Bear attacks near Bozeman

Wyobee

They used to move grizzly bears that entroched into areas frequented by humans on a pretty regular basis using PCP as a tranquilizer, they noticed some of those moved bears actually started seeking people out even attached tents and tore into cabins, anyways they stopped using PCP I think...

Rob Allen

You should grab a mask, head to a local river and do some real fishing.

i'm just telling the one and only truth. The only reason there isn't a grizzly bear season now is because certain political groups are opposing what the biologists are saying.. it's a political issue now not a biological one.
the political groups opposing grizzly hunting near yellowstone??

Blood on their hands, kinda like the mayor of Amity. only real.

Nick Metzman

i'm just telling the one and only truth. The only reason there isn't a grizzly bear season now is because certain political groups are opposing what the biologists are saying.. it's a political issue now not a biological one.

I've never hunted in my life but understand the issue primitively. Controlling the population of predators, thereby mitigating risk to us two legged creatures, as well as maintaining balance in the ecosystem makes sense on some level. The historic population of grizzlies dwarfs current populations. The population probably wouldn't need to be controlled if we weren't perpetually encroaching on their dwindling habitat, shrinking it further and further. However, I guess growing population and growing civilization is just a reality and we have to act accordingly. Eventually,at this rate, we'll have to exterminate predators like grizzlies because they will have no habitat and we won't want them roaming our cities.

Rob Allen

I've never hunted in my life but understand the issue primitively. Controlling the population of predators, thereby mitigating risk to us two legged creatures, as well as maintaining balance in the ecosystem makes sense on some level. The historic population of grizzlies dwarfs current populations. The population probably wouldn't need to be controlled if we weren't perpetually encroaching on their dwindling habitat, shrinking it further and further. However, I guess growing population and growing civilization is just a reality and we have to act accordingly. Eventually,at this rate, we'll have to exterminate predators like grizzlies because they will have no habitat and we won't want them roaming our cities.

that's very accurate . right now Grizzlies have met all their biological goals for recovery in the greater Yellowstone area. Right now Grizzlies have no fear of human beings. They actually follow hunters and come running at the sounds of a bow hunters bugle calls or the shot of a rifle.
the bears fault? nope they are just being bears. However the population is recovered and can sustain some harvest, there is a demand for grizzly hunting opportunity and it provides the opportunity to increase public safety.

I am not sure I hunt. I just walk around in the woods teaching deer and elk not to be afraid the people with rifles..

Wyobee

Montana used to have an archery season for grizzly, always thought that was a very sporting endeavor, bear vs. psychopath who do you root for?

Salmo_g

WFF Supporter
that's very accurate . right now Grizzlies have met all their biological goals for recovery in the greater Yellowstone area. Right now Grizzlies have no fear of human beings. They actually follow hunters and come running at the sounds of a bow hunters bugle calls or the shot of a rifle.
the bears fault? nope they are just being bears. However the population is recovered and can sustain some harvest, there is a demand for grizzly hunting opportunity and it provides the opportunity to increase public safety.

I am not sure I hunt. I just walk around in the woods teaching deer and elk not to be afraid the people with rifles..
Your last paragraph made me chuckle. Thanks.

I haven't followed grizzly issues that closely, but I agree that if the biological and ecological parameters for ESA de-listing have been met, then they should be. There is something to be said for the element of hunting pressure. I've done week-long float trips on Alaskan rivers on or near Native land where they shoot at bears. I camped on creek islands and literally in the middle of stream-side bear trails with no trees tall enough the hang food bags from, and the bears always kept to themselves. They don't seem to trust humans.

Old Man

A very Old Man
WFF Supporter
I was fishing the Ruby up high several years ago. I heard a noise in the bushes. I stopped what I was doing and I heard a noise that sounded like woof woof. I gathered myself up and left the area. Up there that river has quite a few willows and brush in tight on the river.

I don't think that I have been back in that area since then

jasmillo

WFF Supporter

I agree, it’s become a political issue at this point.

I just find it funny that many (not all) that would advocate for hunting grizzlies at this population level due to their perceived “danger” to humans or their economic impacts, are the same folks who are advocating not wearing a mask while congregating indoors in public places because it impedes on their freedoms:). Coronavirus has killed 100k in this country in 4 months. Grizzlies will get there by the year 250,220 or so.

I just think folks risk assessment skills need an adjustment.

Or they need to just be real about their motive. Grizzlies are not the threat most who know little about them espouse them to be. I am getting to old to banter back and forth about this on the internet citing the 30,000 other things likely to kill you while recreating in the woods before a grizzly will. Fact is, some folks would just find it enjoyable to hunt one for whatever reason. Simple as that.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
WFF Supporter
Black bears heavily concentrated in the zig zag river area. Bearware!!!!
Ahhhh. Because of Covid ....Now I don’t feel so bad about deciding to cancel fishing there in late summer with our friend who is from Oregon.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout
Hell, now we have too many coastal Wolverines. How soon until the call to cull them (well, that one), right Rob?

Grizzly lives matter. Survival of the fittest.

Even Brad Pitt got eaten by a Grizzly in "River Runs Through It II" to finally stop that franchise before it became a Star Wars 4,5,6..then 1,2,3..then a 7,8 9!?!?

Wait, that was another Montana movie Pitt was in that made Cabela's stock rise.. Bear Mace #1 seller that quarter. Didn't we learn from Timothy Treadwell bears are just fuzzy pets?

Rob, you are just bloodthirsty, plain and simple. Hunters in the Olympic Nat Park was the lowest of the low.

Last edited:

JACKspASS

I was fishing the Ruby up high several years ago. I heard a noise in the bushes. I stopped what I was doing and I heard a noise that sounded like woof woof. I gathered myself up and left the area. Up there that river has quite a few willows and brush in tight on the river.

I don't think that I have been back in that area since then
Bigfoot

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts