Buying Fly Line

Coach529

I am putting together a new rod and reel since my 7 year old wants to start fly fishing with me.

After spending some time at the local fly shop I have decided on a Echo Carbon XL (9', 5wt) rod and a Piscifun Sword Reel.

The last piece of the puzzle is fly line. How do you pick a good fly line?

Thanks in advance.

Buzzy

What did your fly shop suggest to mate with the rod? There's tons of discussion on fly lines all available to you in the search function. You will find a lot of negativity towards Rio lines; most complaints seem to be they don't last long. Longevity, theoretically, can be doubled by stringing a DT instead of a WF. Sort of partial to Airflo for WF's and Cortland lines have fit my needs quite well.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Has your Son tried your rod? That may help determine which type of line he can handle ok. I'm guessing you use a weight forward line. When I was around that age, I started with a double taper line, but those were the norm back then and I primarily fished small streams & rivers. The reviews I read about the XL strongly suggest that it does well with 5 weight lines, but I have never used one. As for lines, there are many. While I once used Rio lines exclusively & still have a few, of late I have been replacing lines/buying lines for new reels with Airflo products. Good luck with your quest and most of all, congrats to you & your Son - my Kids tried fly fishing but didn't like it (although my Son has developed a renewed interest of late & I have set him up with a couple different rods/reel/line types. He has been practicing at every opportunity so maybe I'll have a great fishing partner next year!).

Coach529

I bought a budget friendly Adamsbuilt combo kit that I have been using. I will pass that along to my son Colton and be building this new rod for myself.

tackleman

I hope the rod you're passing along isn't 9' long. It's too long for a child that age to handle with some pleasure and good results. Check out a 'Gecko' outfit from Echo for your son's first rod.

skyrise

I will not buy RIO lines. Cursing my OB short this week. Wish I would have bought an airflow. Do like SA, Cortland, Airflo.

I recently did the same thing for my 8 year old daughter. I went cheap on the fly line though and put a Cabelas one on. Terrible idea, there's tons of memory in it and after a couple of outings the front 6ft of line will not float.

IHFISH

I picked up a Echo Carbon XL 376-4 a few months ago and paired it with a WF3F Scientific Anglers Mastery MPX and have been very happy with the combo. My 11-year old son played around with it a little bit this summer and seemed to enjoy it.

Mark Mercer

Where and what you will be fishing for will also make a difference in what line you should choose. Have you already purchased the rod ? I also agree that a 9' rod is probably a little long for a seven year old unless he's really tall. I'd start with 8' or 8 1/2' 4wt for him or even 7 1/2' or 8' fiberglass.

Jake

(not really a sea otter)
I’d go with a simple weight forward floater, with a moderate shooting head. Easy to load, easy to mend, easy to roll cast.

I’d also avoid Rio because you’ll want a durable line, and in my experience no current line by Rio qualifies.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
I was pretty damn short when I started & I used an 8'6" bamboo rod with no major problems. I agree that a shorter rod would be ideal, but the extra length is a boon once he has his stroke dialed-in, so I wouldn't fret the length too much. As I recall, negotiating brush & tree limbs posed the only problem when I was a kid; I did break my share of tips.

Speyrod GB

I have 2 Echo Carbon XL's. I matched them with an Airflo floating lines that was the same weight as the rod, 4wt and 6wt. They cast great and match the rod very well, as long as I don't try to over power everything. It's been a bad habit for over 40 years. I really like the lines.

If I were to choose another line, it would be the Wulff 2-tone triangle taper line the same weight as the rod. I have a 5wt that I use on my RPL+and it works great. The Carbon XL is not quite as fast and the Airflo works fantastic on it. Just my .02.

Latest posts