Rain coat

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
I've got an Orvis jacket that is bomb proof!! Doubles as a vest with large pockets. Mine is 4 or 5 years old. I'm sure it's as good as comparable Patagonia or Simms jackets! With my Simms G4s I stay dry and toasty, with the right layers underneath...

s.flexneri

I needed a new one as well and talked to a dozen people/friends and it all came down to a KUIU Yukon jacket. Made/designed for hunting but hey, we are hunters as well on the water ;-) First impression is dynamite!! four way stretch design with awesome fit etc..... plenty of pockets for fishing as well.

Elliott5400

Man says he isn't wealthy, everyone recommends Patagonia and Outdoor Research lol.

Here's something that will keep a few bucks in your wallet: Columbia Diablo Creek.

Also, I wouldn't touch a synthetic base layer for the life of me. Go Merino Wool, you won't go back. It's what the experts wear.

Elliott5400

Yup

In the NW, 3 different Merino wool weights cover pretty much anything. Look for online sales at Sierra or similar discounters.
Good stuff.
I've got so much Merino it ain't funny. Once you try the smartwool nts boxers for Hiking, you will never go back!

Keeps you warm and dry even when wet. Cool and comfy in summer, warm in winter. It is truly the best base layer you can have.

I guarantee you a non Gore-Tex jacket with a good DWR coating and a Merino base layer would keep you satisfied and then some. If you can find a deal on Gore-Tex I wouldn't pass it up though. I've got vintage Gore-Tex jackets that just needed a wash and fresh renewal of DWR and they shed water just as good as day one.

Last edited:
For a long time I would wear a military surplus goretex jacket when I got back into fly fishing. Still wear it in November during chum season. You can probably get them online for around $80. I bought mine for $20. Went on a trip with a group of guys, and one of them was being kinda snooty about my jacket. His $500 Simms jacket leaked on the trip. My $20 jacket didn’t. Don’t worry about impressing other fishermen. Buy what you can afford, what works for you, and have fun. Been wearing my Kuiu hunting rain jacket lately because it’s super light.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
I’ve been wearing a hand me down bright blue Gortex coat for over 20 years and love it still. It is showing it’s wear, but it keeps me dry and to me, perfect. (When i first started fishing I was given a new vest i drove back and forth over it with my car in the dirt and gravel so i wouldn’t look so much like a newbie.) This jacket has great pockets too. I would feel ridiculous wearing a $500 jacket!

It probably wouldn’t pass the Swimmy test, but the vibrant color is a good one one me! Hahaha....

I wonder....couldn’t find such jackets at consignment shops or Goodwill?

NW_flyfisher

if it's not this, then what?
My wife was at the outlet mall in Auburn. She wandered into the Columbia outlet store and bought me their “watertight II” model. It’s breathable and cost @$55
I finally used it and it’s a lighter option to my Simms rain jacket.

Squamishpoacher

I've got an Orvis jacket that is bomb proof!! Doubles as a vest with large pockets. Mine is 4 or 5 years old. I'm sure it's as good as comparable Patagonia or Simms jackets! With my Simms G4s I stay dry and toasty, with the right layers underneath...
Like he says. Anything else is a gamble. Had mine six years and will never spend a dime on anything else if this one ever wears out.

hedburner

Go to walmart and get some frog togs dirt cheap and waterproof. not recomended for any bushwacking but for everyday staying dry can't beat em.

Replicant

Go Merino Wool, you won't go back. It's what the experts wear.
THIS!!!! Look for smartwool and/or Icebreaker. Look for them on bargain sites. Go ahead and buy used. Nobody cares and wool doesn't stink like the fake stuff. Buy a used Patagonia, Arc'teryx, etc. breathable shell on ebay or any bargain bin. They're out there. Then use a tech-wash (REI) to get the material realigned. I'm still using an Arc'teryx shell from 15 years ago.

Latest posts