First OR report

Gary Thompson

dirty dog
I moved from Wenatchee, WA to Glide, OR this summer and I did not wet a line for over two months.
OR had a free fishing day and I went out and wet a line, I did not catch any fish.
I did make some out standing casts, but no love from the fish.
I fished in the N. Umpqua river system.
I started out above the fly only area at the first lake, beautiful body of water with rising fish.
My lady was standing above me and said the fish would come look at my fly then swim away.
We drove up to the next lake and I fished the river coming into the lake.
Damn cold water to be wet wading in, no rising fish, saw no fish. The skitter were biting, so we didn't stay long.
Next stop was Stump lake, crystal clear water no fish seen.
I check out the out flow and found fish rising.
Alright, I'm gonna catch a fish. I say to myself. I string up my rod and I'm trying to slip into the creek and slip, make a big splash and blow the fish out of there, damn.
Last Thursday I broke down a paid my non resident lic. fee.
I was going to go visit a friend that lives in the Bend area so I stop on Fall river to catch my first OR trout in many years.
Fall river is a lot like the warm ditch in central WA. except cold water and ya can keep a couple if ya want.
I stopped at two different parking areas, both were crowded. I moved on to another and had the place to myself.
It was foggy and I didn't see any fish near the parking area, so I took off up the trail until there was no trail, then started hunting for fish along the creek.
The fog burned off and some bad ass bugs bit me up for a few minutes, not skitters, but mean.
I bugs didn't last long and the hunt for fish continues.
I found a couple fish along a cut bank and made my first cast using a hare's ear and had a strike, but no take. I cast to the next fish up stream, not even a look at my fly. more casts and the fish move on.
I switch to a scud, and hunt for some new fish, sure enough I find some more up stream and get a strike, but again the fish spits the fly before I can react, damn tough fish, very hip.
I switch to my old stand by for RF, the Glow bug. Sure enough the next fish takes my bug and I set up but no hook set, I pulled the bug right out of it's mouth, next fish same thing, two more takes and no hook set. (OK, you guessed it, dull hook).
I sharpen my hook and sure enough the next fish gets it right in the nose.
Well all that walking had taken me back to the parking lot and I caught the fish in view of my rig.
It was a nice rainbow about 18/19 in.
At least I don't smell like a skunk any more

GAT

Dumbfounded
Most folks fish the N Ump for the steelhead and don't even think about the trout. But as you found, there are some nice trout in the Ump but most fly anglers up there are obsessed with the steelhead and have no idea what they are missing. Good for you!

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
Most folks fish the N Ump for the steelhead and don't even think about the trout. But as you found, there are some nice trout in the Ump but most fly anglers up there are obsessed with the steelhead and have no idea what they are missing. Good for you!
Before I moved to OR, I only knew of the Deschutes as a steelhead river. Seems like for most people that actually live down here, it's primarily a trout river. Steelhead definitely seem to steal the headlines on a lot of rivers that are great trout fisheries.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Steelhead definitely seem to steal the headlines on a lot of rivers that are great trout fisheries.
That's fer sure !! But.... if people choose to make a thousand casts to catch one steelhead instead of targeting the trout, that's okay with me.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
That's fer sure !! But.... if people choose to make a thousand casts to catch one steelhead instead of targeting the trout, that's okay with me.
I've caught many, many trout on the Deschutes, but have never taken a dedicated steelhead trip there. But last fall, I had to do a trip over there to take some footage for some videos for work. Spent all morning taking video of two guys Euro Nymphing. After I had what I needed, I set the camera down, grabbed my steelhead rod I brought "just in case," made two casts, and caught a steelhead. So I've caught a steelhead on 50% of the casts I've targeted them on that river.

Greg Armstrong

I've caught many, many trout on the Deschutes, but have never taken a dedicated steelhead trip there. But last fall, I had to do a trip over there to take some footage for some videos for work. Spent all morning taking video of two guys Euro Nymphing. After I had what I needed, I set the camera down, grabbed my steelhead rod I brought "just in case," made two casts, and caught a steelhead. So I've caught a steelhead on 50% of the casts I've targeted them on that river.
That’s a good average. It’s probably a pretty good time to stop :p

IveofIone

The Klickitat is another steelhead stream that has a wonderful trout fishery. I have had some magical days there and took a friend once that said it was the best day of trout fishing in his life. Trout have to eat even in colored up water and feed they do. The Klickitat taught me that I ALWAYS have to have my name and phone number on all of my fly boxes. You should too.

Evan Burck

Fudge Dragon
The Klickitat is another steelhead stream that has a wonderful trout fishery. I have had some magical days there and took a friend once that said it was the best day of trout fishing in his life. Trout have to eat even in colored up water and feed they do. The Klickitat taught me that I ALWAYS have to have my name and phone number on all of my fly boxes. You should too.
When was the last time you were there for trout? I also experienced a great Klickitat trout fishery, but it seemed that all ended around 2010-ish. I haven't been there in 3yrs now, but I don't think I caught a single trout when I was fishing there a lot in 2014-2016.

Latest posts