Bear attacks near Bozeman

Jamie Dow

I know some folks from here were talking about hunting in Montana, so thought I would post this.

BOZEMAN — Three hunters were injured in two separate grizzly bear attacks in the same area of southwestern Montana less than 12 hours apart, wildlife officials said.
Investigators were trying Tuesday to determine if the same bear was involved in the surprise encounters in the Gravelly Mountains, an area frequented by grizzlies about 70 miles (113 kilometers) southwest of Bozeman, said Fish, Wildlife and Parks spokesman Morgan Jacobsen

These were apparently not following a downed animal, just surprise attacks,

Speyrod GB

The USFS closed a few trailheads in the Gravelly's a week or so ago. Apparently some cattle died from eating some type of plant. The rotting carcasses had attracted numerous grizzly's to the area.

dld

I wouldn't exactly call that 'close to Bozeman'. It's nearly two hours outside of Bozeman.

This is a bear near Bozeman:

BTW, that was known as 'long hall', and the bear is right next to the locker I had when I was a sophomore.

GAT

Dumbfounded
The interesting part of the article is that the reporter recommends that you never hunt alone but as I read it, in both cases it was two guys hunting together that were attacked!

I once heard that a grizzly isn't that concerned about two people and it takes at least three to make them leery... obviously it is best to hunt in a gang of 10, just to ward off the grizzly bears.

Speyrod GB

Au contraraire. In Montana, that 2hrs is 116 miles. Yesterday at 9:30, 2hrs on I-5 southbound yielded less than 20 miles.
My calculations, based on a speed of 70 mph, would be 140 miles, 75 mph would be 150 miles, and 80 mph would be 160 miles. Your I-5 calculation sounds about right. ;)

Jim Darden

you guys haven't driven it lately, there is a lot of 45 mph construction on that route.....raise the top speed to 120, should be about right.....

dld

My calculations, based on a speed of 70 mph, would be 140 miles, 75 mph would be 150 miles, and 80 mph would be 160 miles. Your I-5 calculation sounds about right. ;)
Going by Google when I looked it up. Usually a pretty good indicator.

dld

In over 25yrs living in Bozeman, never actually got to Dillon.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Those idiot reporters that wrote it up said it was in Yellowstone. The Gravelly mountains don't run into Yellowstone. I guess if it's within 300 miles of a populated area it's close.

Latest posts