Fishing fads, pick one that matters

Drifting man Grann

It has been a few years since I’ve posted on the main fishing form. I think the last time I consistently posted was for the open seats in my Drift Boat fishing on the Yakima river. With two kids and a beautiful wife I’m not fishing as much as I used to.

In the time I have been flyfishing many fads come and gone. somewhere bigger somewhere smaller. There was the Tenkara fad, buff fad and the flat billed hat fad. you may have been sucked into these fats. Maybe you jumped on the anti-nymphing bandwagon, I still see a few cars rocking the never nymph bumper sticker. Three or four years ago Simms and Patagonia started to move away Felt sole boots, claiming the spread of invasive species. A lot of people got overly passionate about that not realizing that the top of your boot can carry just as many invasive species as the sole.

So what’s the next fad fly fishing? Is it possibly the euro Nymphing fad?

My question is simple.
What the hell happened to us! When did we start to care more about the trendy fads then the fish we pursue and the remote places that they call home. How can someone justify spending $400+ on the latest trendy thing maybe it’s the rod vault, euro Nymphing rod, or a 0 Weight Rod. How can we spend money on things that don’t matter but not return to our cars with a full trash bag. How can we spend insane amounts on gear but not donate to organizations trying to save the places that we claim to value so much?

I’ll end my rant by saying. Fuck that Spey fisherman wearing the Simms zipper waders with the big shiny reel on the Cowlitz that dropped his empty beer can in the river on 9-29-19

Northern

It's all good.
I agree with your final paragraph, and I can't remember the last time I went fishing in a beautiful place when I didn't see trash (pick it up) and think "What is the matter with people?!"
But if you think fads in flyfishing are new, and people just started spending on trendy instead of on conservation, I have an automatic reel and oiled fedora to sell you...
(Kids these days! :mad:;))

herkileez

Drone fishing...just a matter of time. ;) ....

When river salmon season starts here, I too am amazed at the Timmy's cups and beer cans that are left behind...I can almost hear the banjos, and I think " It's just sad when cousins marry "...

Hem

The new trend is having 6 rod vaults on your vehicle. Wtf?
Multiple cock and ball vaults has overcome Bozeman.
I fished 3Dollar last two days. Not ONE piece of trash. Thank you visitors.
Now if you dumb shits would spread out instead of jumping in 20 yards in front of me during a BWO hatch. This isn't combat fishing.

Speyrod GB

If you have 20 yards, you are doing well compared to Blue Creek on the Cowlitz standards. :rolleyes: I will never understand why you have have to low hole someone, especially at $3. There is all kinds of room if you walk a little bit. Granted, felt soles on some the grassy slopes can be treacherous, but that is no reason to low hole someone.

Kyle Smith

DBA BozoKlown406
If you have 20 yards, you are doing well compared to Blue Creek on the Cowlitz standards. :rolleyes: I will never understand why you have have to low hole someone, especially at $3. There is all kinds of room if you walk a little bit. Granted, felt soles on some the grassy slopes can be treacherous, but that is no reason to low hole someone.
I like the mud hole at $3. Who here has fallen waist deep in that thing?

Swimmy

I have an amazing collection of fishing shirts
I see companies moving to a more tailored shopping experience to fit the needs of you and your bros.

Think about how cool this would be: simply fill out the style profile and a personal stylist will handpick pieces to fit your tastes, needs, and budget.

Fly fishing fashion will never be the same.

FinLuver

I see companies moving to a more tailored shopping experience to fit the needs of you and your bros.

Think about how cool this would be: simply fill out the style profile and a personal stylist will handpick pieces to fit your tastes, needs, and budget.

Fly fishing fashion will never be the same.
Old becomes...
New again.

Tmik

I think there is a blurry line between trendy fad and exploring a hobby. Fly fishing is my number one hobby that will persist for my entire life. If I am going to spend spare money on something, it is going to be fishing. And if I am doing something 50 times a year for 50 years, you can be sure I will be trying out many different variations of it.

That doesn't mean I will be rushing out to buy Yeti coolers, but I will certainly continue to pick up new rods for new species/types of water. I will also continue to pick up trash and support organizations that have the best interests of our resources in mind.

I'm all in - buying gear and supporting conservation don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Latest posts