I'm not good at being irresponsible

jersey

livin' the dream
You gotta go. The memories are worth it. Yup, they do cost money, but for that amount of money for a week, it’s worth it.

Sell two reels and your licenses are covered. I’ll bet you you have a shelf or two with goodies on em which you no longer need.

SilverFly

Yeah that's a lot of money to go fishing in Oregon
OK, I have to admit you made me chuckle on that one.

Here, let me fix that for you...
Yeah that's a lot of money to go fishing in Oregon ... other than offshore, where it is currently possible to catch more albacore tuna than anywhere else on the planet, with the possibility of bluefin tuna to 300+ pounds, mako shark, dorado, yellowtail, Hawaiian moonfish, AND striped marlin.

BTW, Yes Rob, if that's what stokes your steamboat, then you should go. Just pay the damn card off as quickly as possible.

underachiever

members only
Low water and no fish, just like last year.
I just got back from a 3 day trip and the conditions are significantly better than the previous two years. Lee wasn't at the Big Bend pool the day I stopped by (gone on a short trip) but Rich Zellman was there in his place. He mentioned that Lee was more optimistic about the number of fish in the pool this year and Rich said that he's found the fishing this summer was better than the last couple.

shotgunner

Anywhere ~ Anytime
Your in CO now?

Another GO vote here.

Also, a favored quote on food costs from my good friend Charles.. specifically for this EXACT situation. "You gotta eat.. no matter where your at."

Gas 300
Camping 100
Licenses 220
Food?
Say 800 bucks +0r-

underachiever

members only
Some further detail from my recent trip...

My girlfriend hooked her first steelhead! On a skater! In Station! She wasn't able to land it, I doubt anyone could have. It was large for a summer fish, tough to put a real accurate measurement on a fish you never touched but certainly double digits. I've caught plenty of fish but I don't recall ever hooking one quite this hot and acrobatic. In the short time she was connected it was up and down the pool, which isn't large, but the jumping was like nothing I'd ever seen. It's final leap was in the tailout right before it left the pool leaving only a frayed piece of 12lb leader. She was giddy, nearly as much as I was.

This is the 3rd year she's joined me on a trip down there in early September. In 2017 she was still very new to fly fishing and spey casting. She had gotten a casting lesson earlier that year and fished with me a number of times so she was a fine enough caster in situations where casting isn't challenging. She (nor I) got any steelhead that trip but she did catch a massive (>20") brown trout that she was very excited about. In 2018, the fishing was miserable. The trip was fun anyway, it always is. She enjoys fishing and spey casting and gets excited about how her casting has improved with time. Despite the dismal conditions and numbers over the last couple years she's continued to go fishing with me even when I've had little to no success myself. She's certainly paid her dues putting in tons of time and effort, so this fish was particularly enjoyable.

IMG_0839.JPGIMG_0861.JPG

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
Some further detail from my recent trip...

My girlfriend hooked her first steelhead! On a skater! In Station! She wasn't able to land it, I doubt anyone could have. It was large for a summer fish, tough to put a real accurate measurement on a fish you never touched but certainly double digits. I've caught plenty of fish but I don't recall ever hooking one quite this hot and acrobatic. In the short time she was connected it was up and down the pool, which isn't large, but the jumping was like nothing I'd ever seen. It's final leap was in the tailout right before it left the pool leaving only a frayed piece of 12lb leader. She was giddy, nearly as much as I was.

This is the 3rd year she's joined me on a trip down there in early September. In 2017 she was still very new to fly fishing and spey casting. She had gotten a casting lesson earlier that year and fished with me a number of times so she was a fine enough caster in situations where casting isn't challenging. She (nor I) got any steelhead that trip but she did catch a massive (>20") brown trout that she was very excited about. In 2018, the fishing was miserable. The trip was fun anyway, it always is. She enjoys fishing and spey casting and gets excited about how her casting has improved with time. Despite the dismal conditions and numbers over the last couple years she's continued to go fishing with me even when I've had little to no success myself. She's certainly paid her dues putting in tons of time and effort, so this fish was particularly enjoyable.

View attachment 211678View attachment 211679
That's awesome. You are one of the true good guys that I have contacted on this forum. I'm happy for you.

Go Sox,
cds

Wyobee

This site needs a go fund me forum, I'd put in 25$, that would probably make be a bronze sponsor, 50$ for silver, 100$ for gold, ... But that would probably be communism, go with the credit card debt, Merica.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Rob, on your death bed are you going to be thinking "geez I'm glad I didn't go to the North Umpqua"?

Latest posts