Looking to start fly fishing!

Rock Creek Fan

For @ sign use, just @jo with no space (using JoJo as a example) and a list will popup. Keep typing to make the list shorter... Select who you want... :)

KillerDave

Have camera, will travel...
Try joining a club. It's kinda like becoming a regular at the local watering hole; if you race in and hope everything happens the first night then nothing will, but if you can hang in there for a couple (potentially awkward) sessions then you're in.

Old Man

Just an Old Man
Wow! Thank you everyone for your very insightful responses! I will definitely take a look at those videos and fishing classes near me as well as all the recommended shops and instructors. I am excited to be more active on this site and learn even more. I definitely don't have a required note for my absence...didn't even take a hall pass, hope I'm not in trouble :D

I...don't know how to @ people on here (really bad millennial here), but in reponse to Jojo's first post, I am a woman! I know this hobby is probably not popular with women (none of my girlfriends want to try with me unfortunately), but I hope to meet other women on here too!
Nice to see another female on here. There are a few but they don't post as much as the guys do. Me, I'm an old man. And a grouch. Been here since the Forum was almost formed.
Over 20 years ago.

If you want to read back posts from 2002 just look at the Fly fishing forum page and below the header there are some numbers 1, 2, 3 A blank space and 1672. That is the gist of things. Pull that up and you will see all there is.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Wow! Thank you everyone for your very insightful responses! I will definitely take a look at those videos and fishing classes near me as well as all the recommended shops and instructors. I am excited to be more active on this site and learn even more. I definitely don't have a required note for my absence...didn't even take a hall pass, hope I'm not in trouble :D

I...don't know how to @ people on here (really bad millennial here), but in reponse to Jojo's first post, I am a woman! I know this hobby is probably not popular with women (none of my girlfriends want to try with me unfortunately), but I hope to meet other women on here too!
YAYAYAYAY!!!! Another woman! All right now don’t be going missing. There are only a few of us here. Very few.

In regards to our wondering: We often see newbies who jump on here ask a bunch of questions and never return. Or some just jump on here and post something they know will stir up folks’ ire just to sit back and laugh.

Last edited:

Chic Worthing

Jes, welcome to the madness that is fly fishing and welcome to these forums. There are a host of wonderful people here who only want you to succeed. It is truly an endeavor where you can be perfect and cast a line and see how how simple and graceful it can be without even getting a touch from a fish.

Northern

It's all good.
WFF Supporter
And a third pitch for the EWA Women's program! I've met a number of female fishing buddies through the FB group. I think there's over 800 members...so more of us than you think!

Bruce Baker

YAYAYAYAY!!!! Another woman! All right now don’t be going missing. There are only a few of us here. Very few.

In regards to our wondering: We often see newbies who jump on here ask a bunch of questions and never return. Or some just jump on here and post something they know will stir up folks’ ire just to sit back and laugh.
Even though it is a bit of a distance, invite her to our gathering?

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Even though it is a bit of a distance, invite her to our gathering?
She hasn’t been here for about a month though. Maybe she checks in as a guest and will return. Bruce i was thinking after the holidays would be a good time to meet when it gets really boring and less busy.

Bagman

Do you plan on fishing salt , still water, or creeks/rivers? For Salt you might want to pick up one or more of Richard Stoll's books. It's best if you under a little about your pray, it also at least for me makes it more enjoyable. Oh ya welcome to the forum.

Latest posts