Anything new bamboo??

Solitude

The first rod I did was an old bamboo 9 ft rod that came from my buddy's father. His father passed away a couple months back and he doesn't fish, so he gave me some not his dad's old fishing stuff, including this bamboo rod and an old pflueger medalist. The rod was rough and the reel was pitted and basically destroyed from years of fishing salt.

I cut the rod down to 8 feet and rebuilt it (again with lots of advice from Steve). It turned out pretty good and my buddy was really tickled about it, as was his mother, who was thrilled that her husband's fishing gear was still going to be used for years to come. I ended up buying another pflueger off Ebay and using some of the parts off the old reel, so the rod and reel still look like the original, except the rod looks way nicer now...lol.

First pic is original rod before work

Attachments

Fishgolfman55

I am so jealous! Scrapped a few more rods to prep for varnish/tru oil. Just ordered tru oil for use. A lot easier than varnishing. Ever try watco danish oil. Have some sitting around.

Steve Kokita

FISHON206
I used Watco alcohol stains for wood carvings, but that might work too. I C&R’d 3 nice rainbows sight casting midge emergers! But....broke the “wildest thing” at the ferrule casting. Another thing to fix....oh well. Nice day in the sun with minimal breeze.

Solitude

I got my lol creek rod out and did some casting with it. It's definitely a light little thing, but casts pretty well for a pieced together project rod. Hopefully it doesn't come apart on the first fish....lol

Steve Kokita

FISHON206
A good thing about bamboo is most breaks can be fixed. This isn’t the first one I broke at the male ferrule, looked like the bamboo was just old and weak. Lot of stress at this connection, stepped ferrules means more structural bamboo lost making the ferrule station. Looks like another scarf project....dang!

Last edited:

Solitude

This little rod is already 6-6...... wouldn't want to break and shorten it too much more or it'll be like fishing with a long bbq skewer.....lol

Steve Kokita

FISHON206
I just got out of the shop.....six scarf joints (3 sections) and one new stepped ferrule station. Glad that’s done, not my favorite thing to do....but necessary. Anyone else fiddling with bamboo?

flybill

Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!
WFF Supporter
I got a cool calendar for 2020 with some great boo pictures! I really want a new bamboo rod to add to the collection. No idea what specific one, just something in the 5wt range.

PezVela

Come on Pez....Lue and I have been flexing our bamboo all winter long in lakes!
Haaaa... you boys are just tough! Not so many lakes down south close to me worth fishing, and Battle Ground lake is hardly a wilderness experience. I will make up for it in the next couple months though! Even have a trip to the Baja on the Master Plan...

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts