Suiattle river

Dustin Bise

Hot-spotting Sheriff.
Gentleman I’m not looking for secret spots and I’m not a newbie to flyfishing. I grew up fly fishing in Montana I didn’t just pick up a flyfishing package from amazon. I have an 8 year old and a 10 year old that have started flyfishing this summer. And I’m looking for good waters for them. The thing about flyfishing is it is meditation, helps teach them about being a good patron of the outdoors. And how to care for it. If more folks were involved in hunting and fishing we would have better waters to fish and land to hunt. I will never give key spots I know to people. I get it. We are whores to our waters
you clearly dont get it.... despite being told repeatedly.

Rock Creek Fan

Yup Jim I get it. You told those stories before and honestly I appreciate them for what they are. As I said. I have no animosity at all. But I must be the bad guy for picking fights. Just trying to lookout for watersheds that I hold dear as the up coming generation. Times have changed. Contexts have changed. So he how we fish and interact with people.

That’s all I got, can read what I said before but most people will think I’m just being a dick.

Jakob
I understand why protecting certain rivers/streams is important. But entire drainages/watersheds be protected? If that happened there would be no fishing (or mention of fishing) on the OP or on any river in Western Washington for that matter.

In my 60+ years of fishing in Western Washington I have seen waters close to me get decimated or become barren. What were once pristine waters in a beautiful setting away from it all have become large developments of waterfront properties, polluted with lawn care products and whatever else gets thrown into them, eroded streambeds subject to rapidly rising flood waters with the slightest amount of precipitation, full of poachers and tweekers, and failed sewage/septic systems, to name a few...

Yes times have changed. So have contexts changed. Having millennials provide the opportunity to forthcoming generations is great. Wish my forefathers would of thought the same way when they would take pics of the 50-100 salmon/steelhead they caught that day.

One can expend a lot of energy on a site trying to protect drainages probably with minimal success. Would it not be better to expend that same energy working with land/water management and restoration organizations, fish and wildlife bureaus, conservation groups, etc. to bring real change that would protect drainages for future generations?

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
It seems to me the Internet has killed the desire of lots of folks to just get out and explore.
It is just easier to ask about specific spots.
I’ve burned a lot of gas over the years checking places out, many of which turned into less then stellar fishing trips. The exploring did pay off on future trips though.
Exploring and finding new places to fish on your own are almost as much fun as the fishing itself in my opinion.

Sure people have jobs, family commitments etc that might limit their time on the water, but don’t use that as an excuse for not putting in the leg work when you have time available.
That situation isn’t unique just to them.

I’ve always like the posts that start out with...” I’m thinking about fishing.....”
WTF is there to think about? Just go do it.
If you need affirmation or a guarantee you’ll catch fish from a bunch of people before you go, you might as well give it up.

By the way, will there be any coho or silvers in MA 9 this Saturday around 9:00 AM?
SF

Last edited:

zen leecher aka bill w

born to work, forced to fish
It seems to me the Internet has killed the desire of lots of folks to just get out and explore.
I’ve burned a lot of gas over the years checking places out, many of which turned into less then stellar fishing trips. The exploring did pay off on future trips though.
Exploring and finding new places to fish on your own are almost as much fun as the fishing itself in my opinion.

Sure people have jobs, family commitments etc that might limit their time on the water, but don’t use that as an excuse for not putting in the leg work when you have time available.
That situation isn’t a unique just to them.

I’ve always like the posts that start out with...” I’m thinking about fishing.....”
If you need affirmation or a guarantee you’ll catch fish from a bunch of people before you go, you might as well give it up.

By the way, will there be any coho or silvers in MA 9 this Saturday around 9:00 AM?
SF

Back in the days I was a young sprout (and most of you weren't born) I bought a Metzger map and checked out all the blue lines around Lynnwood and the outlying areas. I fished Swamp Creek, Bear Creek, Johnson Creek, Cherry Creek and a few others before I found some gems. I think of the 4 I mentioned, only Cherry Creek is open for fishing.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Back in the days I was a young sprout (and most of you weren't born) I bought a Metzger map and checked out all the blue lines around Lynnwood and the outlying areas. I fished Swamp Creek, Bear Creek, Johnson Creek, Cherry Creek and a few others before I found some gems. I think of the 4 I mentioned, only Cherry Creek is open for fishing.
I was also this way when I first started out. But Metzger maps didn't have any blue lines, the maps are black and white only.:p But I still get it.

I just started out reading the posts that I started with when I first started coming on here They/I started out in 2002. They aren't any different than now. But back in 2002 things were a little different.

Matt B

That situation isn’t a unique just to them.

SF
Even better is this question: “Is it worth it to fish River/Beach X?”

How the hell should I know if it’s worth it to you; that’s a personal decision! You’re better off just going and then deciding if it was worth it. Then you’ll know next time.

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
Even better is this question: “Is it worth it to fish River/Beach X?”

How the hell should I know if it’s worth it to you; that’s a personal decision! You’re better off just going and then deciding if it was worth it. Then you’ll know next time.
The other one that kills me is “has anyone fished river x lately?”
This pops up all the time on fishing forums during prime river salmon fishing periods.

No, nobody is fishing there....WTF?
SF

Jakob B

Would it not be better to expend that same energy working with land/water management and restoration organizations, fish and wildlife bureaus, conservation groups, etc. to bring real change that would protect drainages for future generations?
Yes you are also correct, there's not one solution to any problem these days. Our issues are complicated and multi-faceted This is why I am going to college to get a degree in Biology and Environmental Studies Policy. My goal is to be a fisheries biologist or work with public land management, something Washington has fallen behind in.

Jakob

Porter

I would like to camp and fish at river Xyz. I don’t want your secret fishing spot but I would like your camping spot and if you could keep the coals hot so I don’t have to start my own fire I would appreciate that, leave some wood behind would be cool too. Matter of fact if you can keep your tent up that would be great and I can return it to you at a time convenient for me or better yet if you leave me your cell number I can call you when I’m done using it. Then you can pack it up it up in the way you like, for surely you would end up airing it out and repacking anyways. And if you have a clothes line up just leave it... I have a great pair of Tommy Bahamas Chinos I like to air out before each fishing adventure while I sit around in my overly tight exofficio mesh underwear with a nice stoked fire drinking my Waka coffee. Tight lines everyone!!!

JACKspASS

Like we always say.......watch out for wolves, tweakers, hornets, broken glass, and sudden water releases from the aforementioned glaciers, besides that, enjoy.

KerryS

Ignored Member
Like we always say.......watch out for wolves, tweakers, hornets, broken glass, and sudden water releases from the aforementioned glaciers, besides that, enjoy.
You did it again...you left out grizzlies, cougars, and now goats.

JACKspASS

You did it again...you left out grizzlies, cougars, and now goats.
I should have swapped 'broken glass' for grizzlies. After all, they have been spotted in that general area. I definitely wouldnt go up there. Its a freakin warzone compared to OMJ's days

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I made a trip up in there before I came to Montana. I drove up to the end of the road They were working on the area that got washed out. The bridge to the other side of the river was washed out. I heard that they finally replaced it. Lots of different things on the other side of the river. You can find many things by driving down old logging roads.

Latest posts