Rain coat

Elliott5400

THIS!!!! Look for smartwool and/or Icebreaker. Look for them on bargain sites. Go ahead and buy used. Nobody cares and wool doesn't stink like the fake stuff. Buy a used Patagonia, Arc'teryx, etc. breathable shell on ebay or any bargain bin. They're out there. Then use a tech-wash (REI) to get the material realigned. I'm still using an Arc'teryx shell from 15 years ago.
The only synthetic layer I'm fine with is the Patagonia Capilene.

Today's wear for me is a Patagonia Capilene 3 Polartec with an ultralight Arc'teryx windbreaker. Both acquired extremely cheap second hand.

Another useful function of Merino Wool is with Snowboarding. We commonly change in the parking lot, and when it's time to leave after a night sesh the synthetic is very breezy and chilly when you pull the jacket off. With Merino, you just don't suffer that chill the synthetic brings. Just pull the shell jacket off, and hop straight into the heated seat for pure warm and cozy pleasure for the long ride back.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Asking someone about the best jacket to wear in the PNW is like asking someone the best fly rod you should buy. You'll end up with a lot of different opinions which may or may not apply to you.

Unfortunately, there is no perfect jacket for everyone. I have a number of different "breathable" and "rain resistant" jackets in different weights and lengths that I use depending on the time of year. My first Gortex was from REI and you had to seal the seams with what appeared to be plastic model glue to make it truly "waterproof".

Over the years I went away from genuine Gortex (the patent ran out) because I found it wasn't really any better than other less expensive breathable outerwear. Consequently, I own a wide range of brands and type of jackets... some fairly inexpensive.

What does help with any breathable clothing is to wash it once a year with the cleaner meant to reactivate the breathable feature.

sportsman

I never found a jacket that was decent for hiking/fishing that I would EVER play golf in. Frog Togs may work for both and they are cheap enough.

rawalker

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all the input. I completely forgot about checking Goodwill! That will be my first stop. If that doesn't pan out, I'll start looking around based on what everyone has said.
And $100 is very reasonable for me.
As far as impeding my golf swing, not much could make it any worse than it is. If I'm playing in the rain, I'm not keeping score anyway, it's just a way to get outdoors for a while.
Thanks again.
richard

Kilchis

Only two of the members of WFF recognize me on sight and they already know I'm a lowlife so I guess I can 'fess up. You can do a LOT worse than one of the Costco breathable shell/pant combos. I bought mine about a decade ago for $30. The jacket is still my standard go-to for fishing in the rain when I am in my toon or tube unless I think Swimmy is around. Then I wear my Redington.

That being said, I have had a number of breathable parkas and jackets and the garment hasn't been made that I can't outsweat.

Oh, and Goodwill lists their better stuff online at Shopgoodwill.

Elliott5400

Only two of the members of WFF recognize me on sight and they already know I'm a lowlife so I guess I can 'fess up. You can do a LOT worse than one of the Costco breathable shell/pant combos. I bought mine about a decade ago for $30. The jacket is still my standard go-to for fishing in the rain when I am in my toon or tube unless I think Swimmy is around. Then I wear my Redington.

That being said, I have had a number of breathable parkas and jackets and the garment hasn't been made that I can't outsweat.

Oh, and Goodwill lists their better stuff online at Shopgoodwill.
Do not support Shopgoodwill. They receive their merchandise for free and prey on folks to pay near retail prices for their stuff.

You're better off supporting a legit small seller on eBay, and finding a better deal.

ryc72

I use a Columbia outdry jacket as well. Works great. Light. Good movement. And no chance of wet out regardless of how much water it’s exposed to. Breathes as well as any other waterproof jacket as far as i can tell. So much cheaper than goretex to boot.

Latest posts