NFR Empty Nest - Only off to College

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Wow,

Yesterday my wife and I left our only son in his new to him dorm room at Walla Walla University. So excited for him, but man the big house feels lonely with out him. Especially his room. I do not hear the late night screams of triumph or defeat when is is gaming with his friends.

Anyone else missing a grown up kid this time of year?

Pic of him is when he was 3 or 4. Dad hooked a small fish while on the Yak and gave him the rod. That life jacket had a big loop on the back that made picking him up easy.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rock Creek Fan

Remember kids come back home after college (average age of finally leaving the nest is now 27). The quiet time should be relished in the mean time. During this time rebuilding/strengthening your relationship with your spouse is a good thing. Life has been all/mostly about raising your kids and the new focus will be learning that there is life beyond kids until grand kids come on the scene.

My oldest just graduated with a cellular and molecular biology degree and has come back home. My youngest is entering her sophomore year. There are a number of years where we will be reminded of our kids - funding college. That will not be missed...

Driftless Dan

Yeah, my kids are "in the process" of leaving the nest. As RCF said, it sometimes takes some time...I have a son who is a senior (but will require a semester extra) and a daughter who is a sophomore. The difference in the two during the past couple years is astounding. My daughter is still a "teenage girl," but my son, just two years older, is an adult in most senses of the word. I like dealing with the adult better than the teenager.

But overall, I'd say I miss them, but I don't miss them being at home, LOL.

And I have told my wife that the day I cut the final tuition check is the day I turn in my 2-weeks' notice to retire.

Northern

It's all good.
Yep - just dropped my youngest off at Cal Poly on Sat and came home to the house and two deserted bedrooms. My older daughter is at college nearby, so I see her pretty often...but man, it's gonna be weird not to have my baby home! Just the hubby and me now.
Guess I'll have to go fishing more. :(:)

My oldest grandson turns 18 in two weeks. He’s not ready for the traditional college path but just got a full ride to “cowboy college”; working for one of the top show cattle breeders in the country. By full ride I mean housing, meals and a truck along with a salary. Housing is a shared two bedroom apartment with a 22 year old roommate and a liquor store on the ground floor below so we’ll see how that works out.
Kid has been showing and breeding cattle since he was eight and would like to be a veterinarian but I think this’ll work out by giving him a couple years to mature and decide what he really wants to do.
However things turn out, I told him the secret to a full and rich life is to do what you really want and find a way to make it pay, so hopefully it’ll work for him. Downside is he’s 1700 miles away and I’m going to really miss my fishing buddy.
0C5E278C-BD92-4F42-807F-711645F5BE81.jpeg

Yep - just dropped my youngest off at Cal Poly on Sat and came home to the house and two deserted bedrooms. My older daughter is at college nearby, so I see her pretty often...but man, it's gonna be weird not to have my baby home! Just the hubby and me now.
Guess I'll have to go fishing more. :(:)
Great school, the younger grandson is hoping to go there

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Never fear at some point in time they will show up and want to stay at home because it is easier on them. The answer is that they want to save some money to get ahead before they go out in the big wide world. And then they just stay and try to run the household. I'm old and so is the wife. But the kids just won't leave the nest. If it was up to me they all would be gone. I don't need these leeches here any more.

dp

~El Pescador
got a daughter on her 3rd of college. son moved out last year as well. am now used to the new environment. our dog is now spoiled rotten. gives my wife and I some more time together where we talke about the kids more.
Note: make a habit of checking in with your kids. although the phone call may be annoying to them at the time, it is priceless. nothing better than getting a call or a text from them saying they were thinking of us and wanted us to know. At some point it changes from being the parent to being friends.
I really like the call when they say thank you for some life lesson they learned from us and are experiencing it for the first time.

Bentley

Never fear at some point in time they will show up and want to stay at home because it is easier on them. The answer is that they want to save some money to get ahead before they go out in the big wide world. And then they just stay and try to run the household. I'm old and so is the wife. But the kids just won't leave the nest. If it was up to me they all would be gone. I don't need these leeches here any more.
Both mine were boys. Mortgaged my house three time to get them a good education. They did come back like a boomerang as you said. But, then they did leave the nest as responsible adults. Glad they did not have to go to war, but in my opinion, it is a different kind of world today. Not easy even when you work hard.

Scott Salzer

previously micro brew
What I really missed was the activity generated by friends coming and going, the phone calls, etc. When the last one left, deathly quite, and we missed their friends. Fortunately, they were a tight knit group and now have kids of their own so we have our own grand kids, and the "adoptees". Makes the lake weekend so much better.....

triploidjunkie

It is up to you, or should be. Time to let the sack drop, old man!

triploidjunkie

What I really missed was the activity generated by friends coming and going, the phone calls, etc. When the last one left, deathly quite, and we missed their friends. Fortunately, they were a tight knit group and now have kids of their own so we have our own grand kids, and the "adoptees". Makes the lake weekend so much better.....
That's what my Dad said when I moved out. It wasn't that he liked my friends more (though that is a possibility). He just loved the commotion a household of teenagers brings. He never knew when he woke up on a Saturday morning whether he was making breakfast for just me and him, or half a dozen teens that crashed over.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Very True.

Latest posts