Fishing fads, pick one that matters

XP

Mod Extraordinaire
Haven’t picked up the Euro nymph fad yet but I have been trying to pick up a net full of garbage on wade trips. Ever since I saw Stonefish religiously picking up garbage in his stripping basket it made me realize I have no excuse to not use the net or basket to help clean up my fishing spots. I’ve picked up many flip flops and beer cans this summer! That’s a fad we should all be following.

Good post @Drifting man Grann

Last edited:

Jeremy Floyd

Veðrfölnir
Haven’t picked up the Euro nymph fad yet but I have been trying to pick up a net full of garbage on wade trips. Ever since I saw Stonefish religiously picking up garbage in his stripping basket it made me realize I have no excuse to not use the net or basket to help clean up by fishing spots. I’ve picked up many flip flops and beer cans this summer! That’s a fad we should all be following.

Good post @Drifting man Grann
XP for mod was the only trendy flyfishing thing I jumped on recently..

Rock Creek Fan

I see companies moving to a more tailored shopping experience to fit the needs of you and your bros.

Think about how cool this would be: simply fill out the style profile and a personal stylist will handpick pieces to fit your tastes, needs, and budget.

Fly fishing fashion will never be the same.
There are already apps to measure you to get that tailored look. Then there is AI help with coordination of apparel.

'Automation' and AI have already replaced personal stylists. Does that include you @Swimmy (at least here on WFF)???

Buzzy

Old becomes...
New again.
For me this seems to be true. In the early '60's my dad gifted me a bamboo spin/fly rod with a Perrine automaticf(automatic??) reel. I fished McDonald Creek with it and caught a few SRC. Then along came the Draft. Four years later my brother had destroyed the rod so I started over. Spin fishing with fiberglass (fiberglass, is that not becoming all the rage?). After college, I got hooked on fly fishing. Sage was an upstart company and I had an in to the company through a coworker and scored a bargain on a Sage GFL 890-2. I signed up for some lessons at Green Lake, one of the instructors asked to cast the rod. His comment was "tip heavy" He was a bamboo guy. I thought he was conceited. Now I'm becoming interested in bamboo and I owe this in part to @Steve Kokita. Don't think the casting instructor was conceited, he simply preferred bamboo to this new graphite fad.......... and @Driftless Dan pokes fun at graphite. ;-)

Ah, silk lines, cat gut.

Rob Allen

Bitching on the internet about other anglers.

Oh wait....

That's not a fad, it's a time honored tradition and a right of passage. And a good reason to do your steelheading on the one river where people still have manners.

Ohh that reminds me, you in the white Tundra with Oregon plates who were parked at split rock and paddled across then walked down to the pulpit to fish illegally it was me who left the note on your windshield.

sportsman

That's not a fad, it's a time honored tradition and a right of passage. And a good reason to do your steelheading on the one river where people still have manners.

Ohh that reminds me, you in the white Tundra with Oregon plates who were parked at split rock and paddled across then walked down to the pulpit to fish illegally it was me who left the note on your windshield.
Damn Rob, your nicer than I thought. Not sure this douche deserved to have a windshield left.

chromie

I think it’s several reasons....

Fly fishing is a subjective world in that what defines success, what is popular or what is innovative is based on a feel. It can be a clique’ish sport.

Fly fishing has followed the “me” generation in that it has become more about turning oneself into an identity, a brand by buying a brand, the next instagram post than the ability to disconnect and appreciate the intrinsic value of the resource and experience. Easy to stop and take a moment to give back.

Additionally,

Companies need to grow revenue. This is hard to do when innovation opportunity is limited. Fly rods? Good casting rods are pretty cheap nowadays. Reels? Besides being properly machined and saltwater resistant, what extremes do they need to be designed for? Lines? Dear god. How many tapers can a company make? Durability seems the last frontier in line design.

Instead, we see more “options” without actually being innovative. Various rod types, finesse vs distance, bass, fast action vs going “slow action glass. Reels have the same drag system. Lines are cut into specialized tapers. The returns are diminishing in regards to catching more fish or angler experience, however one defines this.

Throw in a declining resource and reduced opportunity and the situation becomes magnified.

I’ve caught more steelhead on an old fenwick and Pflueglar Medalist RC than my new Orvis H3 6wt. I do enjoy new a new rod, reel or line. I just don’t think it makes up for the lack of resources nor does it matter in the online world of “me.”

With all that said, to each their own. I truly enjoy exploring new places, especially overseas. The story of the people, the resource and the adventure of it all has meant more and more to me as time goes on.

Holy shit I sound old!!

Last edited: