GLoomis IMX 5wt 8.5’ two piece- the old one

Tim Ihle

I fished a friends older (15 yo) IMX and really liked it...more than my Asquith actually. Does anyone have any experience with this rod?

Cheers

Rock Creek Fan

I love older Loomis rods. My preference are the IM6 rods for everyday fishing.

I have the 9' 5# IMX for windier days and the 10' 5# IMX rod for float tubing. The IMX rod is a great, light weight and sensitive rod with a moderately fast action. Lots of backbone when a larger fish is encountered.

As you probably know Gary Loomis started the whole fast action craze. Loomis was at the fore-front of rods being built back then. He knew how to build rods meant for fishing. He built rods for many companies including Winston. IMHO if you like the IMX rod you will be hard pressed to find a better rod for as little money they are commanding nowadays ($150-$200).

Last edited:

Rock Creek Fan

eBay...

It took me a year to find a 9' 5# IM6 4 piece rod and worth every penny waiting for what I wanted... IMX are newer and should not take as long (hopefully)... If a 9' 5# came up I would not pass it up IMHO...

Good luck!

Last edited:

Old Man

Just an Old Man
I have a GLoomis GL3 9'5wt. It was the rod one or two steps down from the rod you are looking for. I've had this rod for about 40 years. While it's been replaced a few times from getting broken by my stupidity. It's a two piece rod but I wouldn't part with it for no amount of money. One of the best rods I ever owned.

Tim Ihle

eBay...

It took me a year to find a 9' 5# IM6 4 piece rod and worth every penny waiting for what I wanted... IMX are newer and should not take as long (hopefully)... If a 9' 5# came up I would not pass it up IMHO...

Good luck!
Well I have a 9’5 wt in the Asquith but I really like the 8.5’. By comparison the Asquith feels like a lifeless pig

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I have a GLoomis GL3 9'5wt. It was the rod one or two steps down from the rod you are looking for. I've had this rod for about 40 years. While it's been replaced a few times from getting broken by my stupidity. It's a two piece rod but I wouldn't part with it for no amount of money. One of the best rods I ever owned.
Jim,
The GL3 models were introduced in 1993 (same year as the GLX classics) and GLoomis was founded in 1982.
If you’ve had a GL3 for nearly 40 years, hold on to it because that thing is gold..... ;)

I’ve owned several. Excellent rods for the money
SF

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Jim,
The GL3 models were introduced in 1993 (same year as the GLX classics) and GLoomis was founded in 1982.
If you’ve had a GL3 for nearly 40 years, hold on to it because that thing is gold..... ;)

I’ve owned several. Excellent rods for the money
SF
I'm not to sure I've had it 40 years. But it seems like it. I've been doing this type of fly fishing for a long damn time. I have it paired up with a Adventure reel. They are now called Venture reels. I must of got these things when they first came out. I paid $210.00 bucks for it at Outdoor Emporium. $50 bucks each time I had to replace it. Most I ever paid for a rod

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
I'm not to sure I've had it 40 years. But it seems like it. I've been doing this type of fly fishing for a long damn time. I have it paired up with a Adventure reel. They are now called Venture reels. I must of got these things when they first came out. I paid $210.00 bucks for it at Outdoor Emporium. $50 bucks each time I had to replace it. Most I ever paid for a rod
You probably did as they were $220 in 1995 Loomis catalog.
SF

Rock Creek Fan

Well I have a 9’5 wt in the Asquith but I really like the 8.5’. By comparison the Asquith feels like a lifeless pig
Just a point of clarification in case I was misunderstood. I was suggesting to not pass up an IMX 9' 5# rod if you find one before your real goal of an IMX 9' 8.5# rod. I would never recommend keeping a lifeless pig...

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
I still have the G Loomis IMX Signature Series (with the gold script) 9' 2 piece 6 weight from around 1991 / 1992. Nice rod.

Latest posts