Looking to start fly fishing!

JACKspASS

This forum and contributors will get you headed down the right path. I second the casting lessons. Everything starts with the proper cast, then rod, reel, lines, flies, etc, can come into play. When you get trout and warm water fish figured out, strap on your kevlar vest and helmet and head to the Steelhead Forum.....

Oh, and to perform great, you have to look like you know what yiu are doing so look up Swimmy.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Take lessons before trying to cast by yourself. It is a lot easier to learn the right way than trying to unlearn bad habits and then learn new/good habits... Some shops will provide rods to test cast with during lessons so that you can try them out before a purchase. Hopefully you do not pick the most expensive one ---> you do not need it to catch fish.

You could also contact @Anil @ Puget Sound Fly Co. They do have fishing classes and new as well as used rods for sale. One way to save money is buying a used rod...
Yes! Go visit @Anil at Puget Sound Fly Company in Tacoma. He's fantastic and a great help. I just bought a beautiful used Sage fly rod there last week. And be sure to watch that video i linked earlier!

Tubbster85

Mad River Outfitters has a good series on setting a fly rod up all the way to casting on YouTube. They just started another series on casting and it’s done really well.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Take lessons before trying to cast by yourself. It is a lot easier to learn the right way than trying to unlearn bad habits and then learn new/good habits... Some shops will provide rods to test cast with during lessons so that you can try them out before a purchase. Hopefully you do not pick the most expensive one ---> you do not need it to catch fish.

You could also contact @Anil @ Puget Sound Fly Co. They do have fishing classes and new as well as used rods for sale. One way to save money is buying a used rod...
Anil will steer you to fly fishing nirvana. He is my number one dealer of my addiction.

I also make it a point to seek out any fly shop near waters I want to fish. After learning your basic casts, the info you gain in a fly shop is invaluable. Always reward them with purchase of flies or gear. The few exrea dollars you spend with a real brick and mortar will be well worth the enhanced dollars spent.

In adition to Anil at Puget Sound Anglers , I have shops in Gig Harbor, W searrle, Lacey, Ellensburg and Ephrata that I visit at least yearly, but try to stop in to buy flies and Tippit when fishing in their area. We are very fortunate to have excellent fly shops all around d western and central washington

fisharmy

It's never the gear; it's all you.
First, welcome aboard.

Secondly, a warning: flyfishing is like crack---it's extremely addictive. There are some of us in this forum who would sell their house or their car or their dog if that's what it takes to just fish for a year non-stop.

Third, get a sub-$100 outfit from Cabela's (rod, reel and line), watch Orvis' old tapes on casting, sprinkle those old lessons with YouTube casting lessons from Lefty Kreh and Joan Wulff. They were the two most practical teachers on casting I've ever come across. Different techniques, same result. DO NOT BUY FANCY, PRICEY STUFF... at least not yet. You will eventually get there, anyway--- that stage of wanting a titanium pillared reel matched with a genuine T & T bamboo rod made from bamboos lovingly caressed by sterile pandas during full moons near Tonkin, China.

Lastly, find the closest Trout Unlimited or any flyfishing club near you. There are still a few around the SeaTac area, I'd assume. They usually do it for free or for a very minimal charge.

I am self-taught with VHS tapes and old casting books. Never had formal instructions. It took me a couple of years of trial and error to master some of the basics. You reaching out for help and advice on flyfishing is a better, more efficient approach.

Good luck.

Randall Clark

Huge Fly Guy
Everything that everyone else said!

I'll also add, swing by the Orvis in Bellevue and talk the folks there. Leland will set you in the right direction as well as the fishing manager there, Kelsey....super solid dude who won't steer you wrong. Hell, for $300 & change, you can be into a Clearwater full setup that you won't have to "upgrade" for quite some time.

KerryS

Ignored Member
Many here have already said this. Learn to cast. It all starts with the cast. Take some casting lessons first before anything else. During your casting lessons ask questions. Your casting instructor is probably knowledgeable on most aspects of fly fishing and should be able to start you off on a good path.

Zak

As mentioned in another thread, the book Curtis Creek Manifesto is a good, funny guide to the basics (and not so basics) of flyfishing. And a little casting instruction from a professional will go a long way. May your new hobby bring you a lifetime of contemplative recreation!

Steve Saville

By all means seek out a club. There are a few in the area. Puget Sound FlyFishers meets in Tacoma. That’s a bit of a haul from SeaTac, especially in the evening but it can be done if you take some less traveled routes. There are more than 100 members so you shouldn’t have too much trouble finding someone to mentor you or to fish with. Contact me if you are interested.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
What happened to the OP. He comes on here asks a question or two. Gets lots of advice and never comes back. So what's up with that.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
I wanted to say the same thing OMJ. Unless there is a good reason, it seems pretty rude to jump on here, ask for advice, get a lot of it plus a nice welcome and then never return. What was the point?

Chic Worthing

The OP only posted 3 days ago and he SHE just might have a life that is busy with other things being 24 years old. When SHE does return we should require a note from his mother or gf. :)

Gender correcting typo applied.

Last edited:

jangjes95

Wow! Thank you everyone for your very insightful responses! I will definitely take a look at those videos and fishing classes near me as well as all the recommended shops and instructors. I am excited to be more active on this site and learn even more. I definitely don't have a required note for my absence...didn't even take a hall pass, hope I'm not in trouble :D

I...don't know how to @ people on here (really bad millennial here), but in reponse to Jojo's first post, I am a woman! I know this hobby is probably not popular with women (none of my girlfriends want to try with me unfortunately), but I hope to meet other women on here too!

keekster4504

Welcome, @jangjes95! It's nice to see another woman on the forum <3 Emerald Water Anglers (in West Seattle) has a women's fly fishing group. I'd highly recommend checking out our facebook group (I recently starting helping out with the group). It's a great resource for meeting other women who are also looking for fishing buddies and for asking questions/getting advice in a very open and non-judgemental setting. We host fly tying nights (for all experience levels), guided trips specifically for women, and other events (rigging, knots, social gatherings). I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how many lady anglers there are out there--I definitely was when I first joined the group!

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions or want to get together to chat. I live in Seattle.

Latest posts