Fishing fads, pick one that matters

Rock Creek Fan

When some of us bought our first rod, a graphite one, was it a fad? It has proven not to be one...

We in Washington were really lucky to have great rod designers e.g. Loomis and Sage, that made great rods. We were also fortunate to have Lamson making great reels locally at decent prices compared to European manufacturers. Rods and reels made during that time are still cherished for good reason. They were built for quality and fish-ability... Those companies, among others, made their reputation during those times. Word of mouth was the primary advertising for them. Local shops could be trusted for their advice. Local fly tyers were well renowned. We bought and read their books to learn more and better ourselves.

Fly fishing shows became a big part of advertising by getting the word out. Our pioneers; Kreh, Whitlock, Dennis, the Wulff's, Rajeff, Bailey, Combs, Bakke,, among others, would attend. We learned from the best IMHO...

With the advent of mass advertising and then the internet it was/is all about marketing aka hype. Who could build the best with the latest materials, cast the furthest, build the lightest, the most expensive, etc., while during this time it became less about fish-ability. If it was/is not the latest and greatest, it was/is old and outdated. So products have became fads because they are only good until the next generation comes out.

IMHO... BS!!! Fly fishing has been happening for centuries. Lots of fish were caught. No need to have the latest product (fad). Enjoy what you have, learn how to use it well all the while improving your skills and having fun!

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Wow! I'm surprised that @Swimmy and his bros haven't jumped on this one yet. And it can carry over to skiing!

Fashion.jpg

#burgeoningfashionista #wadeinstyle #beatrendsetter

Kilgore

Bitching on the internet about other anglers.

Oh wait....
Agreed... but maybe, just MAYBE I'm justified in complaining about the guy who came down the river bank a couple of days ago, where I was stalking and casting to a trout rising to BWOs.

He looked at me, then walked 20 yards downstream to launch his remote-controlled toy boat... then motored it right up toward where I was standing!

Guess what? This puts fish down! I snapped these photos on the way back to my car.

Can anyone beat that?

:)

Attachments

chadk

Be the guide...
Well, for those that know me from the early days on this site, I'm not one to get too invested in tradition OR fads. I just do my thing. My gear isn't about a statement. My medalist reel isn't a rebellion against $600 hyped gear or a desire to look retro and traditional. I just found it simple, effective, budget friendly, and practical. I own several for that reason and don't care what someone else thinks about them. To be honest, I do like a lot of the sexy new gear, but just can't justify spending the $$$. I have higher priorities. And if it ain't broke I won't be fixing it most of the time.

That said, if someone does have the money and wants to spend it on some new toys, I don't really care. Your money. Enjoy.

Finally, I do think we can all agree (or close to all) on not being a slob. Cleaning up after yourself and hopefully others. Respecting the resources and respecting others.

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
I love people who rush out to buy the latest gear offerings each year, without them I'd never be able to fish the nice, barely used rods I have....
Not paying the freight on 800- 1000 plus dollar new rods, but happy to pony up 400 or so after a few years of little use.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Fishing fads? I’ve always been an anti-nympher (didn’t realize there was a movement against it!) But that’s only because i still don’t know what the hell i’m doing while nymphing. I will occasionally use a prince nymph or chironomids and i just hope that the fish hook themselves. it happens at times.

As far as fashion - I wear the same clothes i wore 20 years ago - my favorite green hoodie under my waders and I switch off between two t-shirts in summer or a long sleeve henley in cooler weather. I have a bright blue old Gortex jacket too that i’ve also owned since the 1990’s. Of course it helps that i don’t go out as much as y’all do.

It cracks me up that people actually buy fishing clothes like regular clothes.

I fish with one 5 wt rod since until last month i only owned one. Now i will probably only fish with my 3 wt. Before i bought this rod i had not purchased any fly fishing gear for years and years with the exception of leader, tippet and flies.

Yard Sale

Huge Member
Agreed... but maybe, just MAYBE I'm justified in complaining about the guy who came down the river bank a couple of days ago, where I was stalking and casting to a trout rising to BWOs.

He looked at me, then walked 20 yards downstream to launch his remote-controlled toy boat... then motored it right up toward where I was standing!

Guess what? This puts fish down! I snapped these photos on the way back to my car.

Can anyone beat that?

Yeah, but was he trolling lures or flies? This matters.

Steve Kokita

FISHON206

Can anyone beat that?

Since he already put the fish down and ruined your fun.....time for rock throwing target practice at his moving target!

Latest posts