Suiattle river

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Nobody bitches when one talks about blue ribbon waters, so why get mad over others places.
Because of this.
Everyone and their mother can read this thread, honestly Jim some of these areas are seeing too much pressure because of this online forum...
+1 I understand and changed my mind about a post.

Jim, I commend you for wanting to help new or new to WA anglers. But there's probably a better way to do it for a seasoned expatriate WA angler living in MT than naming specific streams that in the years since your departure have become fragile fisheries in WA unable to sustain the pressure that the number eyes on this forum can generate.

Cmjamesmt

I get it guys I’m a Montana guy but been here over 20 I don’t tell anyone about specific spots all I fricken asked if the river is decent for Christ sakes. I’m the the guy who packs your trash out Yes I’m a new member but I have been lurking on here for years. Why is this young ass beating up the old man. Why I hate people and a purge would be good for the world

Jakob B

I get it guys I’m a Montana guy but been here over 20 I don’t tell anyone about specific spots all I fricken asked if the river is decent for Christ sakes. I’m the the guy who packs your trash out Yes I’m a new member but I have been lurking on here for years. Why is this young ass beating up the old man. Why I hate people and a purge would be good for the world
Im not beating him up, if you've lurked here you would know a thing about hot spotting and certain peoples tendencies to talk about fragile watersheds (and why people have taken offense to lurkers lately). Secondly, twice he contradicted himself within one of his response to me. Lastly, I still stand by my first comment towards you, this river is brutal, almost always no visibility and difficult wading and floating. There is some other great fishing around there. I have no animosity towards you or Jim. Lots of great fishermen on this page feel similarly as I do in regards to talking about fragile watersheds off the beaten path. They know what can happen when a few too many people who don't have respect for a watershed or the process at which it takes someone to find something off the beaten path. Just let the likes on my thoughts I've shared and other peoples comments show this and that I'm not beating anyone up or trying to say I own a spot, or river, or any watershed because that's BS. So if people can't read between the lines on this thread or the multitude of other threads then I'm sorry I can't help them, whether they're a long time member or lurker. It's not that hard to get -- but then again I'm a millennial so I must be a effing moron according to most people on here.

Jakob

Jakob B

in the years since your departure have become fragile fisheries in WA unable to sustain the pressure that the number eyes on this forum can generate.
THANK YOU! Holy shit someone gets it. I'd love to still be able to fish in WA when I grow old. You all got to fish it in the hay days, I'm picking up the scraps and trying to find things no one has found in a while. But people want to just blab about it to someone on here who just bought a fly fishing kit on Amazon so they can go drop bobbers on it, take pictures with some poor trout dragged up on the rocks, then tell all their trout brahs about it. I've seen it, you guys have all seen it. It happens. No one does or says anything in confidence anymore. Everyone has got to get their fix of attention in their posts (reports). This thing is about fishing, let people do their thing and figure it out and you can do yours.

Jakob

Old Man

Just an Old Man
All this bitching about me giving out places to fish got me thinking. I know that's a chore for an old man. But I'm not the first guy to do this. It's just because you all think I am. When I got into fishing in General. I bought a book out of Jerry's surplus. It is called Fishing in Western Washington. It was mostly on the "S: Rivers,- But it also hit quite a few rivers on the wet side of the State. From the Canadian border to the Washington /Oregon border

It called out about 50 to 100 fishing sites on those rivers. It also told you how to get to those spots. This is what sent me down this road. I didn't find all my spots by driving around looking for them. I had that fishing Bible so to speak.I think you can still get that book on Ebay or Amazon. I had one and I copied the maps and info on them and passed them around to my friends. Just think if you all had that book you wouldn't all be bitching at me all the time.

You all think I'm an ass hole for doing this when I'm not really the bad guy here. I'm really a map nut. I have many maps of King, Snohomish, Skagit and a few over on the dry side. I also use the National Forest maps. I have them from the Coast to the Idaho Border. I also have the Natgeo disc set of all 50 states. I know where to go and where not to go. It's hard to get me lost.

My homewaters when I lived in Washington were the Stilly Both forks. The Skykomish both forks. Mostly on the S/F head waters. I've been fishing those water mostly by myself For almost 50 years. In that length of time you are bound to find places off the main drag so to speak.. I fished down logging roads that don't exist anymore. I can say I've been down the road and and around the bend many times.

Jakob B

Yup Jim I get it. You told those stories before and honestly I appreciate them for what they are. As I said. I have no animosity at all. But I must be the bad guy for picking fights. Just trying to lookout for watersheds that I hold dear as the up coming generation. Times have changed. Contexts have changed. So he how we fish and interact with people.

That’s all I got, can read what I said before but most people will think I’m just being a dick.

Jakob

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Yup Jim I get it. You told those stories before and honestly I appreciate them for what they are. As I said. I have no animosity at all. But I must be the bad guy for picking fights. Just trying to lookout for watersheds that I hold dear as the up coming generation. Times have changed. Contexts have changed. So he how we fish and interact with people.

That’s all I got, can read what I said before but most people will think I’m just being a dick.

Jakob
I don't think your the bad guy. You were just speaking your mind. It opened a few eyes. But you made me think of what I put out there. This all has been put on paper before I even thought of even fishing. I started out with a hand line at about 12 years old. Riding my bike to some little blue lines on a map. But back in those days you didn't need a map. As a kid fishing skinny water nobody ever gave you a thought as to what you were fishing for.

Jakob B

I don't think your the bad guy. You were just speaking your mind. It opened a few eyes. But you made me think of what I put out there. This all has been put on paper before I even thought of even fishing. I started out with a hand line at about 12 years old. Riding my bike to some little blue lines on a map. But back in those days you didn't need a map. As a kid fishing skinny water nobody ever gave you a thought as to what you were fishing for.
See I think that is awesome and I wish I grew up at a time when that was possible. Times were different back then and we won’t get that back, therefore, I envy you.

Jakob

Salmo_g

JFC. Suiattle, Suiattle, Suiattle. If there's a river in WA that's impossible to hotspot it's the Suiattle. It's closed to fishing most of the year, including those months when the water is actually clear enough to fish. It's turbid with glacial flour all summer and into the fall, like now, often from the melting of Chocolate Glacier. The river has about 1 inch of visibility on a good day. Good luck fishing there. The main recreational use of the Suiattle is white water rafting and kayaking; there are so few pools suitable for fishing. It ain't easy fly fishing from a moving kayak while you're trying to stay upright and alive.

The major Suiattle River tributaries are important spring Chinook spawning streams. These salmon spawn in August and early September. Please don't be one of the jerks up there harassing, or poaching, the salmon. They are ESA threatened and need people to lay off them.

Oh, and good luck to anyone who has so much time on their hands as to waste it fishing or trying to fish the Suiattle. You'll need it.

Cmjamesmt

Gentleman I’m not looking for secret spots and I’m not a newbie to flyfishing. I grew up fly fishing in Montana I didn’t just pick up a flyfishing package from amazon. I have an 8 year old and a 10 year old that have started flyfishing this summer. And I’m looking for good waters for them. The thing about flyfishing is it is meditation, helps teach them about being a good patron of the outdoors. And how to care for it. If more folks were involved in hunting and fishing we would have better waters to fish and land to hunt. I will never give key spots I know to people. I get it. We are whores to our waters

KerryS

Ignored Member
I remember when I first moved to the mainland after living on Lopez for the last 15 or so years. I had absolutely no knowledge of the rivers in NW Washington. I hadn’t fished freshwater in over twenty years and this was long before the internet was available. I did what we used to do back when I was in Oregon and fishing rivers. I got a map and started looking for places to fish. One of the rivers that caught my eye was the Suiattle. I drove up 530 and found Suiattle River road. Drove up that thing looking for access to the river. Finally found a spot where I could get down to the river. The water was like watered down milk. Visibility was an inch or two. Thus began my journey learning about and fishing the “S” rivers.

Latest posts