sport. I understand that a certain value or beauty of the sport comes from the self discovery process....in other words, figuring it out for yourself. I understand those things and appreciate your negative, but constructive comments on those points.
Exactly when did you find the Missouri River to be peaceful? Maybe in January? If you fished the Blue Ribbon rivers frequently, you wouldn't think we need more guides or more fly fishers.

rotato

I would like an app that would rate the meals that guides give you. I didn’t trudge all the way to Campeche to get served a friggin Subway sandwich. Gross. However the homemade tamales that one of the guides wives made and loaded on each boat out of Xcilak we’re worth the long dusty drive.

dustinchromers

Is there an app where I can wear virtual reality glasses and communicate with a guide who's at home to coach and encourage me where to cast? Now that would be cool. You know cause I want to do it myself. That shouldn't be that big of a leap beings everyone go pros themselves everywhere these days.

Rob Allen

If there is a new wave of people wanting to fish they can get into fishing the same way people have been getting into it for years. Buy a pole, a reel, a can of worms and go fishing. They don’t need no stinkin’ guide just some water and hopefully a fish or two. They will or will not figure it out. Jeezus fugging christmas, you all want everything served up on a platter for ya. Do something for your own damn self for a change.

Thats why i consider most guides chater charter captains not real guides.

If your client needs you at the end of the day you didn't guide them.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Maybe there should be another release of the Movie "A River runs through it" It was that movie that made all the difference in people getting into fly fishing.

I started out in this sport when I got out of the service in 1956. Went out and bought my first fly rod in 1957. This was before they had the internet for everybody to use. I've been fly fishing ever since a long with other types of fishing, but mostly fly fishing. I have found that if you get out and explore you will find places to fish where you don't need a guide to help you fish.

Steve Saville

I have been fly fishing for about 40 years. In the beginning, I was self taught which means I didn't know squat about the sport. I went to a three day "school" on the Deschutes river which, as advertised, cut the learning curve in half. Since then, I have been to a couple more schools to cut the curve further, fished with many guides, used their equipment, brought my own equipment which I prefer, and eaten numerous streamside meals self provided or provided by the guides. They haven't always been word of mouth. The internet always helps to narrow my choices these days but when I first started, I found guides and schools in magazines or through a shop.

For the most part, I have had pretty good success with the guides. Out of maybe 20 or 30 trips, I came away disillusioned maybe less than three or four times. I haven't always caught fish because fishing is a crap shoot at best. I have stayed at B & B's, hotels, motels, and VRBO houses. The comfort level varies with the accommodations. The experience is what I make of it. Whether this app works or not isn't relevant. It's a free country and if someone wants to invent something that presumably make the experience better from start to finish, more power to them. It is that person's time. Personally, I doubt I would use it but when I am teaching a class, I always mention web sites, YouTube videos, and apps that might be helpful. Students either take notes and use them or not.

Why would we fault this young person for trying to make fly fishing better for some? It doesn't make sense to me. I use a guide to broaden my knowledge of an unknown place mostly but sometimes just to get out and fish a known location better.

Latest posts