Request Advice where to Bass Fly Fish/Camp This Weekend

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
Does anyone have tips on where to Bass Fish Near Moses Lake? I will have my dog, tent, work van and possibly drift boat if needed.

I will be taking lunch to a handicapped relative in Moses Lake on Sunday. Then leaving for Nuya Creek further east to set up camp Sunday night so dog and i can fish Nuya Creek Mon - Fri, the only time there is not deer hunting in Sept and Oct. So that leaves Friday, Sat and Sun morning for possible lake fishing for Bass or Trout.

Options I have considered.

1. Stay at Moses Lake city campground on Moses Lake. I called them a few weeks ago and they said the lake was closed to all recreation due to an aglae bloom. They were not sure they would keep campground open into October. Even if campground is open and lake is open, i am not sure if fishing will be terrible due to algae bloom.

2. Stay at Blue Lake Campground on Blue Lake near Park lake. But Blue Lake closed yesterday to fishing

3. Stay at Sun Lakes State Park and fish Dry Falls for trout. I used to fish that lake over 10 years ago on float tube. Does anyone know if it is possible to launch a 16 ft drift boat into that lake?

I am really looking to explore a lake where the bass are incredibly unintelligent, and proves their stupidity by slamming poppers or streamers from an inexperienced at warm water fly fisherman like me. Smaller, more intimate waters, even as small as a couple acres would be terrific, as long as i can launch a drift boat with a 2 wheel drive Ford E150 work van.

Feel free to PM me if you do not want to expose your honey hole. I will keep it under wraps. thanks

Scott Salzer

previously micro brew
WFF Supporter
I have seen drift boats launched at DF but It isn't necessarily easy. With the lower water levels, they move the launch to the south end of the park area. Really isn't enough room to turn around so backing in is the way to go. Can it be done, yes.

Greg Price

Love da little fishies
I have seen drift boats launched at DF but It isn't necessarily easy. With the lower water levels, they move the launch to the south end of the park area. Really isn't enough room to turn around so backing in is the way to go. Can it be done, yes.
thanks scott. It has been over 15 years since i fished it. I remember thinking at the time i would have to "pole" my drift boat through the narrow channel because my 9 foot oars would be in the lilly pads going out to the open water

b_illymac

Soap Lake Posse
WFF Moderator
I have a few thoughts:

Bass are probably not going to be had on topwater at this time as water temps are getting close to 50's.

Honestly I would explore Potholes. There are some monster trout, bass, crappie and perch in that lake. I think casting streamers off the dam face, goose island or medicare beach area would be productive. The low water might make putting the boat in tricky though depending on van?

Sadly most of the seep lakes are closed.

triploidjunkie

This cold snap really confused the warmwater fish. Even the perch weren't where they were a week ago. Billy might be right about the top water bite, but I traditionally fish poppers and especially mice (Moorish) all through October. They like to fatten up before winter. I've got the perfect lake for you if you want to drive over here. Two actually.

Teal101

Waters 60* on main lake Moses right now with the shallower parts hitting the low 50's. Topwater will be iffy anywhere. Streamers would be the ticket. The launches in Lind Coulee on Potholes are still accessible and usable and there is a lot of good water in that area to fish.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts