Is this a cranefly?

Matt B

WFF Supporter
I have had success fishing with cranefly imitations this time of year. Cream or tan colored ones, in about a 12 or 10.

This insect had an unusual manner of flying—its front legs were held out in front, and aloft. With the contrasting black and white markings, the effect was pretty impressive for a little guy. 24078AC5-FC5C-4D22-8204-7B90E83D1992.jpeg

sportsman

The ones at my house are brown with thicker bodies. Any that invade the domicile are grabbed by the wing and deposited on spider webs outside. Filet mignon for arachnids.

Matt B

WFF Supporter
The ones at my house are brown with thicker bodies. Any that invade the domicile are grabbed by the wing and deposited on spider webs outside. Filet mignon for arachnids.
Yeah the normal tan ones at my house get to the size of hummingbirds. They’re so big they actually make a bit of a racket flying around and bashing into things.

Matt B

WFF Supporter
This was in Snoqualmie. Are there phantom crane fly species in the PNW other than occidentalis? My limited internet search showed that these Ptychopterids like wetlands. Alder stands were mentioned. All present where I saw this.

Thanks Roger and all!

Taxon

WFF Moderator
Hi Matt-

Fellow BugGuide Contributing Editor Brandon Woo says that the only Bittacomorpha species on the west coast is Bittacomorpha occidentalis, and I have no reason to disbelieve that.

Hexed

Riogrande,

Who you calling ignorant?

Yeah, mosquito hawk is what we called them in Arizona, but neither that name nor the fact they have no working mouths (as adults) dampened my wife's fear of them, so instead I insisted each and every one was "Arnie," which sounded harmless to her. Makes no sense but worked so well we passed the Arnie tradition down to our kids, who from early on took them in stride, unlike other bugs and spiders.

Cheers,

Seth

chrome/22

For him there whould always be the riddle of steel
Wait till early summer when the Holorusia_hespera show up. They have a body like a mini carrot & lift off slowly like an overloaded helicopter.

c/22

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts