WDFW Public comment period for Open Water Net Pen Rainbow/Steelhead Farms.

B

bennysbuddy

I don't want these pollution generating fish farms but I also have to ask myself how long can mankind expect to eat salmon (or in this case trout) without aquaculture? I personally don't buy farmed fish- maybe I don't buy it "yet"?
the very reason fish farms are viable is because the native natural fish runs cannot supply the demand for fish by the over population of humans on earth. therefore fish farms are profitable & their products are in demand

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!
the very reason fish farms are viable is because the native natural fish runs cannot supply the demand for fish by the over population of humans on earth. therefore fish farms are profitable & their products are in demand

Farmed salmon is a luxury item, only eaten by people in developed nations. There’s no relationship whatsoever between that and global overpopulation.

And, if there wasn’t so much fish being processed for fish meal to feed farmed salmon, pigs, chickens, etc, there would be enough fish to feed vastly more of the people currently on earth.

Chucker

Chucking a dead parrot on a piece of string!

The actual reason that fish farms are profitable is that they pass on the costs of their operations to the rest of us. If they had to pay for the economic effects of their pollution on the rest of society, they’d all go broke.

JACKspASS

Has there ever been a situation where these fish farms were installed inland with salt water piped into a controlled environment? I am inferring that the disease and escapement problems are coming from open ocean net pens? There has to be a way to isolate farm fish and their problems from native fish

the_chemist

Has there ever been a situation where these fish farms were installed inland with salt water piped into a controlled environment? I am inferring that the disease and escapement problems are coming from open ocean net pens? There has to be a way to isolate farm fish and their problems from native fish
Rearing fish in landlocked facilities is expensive. The gmo Atlantic salmon made landocked facilities commercially viable. it's being sold in Canada but granola dumbasses have blocked it's sale in the states for the last 20 years.

B

bennysbuddy

The actual reason that fish farms are profitable is that they pass on the costs of their operations to the rest of us. If they had to pay for the economic effects of their pollution on the rest of society, they’d all go broke.
This the case for most businesses, it's the reward for employing dumbass people.! look at the tax break Boeing gets for keeping me off the streets, or all the pollution the various manufacturing plants & mills have disposed of into Puget Sound over the years. Not to mention all the raw sewage Victoria B.C. has pumped into the straits over the years.

B

bennysbuddy

Farmed salmon is a luxury item, only eaten by people in developed nations. There’s no relationship whatsoever between that and global overpopulation.

And, if there wasn’t so much fish being processed for fish meal to feed farmed salmon, pigs, chickens, etc, there would be enough fish to feed vastly more of the people currently on earth.
the fish processed into fish meal is generally not fit for human consumption, or it would be made into a fish paste product like imitation crab or salmon patties, in the old day it was dumped back into the water after the eggs where stripped from the fish

Chris Bellows

Your Preferred WFF Poster
the fish processed into fish meal is generally not fit for human consumption, or it would be made into a fish paste product like imitation crab or salmon patties, in the old day it was dumped back into the water after the eggs where stripped from the fish

Most fish harvested for fish meal may not be great for human consumption, but larger fish such as salmon, striped bass, and tuna would be happy to eat them. Most of these fisheries are not for roe but solely for fish oil and meal.

B

bennysbuddy

Most fish harvested for fish meal may not be great for human consumption, but larger fish such as salmon, striped bass, and tuna would be happy to eat them. Most of these fisheries are not for roe but solely for fish oil and meal.
Really all the years I was involved with joint venture pollock trawling we were after the roe, the foreign processing ships dumped the fish overboard to the tune of around 400 metric tons a day

Last edited by a moderator:

Buzzy

This proposal is INSANITY. There's nothing good about this. Tell WDFW and all parties involved to go fak themselves and deny this bullshiiiiiiiiiit
I've been thinking about your comment for a couple days. Not sure I want to tell WDFW or whomever to do as you suggest. However I did write to my legislative district (13) senator and two representatives and asked for their review of WDFW's of this proposal. I am not in favor of Cooke Aquaculture raising fish in Puget Sound and asked the same senator and representatives to do their part in not having this farm permitted. Please do the same.
Pat

b_illymac

Soap Lake Posse
WFF Moderator
Why is this a WDFW issue? Serious question. I don't understand why the people tasked with managing our fish and wildlife are asking the public for comments to essentially allow a private entity to raise farm fish on our public waters. Not a good choice of our tax dollars.

Bruce Baker

Why is this a WDFW issue? Serious question. I don't understand why the people tasked with managing our fish and wildlife are asking the public for comments to essentially allow a private entity to raise farm fish on our public waters. Not a good choice of our tax dollars.
WDFW issues fish transport permits. Cooke Aquaculture (CA) would need one to be able to place any fish in the proposed net pens. I also think that CA needs to provide proof that the fish are disease free or provide samples to be tested.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
We have had uncontrolled development for decades on migratory watersheds...and head turning, no control of additives to those pretty lawns and they deoxengeate waters on those vital tributaries and poison them...so the new plan is to create life and supplant the native or once natives, mostly gone everywhwere...The new definition of native is unclipped...That is funny and sad...a real definition of that semantic game of recreation of reality...What is happeni9ng is there is no halting of the expansion of tax bases , no halting of property owners practices nor abatement of contamination, logging , green spaces or use along primal watersheds. so the new way is to use science to recreate what can't be...Maybe we are at that point?

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts