Maxcatch fly reels. Any reviews ????

jim52

Hello. I bought a couple of the maxcatch timely reels. 65.00. A 5/6. And a 7/8
The reels caught my eye. Had to try them
The 7/8 had withstood a season in the salt. Unbelievable.. although not used a ton did have some long days. And held up great
QUESTION. Has anyone tried their new sprint salt water reel ?? For 160 it really looks I in credible ??
I use to ignore the Chinese reels. Being a ross person. But. We buy orvis ,Redington and sage reels made in China. For hundreds of dollars.

The T.O. Show

Buenos Hatches Ese
Lots of quality fly fishing gear is made in Asia, but the difference is that the folks at Orvis, Redington, Sage, etc. actually fish and develop their own products. Companies like Maxcatch just cheaply reproduce other brands rods/reels/etc. Nearly everything they make is a replica of another existing product. I don't support them for that reason and wouldn't recommend that anyone else does either. The fly fishing industry isn't that big, relatively speaking. We should support the companies that actually invest in the R&D on these products and are involved in the fishing community beyond selling cheap counterfeit gear.

wollybugger

deny self.
Best thing you could do is get a Lamson Liquid for $99 and it will last you years. It’s not super super cheap but incredible quality that’s going to last you. I agree with the statement above, the industry is to small to try and save a couple dollars and get China made stuff from random little companies. I’m scared it’s already way in that direction and the good companies are feeling it.

Justin Waters

I am not against using products made over seas, as these are quality products typically. To argue quality, just look at Patagonia's line, almost entirely made in Vietnam. However, to parrot The T.O. Show, be sure to support companies who invest in the R&D and not to support companies who are stealing from hardworking folks. I will argue Sage makes one of the greatest reels ever in the Spectrum Max in Korea (Only their reels, all rods are still 100% made in Washington State).

You can drive (or ferry) over to Bainbridge Island and ask the guys who designed these reels how it was done. You can go to Bainbridge and ask Paul Schmierer in R&D the difference between the Spectrum or the Spectrum Max. I am sure you could even ask questions about the factory in Korea that makes the reels. Companies like SAGE have high standards for their overseas factories to ensure fair and quality work environments. The factories that are not investing in their employees are typically the ones that you have knock off brands like MAX CATCH. You could go take a tour and see the SAGE blanks get rolled and the thread wraps get spun on rods right here in Kitsap County WA.

Hardy is known for quality and tradition, they are made in England and Korea.

I am SUPER bias, but I think ONE of the coolest things about fly fishing is that the companies are small, the industry is small, and you can actually get to know the people involved in designing the gear you are using. From the flies you are fishing, the waders you are wearing, the rods/reels/ and lines you are throwing. It's not hard to support actual families and see where your money is going. If I purchase a Sage rod, I know my money is staying in Washington, paying my neighbors in Kitsap and King Counties. If I purchase a RIO line, I know my money is going entirely to Washington and Idaho families... That is a super rad thing about fly fishing.

If you purchase a Max Catch TORO reel... That money is supporting a thief, who robbed a Galvin design (made in California) , funneling his product through amazon or ebay to get around using a local fly shop. Not to mention risking quality and warranty issues...

All of that being said... You will save $75.01 when compared to a reputable local company like Redington's Behemoth Reel. Not to mention the Behemoth will stop a mac truck and is pretty much invincible... Also designed on Bainbridge Island and employ's a TON of rad folks.

olypenjeeper

i have a few maxcatch items. I really like their glass rods, and have two toro reels. Never thought about the remarks being made here about R&D aspect. I definitely learned something new.

Buzzy

I am not against using products made over seas, as these are quality products typically. To argue quality, just look at Patagonia's line, almost entirely made in Vietnam. However, to parrot The T.O. Show, be sure to support companies who invest in the R&D and not to support companies who are stealing from hardworking folks. I will argue Sage makes one of the greatest reels ever in the Spectrum Max in Korea (Only their reels, all rods are still 100% made in Washington State).

You can drive (or ferry) over to Bainbridge Island and ask the guys who designed these reels how it was done. You can go to Bainbridge and ask Paul Schmierer in R&D the difference between the Spectrum or the Spectrum Max. I am sure you could even ask questions about the factory in Korea that makes the reels. Companies like SAGE have high standards for their overseas factories to ensure fair and quality work environments. The factories that are not investing in their employees are typically the ones that you have knock off brands like MAX CATCH. You could go take a tour and see the SAGE blanks get rolled and the thread wraps get spun on rods right here in Kitsap County WA.

Hardy is known for quality and tradition, they are made in England and Korea.

I am SUPER bias, but I think ONE of the coolest things about fly fishing is that the companies are small, the industry is small, and you can actually get to know the people involved in designing the gear you are using. From the flies you are fishing, the waders you are wearing, the rods/reels/ and lines you are throwing. It's not hard to support actual families and see where your money is going. If I purchase a Sage rod, I know my money is staying in Washington, paying my neighbors in Kitsap and King Counties. If I purchase a RIO line, I know my money is going entirely to Washington and Idaho families... That is a super rad thing about fly fishing.

If you purchase a Max Catch TORO reel... That money is supporting a thief, who robbed a Galvin design (made in California) , funneling his product through amazon or ebay to get around using a local fly shop. Not to mention risking quality and warranty issues...

All of that being said... You will save $75.01 when compared to a reputable local company like Redington's Behemoth Reel. Not to mention the Behemoth will stop a mac truck and is pretty much invincible... Also designed on Bainbridge Island and employ's a TON of rad folks.
Justin - thanks for sharing your insights into equipment manufacturing and sales. I understood the Sage connection but hadn't really ever thought much about discount equipment and how it comes to pass. Very interesting.

Pat