Thoughts on a vise

Seapig

I'm thinking of giving up my Renzetti Traveler vise to my 12 year old, and looking for new vise suggestions. Being from New England, and having gone to UMaine Orono, I'm partial to an HMH- made in Maine. Can anyone provide a recommendation as to what would be a good vice for an intermediate tyer? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
I'm partial to my HMH Spartan (I tie exclusively with the Magnum Jaws...work VERY VERY well for the larger streamers I typically tie--I've been tying on mine for nearly 20 years), it's simple and does everything I need it to do VERY well! But I also know a bunch of people who swear by their Regals. I've tried one and didn't like it quite as much as my HMH (I didn't like it for the really big stuff that I tie, but it was great for smaller flies, IMO).

Cheers!

TomRC

I buy and sell vises like its going out of style. Just enjoy tinkering and playing with new "toys". Currently playing with a Renzetti Master which has been fun but thinking back to all the vises I've owned my favorites were probably the Regal (standard version....didn't care for the Regal Revolution) with the stainless Regal jaws. Much preferred the Regal w/ Stainless Jaws to the the HMH in terms of non true rotary vise and also loved the Dynaking Barracuda with midge jaws. The Dyna-King is just "stout" in its build, smooth rotary and the Dyna-King midge jaws do a good job on smaller hooks.

landlocked

I'm a huge fan of my Dyna-King going on 16 years now. Have two Regals that I like, and keep one in the travel case, but the Dyna-King is my daily driver for everything from steelhead flies down to tricos (with the midge jaws). I've sent it in once for service, after I abused it, came back in less than 2 weeks looking brand new. They even called me with a status update.

Jake

(not really a sea otter)
My wife uses two: A Regal rotary and a Regal non-rotary. She's pretty good.

When I find the patience to tie, it's usually when she is so I use the Regal non-rotary. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to tying flies, and it works just fine for me.

Nick Clayton

I'm like Tom, I go thru a lot of vises. I've tied on just about everything out there. My favorites are the Stonfo Transformer and the Dyna King Barracuda

Jim Darden

I'm thinking of giving up my Renzetti Traveler vise to my 12 year old, and looking for new vise suggestions. Being from New England, and having gone to UMaine Orono, I'm partial to an HMH- made in Maine. Can anyone provide a recommendation as to what would be a good vice for an intermediate tyer? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
I'm thinking you're making a mistake, are you dissatisfied with your vise?? I still use my Thompson model A though I like my Renzetti a little more. unless you are needing some special features, it is hard to beat what you have. You can change the post, jaws, clamp, or other features if you like.......

Latest posts