Sage

Steve Saville

It's a bit of a trip; Sixty miles each way but really a pretty easy drive for me. I just got my spey rod back last week. No problems, no questions asked, just a smile when I picked it up and a beautiful job as always. If you're close enough, you should make the drive.

I go through my local fly shop to have them send rods in for repairs. With that said, the pricing for repairs on the older models is steep for a previously "lifetime garuntee."

KerryS

Ignored Member
I go through my local fly shop to have them send rods in for repairs. With that said, the pricing for repairs on the older models is steep for a previously "lifetime garuntee."
What do you consider “steep”? I sent in an over 15 year old 8124 that two of the 3 sections were broken, only the top section intact. Forty bucks for essentially a new rod.

Triggw

I think the concern was with Sage's Web site rather than their repair services per se. I haven't accessed the repair pages, but I find using their Web site incredibly frustrating and almost impossible at times. Things take waaay too long to load, and links to other pages aren't activated until the page fully loads, so you click and click and go nowhere.

And welcome to the forum!

Trigg
--//--

Josh

dead in the water
Yeah, their prices have gone up for older rod repair in the past couple of years.

Annoying, yes. I've got a broken Approach that I need to decide to trash or get fixed and the fact that it will cost half of what a used one would is frustrating.

But also it's worth still being impressed that we can get older rods repaired at all. I don't know of many rod makers who can still fix some random rod they made 20 years back. Sage can.

XP

Basically, if you have an old “classic” Sage rod make it a damn good one or you’ll be paying the cost of the rod.

75BA012E-62C1-468A-9517-54C238836830.jpeg
5A77F575-0532-44D9-974E-C2768EEFE216.jpeg

Nogz

I just sent in my broken Z-Axis and have been compulsively checking for updates since I want it back for coho. The website has been working fine for me but doesn't have much info anyway. "Repair is being processed"
1568305137155.png

Maybe give customer service a call.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I think the concern was with Sage's Web site rather than their repair services per se. I haven't accessed the repair pages, but I find using their Web site incredibly frustrating and almost impossible at times. Things take waaay too long to load, and links to other pages aren't activated until the page fully loads, so you click and click and go nowhere.

And welcome to the forum!

Trigg
--//--
Since it is all part of one family, maybe they are trying to keep up with Rio, which has got to be the worst fly line website ever.......
SF

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
I think it is amazing how Sage backs up their old gear. My 7 weight RPLX got broken this summer. The Sage website didn’t even acknowledge that they made a 7 in that rod, and it’s at least 20 years since they did. And yet, they managed to make a new section to fit it!

It looks pretty weird now with one new section on the other two ancient ones...

Steve Saville

The repair chart shows $75 for the repair of a Method. The aforementioned spey rod that I took in for repair is a Method 6126. I took it over with a broken tip. It was there two weeks and I picked it up. No charge. So perhaps the charges are for shipping and handling. I don't know but through the years I have sent two Sage rods in for repair and gotten both back, promptly, no charge. I sent one through a shop several years ago and it cost $75 if I remember correctly. I think it's in the shipping and handling. Of course everybody doesn't have the time or luxury to drive over but I have three RPLXi 5 pc. rods and if I was to break one, I'd gladly pay $150 to replace any because of the portability as well as fishability, if that's a word..

Cougar Zeke

I took a 7136 ZAxis in because the male #1 ferrule broke last April. I was just expecting them to repair that.

The lady I met in the lobby took the rod into the back and came back out and said the whole thing needs to be rebuilt..... I was like OK..... I wasn't expecting that.....

5 weeks later they called and said it was ready for pickup. When I got there to pick it up, it was totally rebuilt- new cork and everything. I'll never have anything bad to say about Sage. Ever

Ron Olsen

Just got done with a repair on my XP. Had a tipsy boat problem that resulted in a broken butt section. Called them up and was told could mail it in (using the above mentioned web page..!..) and $75 per section to repair. Or bring it in for a meet and greet and NC. That works for me, so rode bicycle from Kirkland to Day Road. Talk about friendly folks! Several came over to see my problem. Sincere concern. And I took the tour. They should serve "the Kool-Aid" as I was like a hooked trout. Amazing tour and to see how they really do it.
Each rod has a recipe with various long spindles, sheets of the appropriate graphite/boron/carbon fiber based on the type of rod, number of sections, handle etc. Also have all the color codes, ferrules, set up etc. Large storage areas for all the appropriate rods, all historically marked. Like a walk back in time.
When it is time (and they also found a crack in #2 section in my case) a single person gathers the correct information and arranges for the materials to be lined up, cut from patterns etc. Then they wrap the material at the appropriate area on the long spindle (marked by code references) and it is baked on. Cut to exact size, color is applied to match the original rod, and put in this amazing rotating drying machine. Piece(s) then assembled. Awesome process, and incredible tour. Take it, even if you don't have a Sage Rod in need of repair! It's like a family operation. And a large percentage of the overall work is, repairing rods. These things are incredible tools, but made of fragile materials. Sage stands by their products. Hence the high price, but worth it IMHO.
Start to finish for my repair was just under four weeks. So back on my bike to Day Road.
Couldn't be more pleased, or impressed by the company. And enjoyed the ferry ride... $4.80 round trip senior Orca card on a bike.
Ron

Latest posts