WDFW Public comment period for Open Water Net Pen Rainbow/Steelhead Farms.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
If this is science I don't believe in it. I think the move toward allowing vital rivers to die needs to be laid at the feet of the managers...WDFW is not viable and has not been for a long time.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
My old man would be 94 this year and he would have a lot to say about this...I heard it before he died...Me I have minimal if any science,,,seen it too. I just know I don't fish steelhead anymore because I would feel guilty enabling this shit....the reasons for the declines are outside of the WSDF control IMO...it's that rush of deveolpment which goes on willy nilly without much control...Progress ho! Eff you!
Money...tax base , politicizing...semanticizing...redefining...obliviousness. self indulgence.all of it...Say good Bye!

Jmills81

The Dude Abides
I've been thinking about your comment for a couple days. Not sure I want to tell WDFW or whomever to do as you suggest. However I did write to my legislative district (13) senator and two representatives and asked for their review of WDFW's of this proposal. I am not in favor of Cooke Aquaculture raising fish in Puget Sound and asked the same senator and representatives to do their part in not having this farm permitted. Please do the same.
Pat
There's no way I'd actually say that, but was just venting frustration. I tend to work more with thank you's and pleases, and another thank you to top it off....

SilverFly

No!!!!!!! fish farming at all In our waters, if they really need to do it figure out a way to do it on land.
They have. It's called Recirculating Aquaculture. Basically these are closed loop systems that re-use the same water after treating it through a series of bio-filters. Frequently in the form of hydroponic vegetables that grow insanely fast in the fish "waste" water.

They've even done work using the waste water and fish carcasses, to grow fish feed, either in the form of high protein aquatic plants, worm beds, or shrimp. Obviously there must be some net input, but in theory, waste can be minimized to near zero by returning those nutrients to the system.

It's high density for both the fish and vegetables, but because it's a controlled, self-contained environment, the disease and/or genetic risks to natural eco-systems is minimal to non-existant. Seems like the ultimate "win-win" to me, and I'd bet this is the future of food. Pick a spot miles from the nearest stream to grow altantics, steelhead, or hell, piranhas for that matter.

If it were me doing a commercial operation, I'd probably pick hybrid striped bass. On a more practical note, we're looking on buying an acre or five in a few years and I'm half-tempted to try a simple version of this with yellow perch in a greenhouse outfitted with LED lighting. Would be nice to have some fresh vegetables (and I mean, tomatoes, beans, etc..) with a perch fry once a week or so.

But as far as Cooke is concerned, this is Washington after all, so maybe the profit margin from hydroponic cannabis would be enough to entice Cooke to invest the capital needed for a land-locked operation. I would think the liability insurance savings alone would be enough. ANYTHING to get the net pens out of the Sound for good.

The University of Arizona has an extensive program on Recirculating Aquaculture if anyone (like Cooke Seafood) wants to learn more:

Last edited:

Albula

swollen member
It appears the Elwha tribe is now a willing partner with Cooke to use repurpose net pens in PA harbor to raise diploid rainbow trout to be marketed as steelhead. Nothing to worry about here. The Elwha are stewards of the resource. You just can't make the stuff up.

Matt B

It appears the Elwha tribe is now a willing partner with Cooke to use repurpose net pens in PA harbor to raise diploid rainbow trout to be marketed as steelhead. Nothing to worry about here. The Elwha are stewards of the resource. You just can't make the stuff up.
No, it is the Jamestown Tribe proposing this, not the Elwha, and they are proposing triploid, not diploid trout.

Last edited:

Latest posts