Loop to Loop Question

I am new to fly fishing and the leaders I bought did not come with a loop, is a perfection loop the best way to add one myself? I also have nothing to compare it to so approximately how long do I want the loop to be?

Dustin Bise

Hot-spotting Sheriff.
i prefer to do a 6 turn clinch not directly onto the fly loop instead of a loop to loop connection. i still use loop to loop for things like sink tips and poly leaders

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
What about a nail knot? Which one is better to use? I was going to change my leader yesterday and realized my leader was knotless. I do not know how to tie on a nail knot. I had Anil from Puget Sound Fly Shop do it for me last time.

Jiminsandiego

I have learned a few knots in my day. That being said once I spent the five bucks on "leader links" I've never looked back. I also use leader rings, which I find very useful. Fly line to tapered leader using the (genuine) "leader link" tied to a leader ring...tippet tied to same ring. This is the "cleanest" easiest way I have found. Mostly all I ever do is change my tippet tied to the leader ring.

jamma

What about a nail knot? Which one is better to use? I was going to change my leader yesterday and realized my leader was knotless. I do not know how to tie on a nail knot. I had Anil from Puget Sound Fly Shop do it for me last time.
Nail knots were the go-to knots for leader-to-fly lines before someone came up with loops. There are nail knot tools that make it a fairly easy task to accomplish. Their only downside is that they don't come straight off the line and could get hung up in the guides, but then loops have the same issue sometimes. It's always a good idea to have one of these tools in the field should a flyline loop fail. The slickest method I ever saw was Dave Whitlock's method where he used a needle to pierce the center of the fly line for about one inch, then threaded to leader through the hole and super glued it in place. He claimed that he never had this type of connection fail.

BTW, I noticed you changed your byline. The Sally Hepworth quote is pretty cool. :cool:

Steve Kokita

FISHON206
I agree with jamma, the needle knot is by far the cleanest connection. I use this on lines I do at home, but have used the speed nail knot on the water if I need to replace the entire leader. Only three turns, less bulk and no tool necessary.image.jpg

Nooksack Mac

The perfection loop knot is easy to learn, and has the advantage of coming out on the same plane; the perfection/overhand loop knots cock off to the side. It's not the strongest loop knot, but tied in the thick butt section, that doesn't matter. It's a lot stronger than the tippet.

Krusty

Nail knots were the go-to knots for leader-to-fly lines before someone came up with loops. There are nail knot tools that make it a fairly easy task to accomplish. Their only downside is that they don't come straight off the line and could get hung up in the guides, but then loops have the same issue sometimes. It's always a good idea to have one of these tools in the field should a flyline loop fail. The slickest method I ever saw was Dave Whitlock's method where he used a needle to pierce the center of the fly line for about one inch, then threaded to leader through the hole and super glued it in place. He claimed that he never had this type of connection fail.

BTW, I noticed you changed your byline. The Sally Hepworth quote is pretty cool. :cool:
I'm quite sure you know the way to minimize the potential for the nail knot/guide issue is to coat the nail knot with a small bead of UV activated cement (such as Loon Knot Sense), which even more reinforces the continuous transition of flyline energy through the leader. You don't need to buy a UV flashlight...a bit of exposure to the sun will do the same thing. In olden days we used Pliobond, which took overnight to cure...as compared to UV cement, which cures instantly upon exposure to UV. Dentists use a similar technology to instantly bond crowns.

As for the nail knot itself, there are dozens of nail knot tools to facilitate its use (most have youtube demos).
The nail knot tool I like best is Dr. Slick's, which also includes a nipper and small hook sharpening surface....but once you understand how to tie one a simple finish nail, or streamside twig, will suffice.

With a properly executed (pulled tight enough to compress the flyline) nail knot the extending nub of the flyline can be nipped off right up to the knot. In many decades of flyfishing I've never had a nailknot come off a flyline tip...the tippets or tippet to hook knot will fail first.

In addition, using a tippet ring allows easy modification/replacement of tippet length, and will greatly improve the longevity of the leader butt section.

As for loop to loop....while it works, I think it's an ungainly contraption to have in the middle of what would otherwise be an elegant flyfishing line/leader combination.

Last edited:

tsuribaka

I like the perfection loop simply because it allows you to easily and quickly change your leader. Being able to quickly change a leader is a nice advantage to have when you’re testing water depths.

Until I know for sure what I want from a leader and have a better understanding of the brands and lengths I prefer to use loop to loop as it leaves me with the most options for change. Thanks for all the recommendations.

Latest posts