Thoughts on a vise

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Thanks for that. Now that I see the pic I think I've seen one before. Nice looking vise for sure

Those Stonfo jaws are legit

GaryS

I have this vise with both Stonto 1 and 2 jaws and a J vise. Stonfo are just as good as J vise but smaller.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I had a J Vise for a short spell, and perhaps it was just the one I got, I bought it used, but I wasnt super impressed with the jaws and the hook holding ability. It was a beautiful vise, and I really enjoyed all the room to the hook it provided, but wasnt really wowed and ended up getting rid of it.

It also just felt clunky to me in its rotation. Maybe clunky isn't the right word....but it was just kinda slow or something. Not sure how to explain it. Just wasnt a vise I could get super comfortable with and crank out a dozen of a pattern quickly.

The room around the hook though was second to none. I really really liked that a lot.

GaryS

Totally agree. My J vise is used by my visiting guests and students. I use my Mike Johnson which uses Stonfo jaws. It is basically a Stonfo elite but with better and hand made components, great jaws. It is the best vise I have used in 60 years of tying. I intend to sell the J vise and replace it with either another Mike Johnson or Stonfo.
I don’t crank flies out anymore. My classic streamers take 45 to 60 minutes to tie. So, you have a lot of time to stare at the vise, and I need something nice to stare at. I highly recommend Mike Johnson vises. Mike is a real nice gentleman and will do practically anything to accommodate your needs. He offers heavy stainless steel bases or the bamboo base that I prefer.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I don’t crank flies out anymore. My classic streamers take 45 to 60 minutes to tie. So, you have a lot of time to stare at the vise, and I need something nice to stare at.

Sums my thoughts up pretty well. Beautiful piece of craftsmanship and if I just tied casually it would make a lot more sense. However I tie a lot of flies and in that regard it wasnt for me. I like to be as efficient as possible, especially when I'm trying to crank a dozen of a hot pattern out late at night after a day on the water in prep for the next days trip.

I tied on a Stonfo Transformer for a couple years and really really liked the standard jaws. They held any hook I threw at it up to 8/0 no problem and I felt like it was probably the smoothest cam system I've ever used.

GaryS

When I was younger and cranked out fishing fly, there was non faster than a Regal. Now, I don’t fish nor crank them out. I like cool efficient pleasing to use stuff like hand made vises and tools.

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
That's because plenty of people don't need a fancy drag to fight an 8" fish, ya damn pussy.

You're always on me about the Tibor Riptide I use in the salt. All I can say is YOU try to land a 16" sea run cutthroat without a drag and then we can talk.

Jack Devlin

I had a J Vise for a short spell, and perhaps it was just the one I got, I bought it used, but I wasnt super impressed with the jaws and the hook holding ability. It was a beautiful vise, and I really enjoyed all the room to the hook it provided, but wasnt really wowed and ended up getting rid of it.

It also just felt clunky to me in its rotation. Maybe clunky isn't the right word....but it was just kinda slow or something. Not sure how to explain it. Just wasnt a vise I could get super comfortable with and crank out a dozen of a pattern quickly.

The room around the hook though was second to none. I really really liked that a lot.
The J Vice is a wonderful vise. You must gotten a bad one. Perhaps it didn’t have the good stainless steel jaws.
I presently have mine up for sale only because
I prefer my Regal vises which allow me to rest my hand on the vise. It helps my bad shoulder.
Jack

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock