Art Limber's Wizard

Squamishpoacher

I've dropped in to visit Art a few times this fall. He's 80 this year and still hard at the vise cranking out Wizards and his other beach patterns. I've picked up about 3
dozen from him over the past couple of years. Not that I use them a lot but I thought if I wanted some Wizards from the guy who created it and knows how to tie it best, I better get them. Some I'll fish, some I'll give to my sons, some I'll put aside to remind me of visits with Art.

Some of Art's flies were featured in Art Lingren's 2006 book Contemporary Fly Patterns of British Columbia, published by Frank Amato but now out of print. Here following is the description of the Olive Wizard pattern provided there. I've added in parenthesis any variation I can identify from the flies Art provided me.

Hook: Mustad 34011 or equivalent, size 6 or 8.
Thread: White Danville Plus.
Tail: Fluorescent pink Fluorofibre. (Orange was used on two that I have).
Body: Diamond Braid, colour to suit. (All the ones Art provided have a rainbow coloured braid for the body but one, which has a chartreuse coloured braid. This rainbow colour was a bit hard to obtain a year ago but Wapsi has it again and I think Veevus does as well).
Belly: White polar bear with 4 (sometimes 5) strands of pearl Krystal Flash blended in.
Beard: Fluorescent pink Fluorofibre. (Orange was used on three that I have).
Wing: Rolled teal breast fibres dyed lime, medium olive polar bear mixed with 4 strands of peacock Krystal Flash. (Mallard seems to be the most common wing material now but I have a few with natural teal and some possibly tied with natural wigeon. Colour varies to include natural on a variety Art calls "Snow White", and light brown, however chartreuse is the prevalent colour although some lack the feather wing and only have two complimentary polar bear colours for the wing. Colours of Krystal Flash also vary depending on the colour of the polar bear wing. Pearl, purple, copper and chartreuse are used and sometimes 5 strands are used).
Head: Clear monofilament thread with 1.5 mm (3/32) red or silver (usually red) tape eyes. The head is then epoxy coated. (Art is old school and does not use any type of UV cured adhesive. The head as you will see is quite long and thin).

In the book Art states:
"This is probably the best beach fly that I have ever used in over 30 (now 43) years of beach fishing. Coho take it through the entire season. Cutthroat trout take it well from mid-July until the end of the season. Fish using a fast strip retrieve."

It's best fished on a floating or intermediate polyleader tipped floating line.

I don't think Art gets out on the water much these days. There's a great interview with him you will find on Youtube that was produced by Hook and Vise. If you get a chance, Art still resides almost within casting distance of the beach in Qualicum Bay, BC. It's well worth dropping buy to watch his methods of production and see the other beach patterns that he's developed over the years. Guys like Art who created the Vancouver Island beach fishery are getting fewer in number all the time and we won't likely see their kind again.20191003_181601.jpg

Attachments

1morecast

Art is a great guy. Last time I stopped by he showed me his salmon trolling flies tied with polar bear, incredible tying skills!

Latest posts