Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Looking to start fly fishing!

3K views 44 replies 33 participants last post by  Bagman 
#1 ·
Hi, my name is Jes, and I am a young professional in the SeaTac area. I have recently really wanted to try fly fishing. I am absolutely down to do some research on my own, but would love to get a tutor or guide in the SeaTac area (although I'm also able to drive as far as Bellingham) and we can also discuss compensation if you're interested!

I've never fished and maybe this is all very ambitious of me, but I would be thankful for any guidance (in person or recommendations for videos or books).

Thank you in advance for any help!

#3 ·
Jes,

Use the search function and peruse this website and forum. You'll find more than you want to know about the fishing in this region and what you need to participate in it. Since you mention compensation, alternatively you could walk into the fly shop nearest you, plunk your VISA gold card on the counter, and announce that you want to buy your way to fly fishing success asap. They'll take care of you.

Sg

#4 ·
Jes,

The best advice I can offer is to hire a guide for the fishery you want to pursue. It will significantly cut down on the learning curve. For salt, for example, you might contact @Nick Clayton to learn to fish it from a boat, or Ben at Pacific Fly Fishers or Ryan Smith at Avid Angler for wading.

#5 ·
Jes, welcome!

I would second the Orvis How To Fly Fish videos. They are a great starting place and are free. You can blow through the basics pretty quickly. I would also encourage you to take some fly casting lessons at one of several SeaTac shops. Having someone with you in person to teach you casting is super helpful.

@Jake is right on with his advice on getting a guide and learning specific water. If you have a specific type of fish you want to target or a specific body of water, going out with a skilled guide for a time or two will give you a ton of information, practice, and speed up your learning process for starting out. Even for finding someone here on the forum, I would start with figuring out what you want to fish and what type of water first.

After that, just get out and fish as much as you can. Most of what you will learn will come from just getting out and trying things. Read as much as you can and don't be afraid to ask questions.

PS - If you are planning on targeting trout, I can't recommend The Little Red Book of Fly Fishing enough. It's a great, short book for beginners and advanced anglers alike!

#6 ·
#7 ·
Check with the Seattle Park Dept. for casting lessons at Green Lake in the spring. Lots of good books available at Powell's Books on line. You don't need expensive equipment to learn, a decent rod with a matching line and reel, waders or boots that don't leak, be a fair weather fly fisher then you won't need a $500 dollar rain coat. Like tennis skill development (controlling the line) is a must to enjoy the game, you're doing this for fun so don't make it into work.

#9 ·
Take lessons before trying to cast by yourself. It is a lot easier to learn the right way than trying to unlearn bad habits and then learn new/good habits... Some shops will provide rods to test cast with during lessons so that you can try them out before a purchase. Hopefully you do not pick the most expensive one ---> you do not need it to catch fish.

You could also contact @Anil @ Puget Sound Fly Co. They do have fishing classes and new as well as used rods for sale. One way to save money is buying a used rod...

#11 ·
Hi Jes. Welcome to the forum. Since you mentioned that you've never fished, a good starting point would be to understand what appeals to you and focus on the type of flyfishing that will give you what you're looking for. In the PNW, you are fortunate to have so many different fishing/flyfishing opportunities, from fishing small streams for trout, to the Sound for salmon and searun cutts (from the beaches or watercraft), to steelheading, to lakes for warm-, cool- or cold-water species, etc. It's best to figure out what you're most interested in and start there - you can always expand into other areas. Good luck - it's a ton of fun to learn and do!

#13 ·
Don't be like me and go out and buy a rod and reel and the rest of what you need without checking things out. I did it that way but that was back in 1957. I've improved in the last 60 years. I probably have a few quirks left, but that is what happens when you don't have a mentor to teach you what you are doing wrong. I would take what advice that is out there.

And be prepared to spend a lot of money down the road on more fly rods. Because owning just one fly rod is never enough. Some on here have upwards of 30 fly rod and reels, Loaded with a different lines for every type of fish or fishing. And then you need 5 different sizes of Tippet. Then you need about 100 flies to get these stupid fish to bite. And sometimes these things don't work. But you don't quit because somebody that fly fishes can always come up with a fly that works.

Then if you learn to enjoy this you will probably get into tying your own flies. It is joy when you catch a fish on a fly you tied up. So welcome to a good way to spend money. We all did it and have never been sorry for any of it.:):)

#14 ·
Welcome aboard mate.
I wish there had been videos when I wanted to learn fly fishing.
I have magazines like Field& Stream, Outdoor Life, etc.
So I learned the hard way, cause all my friends fished with worms, eggs, real bait.
If you can afford lessons take some. Learning to cast will make a big difference, if you hire a guide.
If I can fly fish, you can also

#15 ·
if you were closer i would give you my guaranteed 20 minute lesson and turn you into a casting demon. balancing rod weight, line and reel are crucial or you will have endless frustration. where to fish i won't even attempt to post anything of substance on that topic. all the best to you and your endless future of fun and frustration.

#16 ·
This forum and contributors will get you headed down the right path. I second the casting lessons. Everything starts with the proper cast, then rod, reel, lines, flies, etc, can come into play. When you get trout and warm water fish figured out, strap on your kevlar vest and helmet and head to the Steelhead Forum.....

Oh, and to perform great, you have to look like you know what yiu are doing so look up Swimmy.

#21 ·
First, welcome aboard.

Secondly, a warning: flyfishing is like crack---it's extremely addictive. There are some of us in this forum who would sell their house or their car or their dog if that's what it takes to just fish for a year non-stop.

Third, get a sub-$100 outfit from Cabela's (rod, reel and line), watch Orvis' old tapes on casting, sprinkle those old lessons with YouTube casting lessons from Lefty Kreh and Joan Wulff. They were the two most practical teachers on casting I've ever come across. Different techniques, same result. DO NOT BUY FANCY, PRICEY STUFF... at least not yet. You will eventually get there, anyway--- that stage of wanting a titanium pillared reel matched with a genuine T & T bamboo rod made from bamboos lovingly caressed by sterile pandas during full moons near Tonkin, China.

Lastly, find the closest Trout Unlimited or any flyfishing club near you. There are still a few around the SeaTac area, I'd assume. They usually do it for free or for a very minimal charge.

I am self-taught with VHS tapes and old casting books. Never had formal instructions. It took me a couple of years of trial and error to master some of the basics. You reaching out for help and advice on flyfishing is a better, more efficient approach.

Good luck.

#22 ·
Everything that everyone else said!

I'll also add, swing by the Orvis in Bellevue and talk the folks there. Leland will set you in the right direction as well as the fishing manager there, Kelsey....super solid dude who won't steer you wrong. Hell, for $300 & change, you can be into a Clearwater full setup that you won't have to "upgrade" for quite some time.

#23 ·
Many here have already said this. Learn to cast. It all starts with the cast. Take some casting lessons first before anything else. During your casting lessons ask questions. Your casting instructor is probably knowledgeable on most aspects of fly fishing and should be able to start you off on a good path.

#24 ·
As mentioned in another thread, the book Curtis Creek Manifesto is a good, funny guide to the basics (and not so basics) of flyfishing. And a little casting instruction from a professional will go a long way. May your new hobby bring you a lifetime of contemplative recreation!

#25 ·
By all means seek out a club. There are a few in the area. Puget Sound FlyFishers meets in Tacoma. That’s a bit of a haul from SeaTac, especially in the evening but it can be done if you take some less traveled routes. There are more than 100 members so you shouldn’t have too much trouble finding someone to mentor you or to fish with. Contact me if you are interested.

#27 ·
I wanted to say the same thing OMJ. Unless there is a good reason, it seems pretty rude to jump on here, ask for advice, get a lot of it plus a nice welcome and then never return. What was the point?

#29 ·
Wow! Thank you everyone for your very insightful responses! I will definitely take a look at those videos and fishing classes near me as well as all the recommended shops and instructors. I am excited to be more active on this site and learn even more. I definitely don't have a required note for my absence...didn't even take a hall pass, hope I'm not in trouble :D

I...don't know how to @ people on here (really bad millennial here), but in reponse to Jojo's first post, I am a woman! I know this hobby is probably not popular with women (none of my girlfriends want to try with me unfortunately), but I hope to meet other women on here too!

#33 ·
Nice to see another female on here. There are a few but they don't post as much as the guys do. Me, I'm an old man. And a grouch. Been here since the Forum was almost formed.
Over 20 years ago.

If you want to read back posts from 2002 just look at the Fly fishing forum page and below the header there are some numbers 1, 2, 3 A blank space and 1672. That is the gist of things. Pull that up and you will see all there is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.